Type of bike question?

Ahhhhhsum

Some buddies and I flick around some heavier bikes here in the mountains of Western North Carolina. Concours14s, FJRs, etc. But we long to get on tracks one of these days. Do you allow those type of bikes? past Intro? I noticed the novice class requires the removal of mirrors...that is not exactly an easy thing to do with a C14 (Built into the body of the bike somewhat). Some Supersport touring guys across the USA manage to find track days to participate in....is this one of those? (specifically the one in garysburg, nc) Thanks

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I've seen some sport tourers at our days, VFRs mostly, and an older Nighthawk once. I don't have the definitive answer. The directors are at the track this weekend. If one of them doesn't answer you on the forum soon, send an email to support@n2td.org and someone will answer your question.

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
I will let the N2 staff address questions about specific bikes but in general I will say that it usually depends on the group. I have seen some very interesting bikes in the pit with B group stickers on them. Everything from sport tourers to vintage bikes to Hayabusas. Typically though, once people start increasing speed and skill level they transition to a more track focused bike like the R6/R1, GSXR, etc. This is for a number of reasons but you will find that since these bikes are designed for track use, they provide a better platform for the rider to learn on. That being said, skill level plays a HUGE part in how quick a rider can be out there regardless of the type of bike. For example, the YCRS instructors use FZ1's for coaching and providing 2-up rides and most of them are faster and smoother than any A group rider out there. Also, I would be willing to bet that most of the AMA Vance and Hines Harley Davidson riders would be tough to keep up with in A group. Bottom line, as your skill increases and you are riding correctly and smoothly out there, the type of bike should be a very small part of the equation. But again, you will find that certain bikes, being designed for racing and track use, are solid platforms to progress on. Have I contradicted myself enough in this reply? ;)

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I do think, in answer to your mirror question, that if they are integrated with the bodywork they can probably be left on. Taped. Then folded in if possible.

You're probably aware that center stands can cause ground clearance problems. Something to pay attention to, as you'll probably lean further on the track than in the twisties!:)

If the mirrors are reasonably easy to remove, they are to be removed in all groups except intro, as you've noted. My gixxer mirrors were a pain, as the turn signals are in them, and the wiring is tucked way up under the screen. But it's track only now, lol.

I hope you were able to get the definitive answer by email...

bowtie76

I ran a 06 Triumph ST in the intermediate group with no issues,

That said I just got an R6 for track duties cause pushing the big bike would really wear me out by the end of the day.