Undamaged helmet requirement

01wj

I know part of Nesba's tech requirement is an "Undamaged helmet". Last summer I bought a brand new Shoei rf1100 and proceeded to crash in it at the ccs races right after I got it. the helmet didn't really hit but it kind of dragged so it got a bit of rash on it. I was going to send it in to Shoei to have them inspect it. I've been thinking about making the track down to Barber this year and was wondering, will I pass tech if the helmet has some "rash" on it but I have a letter from Shoei certifying it is ok still? I hate to toss a helmet that is perfectly fine, but at the same time don't want to make the drive and find out I can't pass tech without going and buying a new helmet.

Thanks

I had a helmet that I crashed in similar to how you described. I had rash the size of a silver dollar on the chinbar, but there was no "impact", it just touched down. I filled and sanded the rash so it was flat and smooth and put a decal over it. I rode with it for another year and a half.

I knew the helmet was good, and like you, had just spent $500 on it and wasn't going to toss it. If it makes you feel better, send it to Shoei then decal it so you don't have to deal with questions at tech.

I wouldn't condone doing this if the helmet took an impact, and if Shoei says its bad, put it on a shelf.

LOrtega

Control Rider
As the Riders manual states, Helmet Undamaged...
Undamaged is pretty clear no physical or cosmetic damage, rash means impact and or dragging.

I have unfortunately turned many people away at TECH because of rash on their helmets.
SHOEI will do a crash inspection on the helmet but if that helmet shows up damaged for tech inspection letter or not from SHOEI, I personally would not pass it. I believe almost every CR would not pass it, Or at least I would hope so.

I have caught members hiding damage with decals or DYI bondo and paint jobs.
Your helmet is the single most important piece of saftey equipment, save the time and effort in trying to get around the rule and just get another lid.

If you want to continue using that helmet, use it on the street if you really want to, that is a personal choice, as far as on the track I am sure NESBA Staff will not pass it.

Without a doubt, go buy a new helmet. I crashed in 2010 and impacted head first. Took about two years to recover from the brain injury, and still I will never be the same. I would never risk wearing a helmet which had any possibility of compromise. And coincidentally, I was wearing a brand new Arai RX-7 when I crashed and for sure it was hard to throw it away knowing it essentially got worn only one time.

GriffinD

Snagged from another site:

"Motorcycle helmets are only good for one drop. It doesn't matter if you can see the damage or not, a SNELL certified helmet is only certified for one drop. The damage you don't see may cause your helmet to shatter like an eggshell when you really need it."

I'd buy a new helmet or bring a back up, just in case.

01wj

Well I guess I'll get a new helmet then. Using it on the street is kind of a moot point since I don't ride on the streets anymore. Probably be wishing I had bought a new one if I crash again and something happens anyway.

some guy #2

Is the scuff through the fiberglass paint? Can you see the foam underneath it? Race orgs will pass helmets with surface scratches but not if it's very deep. My helmet has some scratches from falling into a gravel trap but they are extremely minor.

Slow Steve

I hate pushups.
Control Rider
It sucks to buy a new helmet, but is much cheaper then a new head. I have a brand new Haga Aria on a shelf with a silver dollar size spot that I won't wear. Man it looks good on the shelf. Fwiw, you get what you pay for in a helmet, doing go cheap.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
If it's not too much trouble can you post some pics please? trying to get a visual. Thanks

dbarufaldi

Nothing says you have to replace it within $800 helmet. I am a very careful,shopper and always buy helmets on clearance. With the exception of one helmet, I have not spent more than $150 on a helmet in years. Bought a nice HJC/Joe Rocket on super blowout last year, for $29. Retail was $269. Snell, DOT, etc. Don't want to start a helmet war, but I would taken brand new, Snell/Dot HJC over a crashed ShoeiAraiSuomySchuberth, any day.

Fritz

I sent my somewhat lightly crashed helmet to Bell for inspection. As light as the damage appeared they declared the helmet unsafe. They actually send the helmet back with a certificate in my name as "Saved by the Bell".

RADAR Magnet

STG was blowing out several Bell Stars around Christmas for about half price; not sure what's left but you may be able to get a great lid at a nice discount.

sheepofblue

I have 4 Arai Corsairs that I won't wear (age and one scuffed like you say). Is that a ton of money? Yep but I have seen helmets used and already got a new Shoei and am planning on picking up a new Arai also this spring. Sucks but put it on the shelf where it belongs or donate it to a local fire department for a practice helmet (might help 2 people that way)

ScottG

sheepofblue;264146 wrote: donate it to a local fire department for a practice helmet (might help 2 people that way)
I never thought of that... now I know what to do with my old helmets.