Tread depth for tech spec

sshort

Steve Short
What process is used during tech spec to evaluate tire condition? June 2nd will be my first track day and I'm trying to cover all my bases. Of course a new set of skins would be ideal but I'm on a pretty tight budget and am approaching 50% on the rear. I currently have Michelin Road 2's mounted (again I realize not ideal for the track but it's not a dedicated ride). I can't find depth specs at the Michelin site so measured the tread depth as close to the center as possible on a new set and have compared this to my current set. I'm not trying to get by with anything but don't want to fail tech if I'm not evaluating the wear the same as during inspection.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Per the riders manual, a minimum of 50% tread depth in the center of the tire. There were two guys at the last Summit event that were below the 50% level. They both failed tech and needed to replace the rear tire prior to riding. If you are unsure, it's better to get a new tire and remove the uncertainty from the equation. Other than that, maybe you could post a picture of the tire and we could advise you beforehand.

sshort

Steve Short
Thanks for the feedback. I'll post a pic in about a week as next weekend I have a rally in NC during which I plan to dial in some recent suspension mods. Once that's done I'm pulling her to prep for the track so the wear won't change much beyond that. Still curious what method is used for evaluation, just curious.
Steve

Gorecki

A lot of times tread depth is up to 5-6mm maybe more.

But most of the time around here the answers your going to get is "Tires are cheap insurance!" and "If you're unsure, change it!".

At tech, they're going to eyeball it. The people doing it have done it a few thousand times. No one's going to break out a micro meter to measure it.

I've tossed tires with way more than 1/2 of the tread, sure most here have.

All I can tell you is "Tires are cheap insurance!" and "If you're unsure, change it!".

sshort

Steve Short
Copy that, there's great prices about on the new Bridgestone s-20's so will probably try and swing a set, and toss the Road 2's back on after VIR
Steve

bibmen

It has been awhile since I have seen a Road 2 as I do not stock them. Take a look down in the sipes, there may be depth indicators. If they are there they are at 50%. Also if this is your commuter bike as well there may be flat spots which can cause issues in transitions on the track by reducing your contact patch on turn in. Get a set of track tires if you can it is cheap insurance and the fun factor will go up.
David

tech

for my very first event w/NESBA, I failed tech due to worn brake pads. the NESBA tech inspection is thorough (including all gear), as it should be.

bibmen

By the way the tread depth on a new Road 2 depends on the size on the rear, what size is your tire?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Another thing to consider is how old your tires are. There's a date code on the side. It'll come after "DOT" and be 4 digits. For example "2609" means the tire was made in the 26th week of 2009. If they're more than a few years old, that would be reason enough for me, no matter what the tread depth.

sshort

Steve Short
Thanks for all the great feedback, My tire sizes on the S3 are 190/50-ZR7 and 120/70ZR17 with date codes of 2111. I generally ride about 12K a year with most of that being on my Rocket III. But I'll go through at least a set of tires per bike per year. The nice thing about living in East Tennessee is a great deal of the time is spent in the twisties so shouldering tires isn't as common esp with a dual compound. The rear on the S3 will just be at the ~50% mark, not so far that I would be afraid of it but I just don't want to fail tech if on border.

In the last month I've upgraded susp components to Racetech gold (comp and rebound), resprung the front along with an Eibach respring of the rear and just changed pads all round to EBC HH compound. Will refresh fluids (oil, coolant and brake) next month prior to track time. Between these upgrades and getting the track gear and rig ready to roll I was hoping to avoid another expense. I've always said tires are the most important part of any vehicle and probably will follow everyone's (and my inner monologue) and pony up for a new set.

Again I really appreciate the advice here and am looking forward meeting y'all and hopefully riding together, well if I ever get skilled enough ;)

Steve