Trailer size?

gsxr11

I'm currently looking for a open trailer but do not know the size need for a 2 or 3 bike maybe 4 bike. Please help

rk97

You could probably squeeze 4 bikes on a 6x10 or 5x12 if you have pit-bull TRS setups for the two bikes in the rear.

That would allow you to stagger the bikes without crossing straps through the wheels of the bikes in front.

z064life

rk97;255745 wrote: You could probably squeeze 4 bikes on a 6x10 or 5x12 if you have pit-bull TRS setups for the two bikes in the rear.

That would allow you to stagger the bikes without crossing straps through the wheels of the bikes in front.
I wouldn't go shorter than 14' on 4 bikes simply so they can go front wheel to back wheel. You are going to be tight going 4 wide on a stagger

My enclosed trailer is 8.5x16 with a 4' V in the front and that gets 5 bikes..granted that also has room for all the tools/equipment/etc...but the 5th bike is staggered between the front 2 in the V

Gorilla

Control Rider
6x14 at least I used to do three on a 6x12 two in front & one in back splitting the two in front and it was cramped.

SGT-CHAOS

I think a 6 x12 for 3 bikes. I will confirm this for this weekend. Cause a trailer is supposed to be used for more than just putting on the bikes. You have a table, a tent, chairs, fuel jugs, cooler, tool box and other things that you might want to bring. Not to mention enough room to strap and get around them.

The Sergeant-

gsxr11

Ok thank u I think I'll look for a 6x10 that should fit 2 bikes and I may have extra room for tools. Will the 6x10 fit 2 bikes facing forward side by side

rk97

...so don't use straps.

I think you could squeeze 4 onto an open trailer (no wall for the bars to hit) with the TRS setup.

Two bikes up front with one as close to the left rail as possible, and one as close to the right rail as possible while still leaving room on the right for the front wheel of the bike thats going behind it.

Front wheel of the left rear bike goes between the rear wheels of the front two bikes. Easier to draw than explain, but directly nose-to-tail is inefficient use of space.

And remember, with an open trailer, you can walk around the outside to get things in place or load more stuff. There is no getting trapped against a wall or stuck in a corner with 4 bikes to climb over.

rk97

gsxr11;255754 wrote: Ok thank u I think I'll look for a 6x10 that should fit 2 bikes and I may have extra room for tools. Will the 6x10 fit 2 bikes facing forward side by side
My 4x8 fits two bikes facing forward side-by-side. Not much else though.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
gsxr11;255758 wrote: Thank u I seen a 5x8 and it looked like only one bike could fit on there
It's most definitely possible to fit two sport bikes on a 5x8. I did it plenty times on my old (open) trailer.

Meat

Is there a reason you are trying to go with the smallest trailer possible? It is fine if you are, but having a bigger trailer than you need makes loading and unloading much easier.

If you are trying to maximize fuel mileage, the main thing to worry about in a trailer is the cross-sectional area (height and width). Length doesn't really add much drag.

I use a 7X14 LowHauler with a V-nose for one bike and gear. I just put the bike in and throw everything side-by-side on the floor and drive off. Super low stress and so convenient.

moto1320

I use an open 5x8 and take 2 bikes side by side using straps and 4 gas cans just fine. Everything else fits in the SUV but I could put the cooler, tools, and tires back there if I had to as well.

Meat

gsxr11;255782 wrote: I don't own a pick up just a 2011edge and a 2012focus and can't really pull a big enclose
I can definitely understand why you want to go as small as possible now.

some guy #2

2 bikes on a 4x8 open trailer with straps is no problem. I've seen pictures of 3 but I think they modified the trailer a little bit to make room.

Luggageboy

Don't know if this will help you create an idea in your head but I have a 6x13 that I could fit at least 4 bikes and tools on with maneuvering room.

finny47

gsxr11;255782 wrote: I don't own a pick up just a 2011edge and a 2012focus and can't really pull a big enclose
I've got a 2010 Edge and pull an enclosed 6x12 non-V nose with two bikes and have done several 500 mile round trips this year. That vehicle has 3500 pound capacity. My trailer is 1200 and probably another 1200 pounds with the bikes and junk. No suspension mods.

Mileage drops to about 12-14 mpg.

gsxr11

finny47;255883 wrote: I've got a 2010 Edge and pull an enclosed 6x12 non-V nose with two bikes and have done several 500 mile round trips this year. That vehicle has 3500 pound capacity. My trailer is 1200 and probably another 1200 pounds with the bikes and junk. No suspension mods.

Mileage drops to about 12-14 mpg.
Did your truck come with a trailer hitch or did u add it after u bought the truck

finny47

My hitch was aftermarket. Easy to install Class III. Just need to unhook exhaust from rear rubber mount and install hitch receiver, plus run a wire to the front for the battery. If you do it, lube the rubber to make it slip off much easier.
Buy a 2" drop hitch and invert it to make it a 2" lift and trailer should sit completely level.