Trailer Stands, Pitbull, Baxley, Condor

ceptorman

I'm looking for opinions or advice on trackbike stands. I already have front and rear stands. I have an enclosed trailer and really like the Pitbull transport stand ($250) but it's for transporting only...can't be used in the paddock. The Condor and Baxley are both nice too, and can be used as transport and paddock stands, (both about $220) I am planning on getting into WERA racing and will be getting tire warmers and none of these stands will work with warmers...just the front and rear stands. Any input would be great....thanks.....Bill

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Do what I did and make your own strapless stand for less than $30. Then use the leftover cash and buy a Baxley. I used to have a Baxley and used it for transporting inside my trailer. When I made the strapless, I really no longer needed it. A buddy of mine uses his in the paddock to roll into as he comes off the track. When he's ready to get the bike into the stands, he just lifts up the rear with the stand and pulls it out of the Baxley. Works like a charm and he doesn't have to worry about his bike falling over.

The Pit-Bull restraints are really really nice. But they are bike specific and if you want to by extra pins, they are like $80. Which ever way you go, having a nice trailer system is worth every penny.

ceptorman

Hey Jim, your stand would work great with my RC because it has a hollow rear axel. The SV does not, but I could weld some kind of round tubing or channel to each side of the swingarm to run that round rod through. I like your idea, no more tiedowns to come undone, trip over, and worrying about harming the suspension. Thank you....Bill

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Bill, you are entirely welcome. It took me an entire afternoon to make one. It about 3 hours to make the second one. The only piece that I really had to think about was bolting it to the floor of the trailer. STStands uses a plate that is bolted to the floor and the stand sort of clips into the plate. I didn't have the machine shop to make the plate so I made something different. I mounted 1/4 inch plates under the trailer floor and tapped a hole in it. I bought some outdoor faucet handles and put a 1/4x20 bolt through and that assembly goes through the stand and the floor holding it very tightly. I've since welded a nut to the bottom of the plate to give me more threads for a secure hold. I've used this system for two years now and it has performed extremely well. Especially for the price! If you get to the point where you might want to fabricate something, let me know. I can get some pictures or measurements if you like.

ceptorman

Great idea the faucet handles for more grip. I think I'll tackle this project....thanks again.
Care to exchange avatar pics?

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Actually I don't really use the faucet handles like that. I use a drill with a 7/16 socket to secure them down. The handle just allows me to get the threads started. Here's my work of art!

TwoTyres

Jim, i like the stand and i think I'm going to fab up one at work.
I assume you use it on the front? and are you only using the rod pushed through the axle, how do you keep the bike tight on it and not have it move side to side? are bushings needed?

aronhalt

Often thought of making something like this. I would like to have more info to get me started as well.

Does your stand pivot in the trailer so you can rock it up into place? Looks like you have a tube on the base to pin it on a pivot point.

More info would be great. Sounds like a sticky post!

TwoTyres

Its based on the strapless stand. www.ststands.com/main.cfm

After looking at them i saw how they worked and have made all the pieces. I will weld them together this week.
The stand doesn't pivot, you put the rod through the rear axle and then it will ride up the guide ramps into the stand where the locking tabs hold it in there. I have some nylon that i will use to make bushings to support the bike axle and stop metal on metal contact.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Lee, I had a couple of old swing-arm sliders that I cut down and made into spacers for the axle rod. I guess you've got the idea as well. I've also used large flat washers when I was transporting other bikes. Either way, it doesn't have to be snug, just close enough that it doesn't slide around too much.

aronhalt

I see. Thanks. BTW, I think I see one difference....

The plate that is bent and inserted between the axle bar in the tube on your version...seems that the ST version has a piece on either side of the axle bar. If I make one, I'll likely do the same to keep the load of the thin portion of the tube and instead distribute it over a longer portion of the inner tube wall. Might fail under fatigue after some use otherwise.

Also, have you noticed any fretting wear inside the axle on the bike? As the bike shifts while going down the road I could see the bar causing some wear in the axle tube.

Just trying to think this through before I invest too much time into it.

Thanks again...

TwoTyres

So here is the strapless stand i made for it. i copied the idea from strapless transport stands. www.ststands.com/main.cfm
Only cost $17 in parts and i fabbed it at work.

stand004.jpg

stand003.jpg

stand002.jpg

stand001.jpg

Works pretty well, only takes a few seconds to load the bike. I also made it removable by making a mounting plate and fixing it under the trailer.