Trailer rubber coin flooring install- question

beac83

Looking for some advice.

I'm doing some trailer upgrades this spring, and have purchased a rubber mat with raised coin pattern for the floor.

The question is what do I use to attach the rubber mat to the plywood floor? Staples? Adhesive? something else? Is attaching the mat to the floor necessary anyway?

Thanks in advance.

lplonske

is it interlocking squares, non-interlocking squares or in a roll? depending on what it is and who makes it you may need or very specific (pressure sensitive) adhesive or as little as double sided tape or nothing at all

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I would definitely contact the company that sells the product. You might use the 3M spray adhesive and then have problems due to the heat generated inside when sitting in the summer sun. I knew a guy that put down a big sheet inside his and it ended up buckling in areas. I think it would be best to have the manufacturer tell you what to use.

beac83

It's the roll stuff. Designed for putting on the garage floor. The roll is still sealed, so I haven't read the instructions. I guess I need to cut it open and deal with the unraveling. :)

Buckeye96

I tried the interlocking coin floor and had all kinds of problems. In the summer heat it would expand by a good inch.

GriffinD

The rubber will definitely expand & contract similar to how a wood floor moves especially in heat / cold. I'd look at going to double fact tape route making sure to get all perimeter edges. If you glue it, full spread it all over the plywood & make sure to allow for "set up" time for the glue. You may have to wait 20-30 minutes for the glue to tack up.....call the manufacturers tech dept though & see what they suggest.

:cheers:

G2G

beac83;233131 wrote: It's the roll stuff. Designed for putting on the garage floor. The roll is still sealed, so I haven't read the instructions. I guess I need to cut it open and deal with the unraveling. :)
Couple of questions

where did you buy the flooring
what size trailer is it for
how much did it cost?

j_fuggin_t

G2G;233430 wrote: Couple of questions

where did you buy the flooring
what size trailer is it for
how much did it cost?
this ;)

as for attaching it, a nice big washer and a carriage bolt style would work well, won't protrude up and it will be secure, with as hot as it gets in a trailer i can see the adhesive getting pretty gummy.

lplonske

if it's on a roll it for sure needs adhesive. johnsonite it very popular., i'll check when i get back to work about which adhesive to use.

lplonske

j_fuggin_t;233451 wrote: this ;)

as for attaching it, a nice big washer and a carriage bolt style would work well, won't protrude up and it will be secure, with as hot as it gets in a trailer i can see the adhesive getting pretty gummy.
if it calls for pressure sensitive it takes extreme heat to remove it. when we have to "fix" these we use a torch to remove the tiles. you could honestly glue a car to a ceiling with that stuff

lplonske

For application in areas subject to
heavy point loads, rolling loads,
topical moisture, or temperature
extremes use:
Johnsonite 975 Two-Part Urethane
Adhesive

about johc975:
Pourous & non-pourous floors:
1/8x1/16x1/8 V notch trowel.
Coverage 125 - 150 sq. ft. per gallon.
nonstock - no returns or cancellations
$140 plus freight

For standard application use:
Johnsonite 965 Flooring and Tread
Adhesive

about 965:

Item - JOH965G

Pourous substrate: 1/16x1/16x1/16 sq notch
trowel. 125 - 150 sf per gal.
Non-pourous substrate: 1/16x1/16x1/16 V notch
trowel. 150-175 sf per gal.
Comfortech, Inertia, Triumph & Replay: use
1/8x1/16x1/8 V notch trowel.

$50.00

j_fuggin_t

lplonske;233478 wrote: if it calls for pressure sensitive it takes extreme heat to remove it. when we have to "fix" these we use a torch to remove the tiles. you could honestly glue a car to a ceiling with that stuff
Good to know, you def know more than i on that floor stuff

beac83

Thanks for the specifics Lee. I figured I'd need to glue it somehow. Just need to wait until it's warm enough to do that sort of work.

Come on May!