Turning off Lights for trackday Question

blueninja1

From what access points do I disconnect the front and rear lights on an 09-12 zx6r. In the NESBA handbook it says the lights must be turned off for the trackday. I took a peek at my bike and there seems to be a plug-looking thing that is around the vicinity of the headlight housing but I am unsure how to unplug it or if I should unplug it from that area. I don't want to be tugging on random switches. I have the service manual but it does not go into specifics for unplugging/disabling the lights. I am assuming the rear lights have a plug under the passenger seat. If anyone can assist with pics or info I would appreciate it. Thanks.

matt2212

Pulling fuses on the headlights disables the ignition

Blue look for the headlight connector it may take pulling the bodywork back or just unplug the bulb

You don't have to unplug them you just have to use enough tape that they can't be seen 1 or 2 layers of blue painters tape and 1 layer of black duct tape should do. the rear should be under the seat and easy to find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blueninja1

Okay cool. I've heard that sometimes the light will melt the tape, is that true? Lol one day I was looking for something in my toolbox and my head was bent over in the path of the headlight and it was actually kind of burning my skin from 1-2 feet away. That is pretty intense for just the regular daytime running light. Had no idea they could generate that kind of heat.

andykurz

As long as they are off, you won't have melting issues...

Pull fuse (maybe not on your mk / model), pull wire, pull bulb. All work.

matt2212

blueninja1;266933 wrote: OK cool. I've heard that sometimes the light will melt the tape, is that true? Lol one day I was looking for something in my toolbox and my head was bent over in the path of the headlight and it was actually kind of burning my skin from 1-2 feet away. That is pretty intense for just the regular daytime running light. Had no idea they could generate that kind of heat.
Before I converted my bike to track only I taped over my lights without any problems, had regular and then HID lights. The best bet is just to find the connector and unplug it it is really very easy and should take less than 2 minutes

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
matt2212;266929 wrote: Pulling fuses on the headlights disables the ignition

Blue look for the headlight connector it may take pulling the bodywork back or just unplug the bulb

You don't have to unplug them you just have to use enough tape that they can't be seen 1 or 2 layers of blue painters tape and 1 layer of black duct tape should do. the rear should be under the seat and easy to find

Disclaimer: I don't own a '09 or newer ZX6.

It doesn't make any electrical sense to run your headlight and ignition off the same fuse. So you blow your headlight fuse and it leaves you stranded? Kinda stupid...

matt2212

Otto Man;267306 wrote: Disclaimer: I don't own a '09 or newer ZX6.

It doesn't make any electrical sense to run your headlight and ignition off the same fuse. So you blow your headlight fuse and it leaves you stranded? Kinda stupid...
Although it may be dumb it is a safety feature on many bikes to prevent people from running without headlights ( illegal and dangerous) these where street bikes first so.....

when I first started track days and I tried to pull the headlight fuse I thought " this is stupid" when my bike would not power up after I pulled the fuse. Then I found connectors easily accessible to unplug the lights

devildogae

Would like to know for sure, I can turn off all my lights easily, but taping would take more time to prep. Btw, how much brake pads do you need to pass, and if for some reason it's really low, vendors should be there to help that early?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
devildogae;277063 wrote: Old thread, but if I turn my lights off, I don't need to tape over them correct?
No, you still need to tape them. The tape helps prevent any glass (bulbs) from ending up on the track in case you fall.

JRA

Don't try to skimp on your brake pads. You use your brakes a lot harder and for a lot longer on the track than you do on the street so that would make them pretty important, right? The consequences of what could happen are reason enough to make sure your bike is right in all aspects before you attempt to take it on the track.

Ruhe52

If they are past half used I would carry a spare set. No guarantee vendor or someone else is going to have what you want or need. Call Chuck and put in an order after you unplug and tape your lights.

Mike Ruhe
SE CR 52
2006 Yamaha R6
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2010 BMW S1000rr
2011 Suzuki GSXR 750

Support our Servicemen and Women
www.swettwarriors.org

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson

bluers

When I upgraded mine I kept the stockers as a backup for me or someone else. They had plenty of life left, but I wanted to upgrade.

devildogae

I just ordered some SS brake lines, so I'm going to have my bike ready before I get there with new pads as well. Don't want to sit our or miss anything for my first track day with NESBA

You will be asked to tape over the headlights, the mirrors, the turn signals, the taillight and the license plate light, if any of these are on the bike.