UHAUL Trailer question

blueninja1

hey all,

in all seriousness as opposed to the other thread lol.

can anyone help me out with some info regarding hauling in a uhaul motorcycle trailer. i'm pretty much gettin my car hooked up with everything needed to haul one. when i mount the motorcycle on the trailer i am assuming i will also have to tie it down? how many tie down points does the trailer have? How many straps should i use? what straps would u recommend? I do not have any so where is the best place to order from that delivers within a few days? Lastly, is there anymore equipment i may need?

thx guys.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
blueninja1;197340 wrote: hey all,

can anyone help me out with some info regarding hauling in a uhaul motorcycle trailer. i'm pretty much gettin my car hooked up with everything needed to haul one. when i mount the motorcycle on the trailer i am assuming i will also have to tie it down? how many tie down points does the trailer have? How many straps should i use? what straps would u recommend? I do not have any so where is the best place to order from that delivers within a few days? Lastly, is there anymore equipment i may need?

thx guys.
Yes, you will have to tie it down because it's a U-Haul rental trailer. You'd incur a severe penalty cost if you modify it.

Tie down points will depend on the trailer you select, if any.

I'd use four straps. Two front and two rear with Ancra Buddy Ties for each so you can use the soft tie to keep any hard/metal/scratching hooks/wratches, etc away from your bodywork and/or rubbing on any critical components.

I'd recommend these tie downs because the hook has the spring loaded clip that will/should keep the tie down hook from becoming un-attached.

Ultimately you may find a small trailer like this from Harbor Freight if there's one near you..you can then add your own mount points and any other little customizations that suit your setup better.

http://www.harborfreight.com/steel-side-panel-kit-for-4-ft-x-8-ft-trailer-47423.html

With your own trailer, ultimately you could buy a Pit Bull TRS, bolt the mount plate to the floor and loading and unloading becomes VERY easy with absolutely NO stress on your suspension. It's also pretty much a "buy once, own for a lifetime" system. You get a different bike..just buy the new pins for the rear axle...done deal.

cooker1

thx guys.
I had to rent a uhaul bike trailer for my GFs harley 1 time was pretty good had wheel chock and wasnt hard to tie down had rings put 2 on front end and 1 through back wheel hauled fine I dont know about tiedowns I just use ratchet type it all depends on how much money you want to spend cause with this sport the sky's the limit !

Meat

thx guys.
You mean this thread?:
blueninja1;197223 wrote:
dude i could honestly care less of what others think of me. i don't need to be everyone's friend. i'm comfortable with myself. if you don't like it, just get out

rk97

I always did 4 tie-down points when I was using a wheel-chock.

Not sure what bike you have, but if the bodywork won't get in the way, use soft-ties around the lower triple-clamp, and then compress the forks roughly half their travel by ratcheting the straps down. If the bodywork does rub the straps, find some place else... On my old bike, i could go around the clip-ons if I avoided the cables and wires, and it only rubbed the bodywork slightly. Mine was a rattle-can pain job, so I didn't much care that it rubbed a little.

I also always wrapped straps around the rear tire. That only held the bike from moving side-to-side (not front to back), but it was nice peace of mind for me. Keeps the rear wheel from dancing around over bumps as well, and the suspension doesn't need to be compressed.

blueninja1

thx guys, and thank you darrin, i guess you are a nice guy.

i won't have any bodywork on the bike because it got shredded in the lowside and ensuing tumble. The right grip seems unstable moving back and forth (it has some play in it). I guess my safest bet is using 2 straps on the triple and then a couple around the back tire?

rk97

get the clip-on tightened up and fixed before riding, but without bodywork, things are actually a lot easier. Just remember, the front straps are pulling the bike forward, and a little downward.

the back straps only need to hold the bike from flopping side-to-side. I'll have to see if I have old pics of my bike loaded in my truck bed that might help you out...

Gorecki

FWIW, every 'motorcycle' trailer I've rented from uhaul had a front tire chock, two front tiedowns and two rear tiedowns (less the last one having one missing so I had to improvise :rolleyes:).

Generally these things range from pretty darn good to pretty darn worn out and not a whole lot of them exist in my area. So if you're gonna get one, schedule early.

rk97

^ the hard cup mod to the canyon dancer was a huge improvement. without bodywork though, I think he'll be okay without that and just going around the lower triple, no?

Blue, "soft ties" are like $2 a pair. I bought a set at walmart. I'd give you mine if it wouldn't cost almost as much to ship them as it would cost you to pick up a set...

it just wraps the fork without needing the hooks to be rubbing the bike.
SoftTie.jpg

Gorecki

blueninja1;197470 wrote: i was thinkin about getting this.

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratchet-Straps-Tie-Downs/Motorcycle-Tie-Down-Systems/Motorcycle-Ratchet-Strap-Kit-4-Pack

they ship out fast and i can get it in 3 days.

it looks like good quality and seems like the 4 ratchet straps and soft loops are a good combo
any thoughts?
Seems okay but frankly way over priced for what it is. You can get as good or better for less.

My most recent set are from home depot for $17
5195a45d-7a03-427a-986f-0341723a8ea5_300.jpg

I've had $10 sets work just fine. Just got new ones because the ratchet handles looked easier to use.

blueninja1

that looks like a nice set bro. what are the most reputable brands? the last thing i want is to get somethin made in china. i'll stop by my home depot and see if they have any. are yours motorcycle specific or just general use?

Gorecki

blueninja1;197475 wrote: that looks like a nice set bro. what are the most reputable brands? the last thing i want is to get somethin made in china. i'll stop by my home depot and see if they have any. are yours motorcycle specific or just general use?
Most are general use, motorcycle specific basically means charging a lot more for the same damn thing. ;)

Examples :
what I got 16' long, 1.25" wide
you found 6' long, 1" wide

Otherwise, same basic ratcheting mechanism and also are likely ALL made in china. ;)

Like I said, what got my attention was the ratchet handles as they can sometimes be a wee bit rough on the hands.

And the canyon dancer or like is almost required, but if rk97 is having okay with luck with the straps, go for it.

Rmcaninch600

Control Rider
Gorecki;197472 wrote: Seems okay but frankly way over priced for what it is. You can get as good or better for less.

My most recent set are from home depot for $17

I've had $10 sets work just fine. Just got new ones because the ratchet handles looked easier to use.
I would disagree on the price being high as the they have the 4 soft ties also, but honestly if you dont have plastics on you have nothing to worry about. I dont use rachet straps on me front instead i use the pull tight ones. Just wrap them around your triple grab the straps while sitting on the bike, and lean the bike back and forth while pulling on the straps and it will sinch right down. Quick, easy and you can do it without help. I do use rachet straps on the rear just to keep it from sliding around. One thing you need to watch with ethier the racheting or pull tight straps is not to over tighten the front. Get it so the bike feels stable but dont do to far as it is hard on the fork seals.

Gorecki

Rmcaninch600;197507 wrote: I would disagree on the price being high as the they have the 4 soft ties also
Umm not to be argumentative but those straps are $2 a pair? So 17+4 = $21 vs $31 + ship, still seems a bit high to me?

Any case, what ever works. ;)