Trying to Settle a Bet...

CleverRiver6

In a discussion with my brother and we have a difference of opinion that we were hoping some of your more experienced folks would be able to shed some light on.

So I am arguing that the race line changes when you reverse the direction of the track, clockwise vs counter clockwise. My brother believes the race line stays the same regardless of which direction your run the track.

What's does everyone else think?

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
It changes.

To find the entrance to any corner you must first find the exit. So in one direction, depending on the camber, increasing/decreasing radius, and other characteristics of any given turn, the apex will also change depending on clockwise vs counter-clockwise direction you're running.

An apex that works going clockwise, might lead you directly into a wall running in the other direction and trying to use the same apex.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Agreed, it changes. Once, I rode a track in reverse direction but the cones weren't changed. Made it interesting.

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
Darrin hit it right on the head. Your line through a turn is all dependant upon where you want to be on the exit. The best way to determine your line on a track is to draw it backwards. It's a bit easier to explain visually, but essentially you start with the last turn on the track, which is usually before a fast straight. You find the exit of that turn that gives you the most drive down the straight, then work your way backwards. Ok, I want to be 'here' out of turn 10, what is the best path through that turn that puts me there. That will determine your apex and entry point for that turn as well. Now that you have an entry point, you need to figure out the best path to get to that point from the previous turn. And so on, and so on...
Make sense? Like I said, a bit easier to explain visually.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Like said above, it absolutely changes. And there's different lines for qualifying, racing, and track days. And different horsepower bikes. The superbike line is going to be different than the SV650 line as well.

slowohioboy

Better yet prove it to him and go do a two day track weekend at Grattan in Michigan, you will go one direction day one, and Opposite Day 2.......

Best way to prove it is to go and literally do it over a two day weekend.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Grattan! Love that place! I only did 1/2 day of CCW. Totally hated it, but probably due to the lack of time spent. Many, many laps CW!

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
I hate to tell you this but your brother is correct, you hit same apexes. He must be older than you…:D