Trailer Tales

Motofun352

Control Rider
Sunday and Monday were fun at Summit, I don't recall any serious medical, at least I hope not. Monday afternoon's ride home was an "experience". Heading north on 81 in that unbelievable deluge the fifth wheel started rocking, I figured it was the strong cross wind. I kept creeping along until a fellow driver gave me the pull over sign...ie he was pointing and looked like he was having a fit. I was at exit 17 (the second Chambersburg exit) so I get off to see what's up. The right rear wheel is almost off and at a strange angle, the bearing has failed. Since I'm only 2 feet off the exit ramp and folks are still going 75 mph up the ramp there's no way I can do anything right there. I figure I've got to go another 75 yards up the ramp to a safer place....That's when the wheel exits stage left right into the middle of the ramp. HOLY SH*T, I jump out of the truck and try to keep anyone from smacking it ..whew...success! I 5 wheel it up and over rt 81 into a Target parking lot only to get hammered by the second torential downpour FML.
Now the good news, it's about 4:30 and I get ahold of Brechbill trailers in Chambersburg. I pull the opposite wheel and 4 wheel it to their shop about 3 miles away. They let me camp there overnight and first thing this morning they fix me up, even inspect the opposite wheel and do a PM on that bearing...just in case. These folks are top notch and they have an amazing parts warehouse to boot. I figure I'm lucky all the way around. No one got hurt, I got home in one piece and the only thing is some messed up skirting on the trailer. Go figure, replacing all the bearings and repacking them was on my list for this winters maintenance.

Jester

Yamahawkins
Control Rider
Director
Wow glad to hear it turned out ok for you Jack. Thanks for everything this past weekend!