TV at the track..???? how do you do it?

Myers

Control Rider
Question came up over a dinner discussion... When staying at the track.. how do you get TV to watch at night or for the wife to watch during the day? Any suggestions?

thanks
Len

damiankelly

One option if you are a comcast subscriber is to use wifi from a comcast hotspot (free if you use your comcast password)
You could stream youtube, hulu or netflix etc.
obviously limited unless near the spots-- attached map-- http://hotspots.wifi.comcast.com/

You can also tether an ipad to an Iphone if setup as a hot spot anywhere.

Myers

Control Rider
D-Zum;267782 wrote: Toy hauler
I just picked up.a used hauler and the dish has been removed from the roof. do i buy another one? do you have to pay subscription fees? etc... sorry brand new territory for me and the wife would like tv at the track? thanks for all the help folks!

andykurz

For newer TV's, you can get some over the air channels if you have an antenna ("bunny ears"). It's how I get TV channels at home. You can usually get major networks FOX, CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS. These channels will be in HD and there may be many others that are available.

However, signal availability is based on proximity to the broadcast tower. Since most towers are in urban areas, and most tracks are in rural areas, you may only get some of the channels above.

In 2010 (?) they converted broadcasts from analog to digital, so any older TV (basically any non-flatscreen + some exceptions exceptions) will not pick up digital signals without a converter box.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
If you get a Slingbox and are someplace with a WiFi connection,you can watch your own home tv from a computer or tablet.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Ballpeen;267831 wrote: I just picked up.a used hauler and the dish has been removed from the roof. do i buy another one? do you have to pay subscription fees? etc... sorry brand new territory for me and the wife would like tv at the track? thanks for all the help folks!
Yep..you'll probably have to get your own dish and pay subscription fees..so is it worth it?

Depends on how much you use your camper...maybe you do other family things with it besides track days....so that justifies the cost.

Not for me..don't use my camper for anything but track days at this point..and I'm too busy there to watch TV. I've set up my antenna at every track to see what I get off the air and to hopefully catch the local weather broadcast some mornings..and I don't get much if anything.

What we usually do with my TV is bring some DVD's and watch movies in the evening with some popcorn and a few beers to relax. Nice way to cap off the evening after a nice dinner.

ERB68

Forget tv.... if you must, bring some dvd's or movies on a flash drive.
seriously go out and meet people it way better!

D-Zum

Mechanicsburg?

I was just at Karns Performance last Saturday dropping off my GSXR1000 to get it squared away for this season.

Jason does AWESOME work.

Myers

Control Rider
i live about 2 miles from there... havent been able to get in during hours. Thanks for the heads up ill have to check him out!!
If you ever need me to pick up anything from there and bring it to a trackday let me know and ill grab it on the way

Len

Dave561

Control Rider
I don't know. Guy comes all the way up here and doesn't call to grab a beer. Not sure if I'd help a guy like that :D

D-Zum

Thanks Ballpeen.

My apologies Dave. No excuses. Pm me
Your digits and we will make that happen when I
Pick up the bike.

Myers

Control Rider
oh.... Ill pick it up.. but it'll cost him .. mmmm a 6 pack at the track and i will release the part to him :rtfm:

D-Zum

Ballpeen;267929 wrote: oh.... Ill pick it up.. but it'll cost him .. mmmm a 6 pack at the track and i will release the part to him :rtfm:
That's NEVER a problem.