Uneven tire wear

Spyda

What's up with this tire wear? This tire has two track days on it and just about 300 street miles, 50 of which were ridden immediately before I took these pics. The wear looked like this before I rode it on the street.

I'm assuming that it's suspension related, but I'm not sure what to do - other than asking people with more experience than me which is what I'm doing right now! :dunno: I'm running them cold 30 Front / 29 Rear. The pic is from the left side of the tire and the wear is the same on the right.

These are DCIII's. Is that part where the uneven tire wear starts where the second/softer compound starts? Is this normal?

IMG_2069.jpg

physicistkev

Control Rider
That could also be where you like to get on the gas as you exit a corner. Just might be the lean angle your comfotable with spinning the tire a bit.

ToddG

Control Rider
Director
That looks like compression tearing, try taking a little compression out of your rear shock. Also what tire pressure you been running?

Folly1

Google "onthethrottle" In their seminars they have info on this point. They also sell 2 suspension DVD's that will tell you more about tire wear than I can remember.

Ben.

Spyda

ToddG;4100 wrote: That looks like compression tearing, try taking a little compression out of your rear shock. Also what tire pressure you been running?
29 cold in the rear

twin ty

Spyda, is this a 600 or a 1000? Do you have a baseline suspension setup? If you are using your bike for double duty I would suggest you adjust your tire pressures after your track day.

Ty

Spyda

It's a GSXR 750. I brought the bike in to see Viffer at Max Speed Cycles in Kernersville in February of this year to establish the baseline. The bike feels fine on the track, but it may need some tweaks that I don't have the experience to recognize. I was under the impression that the tires were trying to tell me something.

JVance

The line closest to the center of the tire where the tires starts to look normal again is where the two compounds meet. That nice clear band of tire between the edge and what you have marked as uneven wear is evidence that you are standing the bike up then hammering the throttle. There may be a suspension problem but you need to be a little smoother with the throttle before you go adjusting things. Get on the gas earlier and smoother. Open the throttle at the apex, or earlier, and roll it on as you stand the bike up.

Spyda

JVance;4159 wrote: The line closest to the center of the tire where the tires starts to look normal again is where the two compounds meet. That nice clear band of tire between the edge and what you have marked as uneven wear is evidence that you are standing the bike up then hammering the throttle. There may be a suspension problem but you need to be a little smoother with the throttle before you go adjusting things. Get on the gas earlier and smoother. Open the throttle at the apex, or earlier, and roll it on as you stand the bike up.
That could be it, but I wasn't seeing this type of wear (this pronounced) on the last few sets of tires. Granted, I've only been through one rear this year and while I could distinguish the compound bands from each other, the tire wasn't flaking like this one is. If it was from hammering the gas, I would have expected that wear to be more pronounced on the right side of the tire, since I've ridden at VIR exclusively on this tire and probably not as smooth as I should be out of turn 1 and the oak tree. :D I'm definitely on the gas as soon as I tip the bike in, but maybe just not enough. I guess I'm afraid of losing the rear and dispatching the crash truck. :rolleyes:

physicistkev

Control Rider
Just remember be smooth. The bike will tell you when you have used to much. The smoother you are the more likely that the bike will let you know in a way that will allow you to recover, without dispatching the crash truck.