v-twin or inline motor????

jixerking

sup guys what are the pros and cons of v-twin vs. inline motor??? which is better, which is more fun, which one is better for skill development? and finally, which one is more durable??

Matt H

They're just "different". I've been back and forth on the I4 and V-twin this year. They each have their strengths and weaknesses, and can play to your riding style differently. The twins come off the corners and "squirt" between short sections stronger. The I4's have a stronger top end. To me, the I4's feel like you are riding them harder (keeping them way up in the revs, and the super silly fast top end). The twins you seem to do more shifting as you run out of revs quickly.

We could have a long discussion on all the little differences, but in the end I just think they need to be ridden a bit differently. And so it depends on what you like. As for durability though, the 848 I was riding has had it's share of repairing needed.

jixerking

thanks matt u made an awsome point.....i dont like being too busy inthe gearbox, something i need to think about.

Rick Johnson

Take a look around the paddock the next time you are at the track and see how many prefer the I4 to the V twins.They are under powered for their size that's why the bigger cc V twins are permitted to race the smaller inline fours.

Clarus

Although I don't have a large repertoire of motorcycle experience, my time on a Kawazaki ZX600R and Honda F4i weren't nearly as fun, skill building, or easy to operate as my SV. [now one for the track and street]

All that being said, most fun was definitely my old Aprilia 250 cup. But certainly doesn't fall into the reliable section.

hank

Matt H;20456 wrote: The twins you seem to do more shifting as you run out of revs quickly.
This is backwards, the twins have a much wider torque spread whereas the I4's have a narrow range given the need to have the RPM's very high. An I4 600 will keep you shifting up & down like a madman all day long!

Matt H

hank;20585 wrote: This is backwards, the twins have a much wider torque spread whereas the I4's have a narrow range given the need to have the RPM's very high. An I4 600 will keep you shifting up & down like a madman all day long!
Maybe I could have been more specific. I did more shifting on the 848 (maybe I would have done less on a 1000cc twin) as I ran out of revs quickly. The 750's and 1000's did less shifting than the twin. The R6's I rode were about the identical in the amount of shifting (the I4 600 I shifted to keep the rev's up; the twin I shifted because I ran out of revs).

rk97

In my limited experience, I find the heavier engine braking from a twin much more difficult to manage during hard braking/down-shifting.

a slipper clutch solves all, but it's not in all of our budgets :)

durability is a good question. an I4 is perfectly balanced, but a twin doesn't rotate as quickly.

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
just wait for the 09 R1 and they claim you'll have the best of both worlds

rugbymook

Control Rider
Race Director
Matt H;20626 wrote: Maybe I could have been more specific. I did more shifting on the 848 (maybe I would have done less on a 1000cc twin) as I ran out of revs quickly. The 750's and 1000's did less shifting than the twin. The R6's I rode were about the identical in the amount of shifting (the I4 600 I shifted to keep the rev's up; the twin I shifted because I ran out of revs).
Matt,
You really don't ride a twin like you would an I-4. The bike won't "run out of revs" any faster, it just feels that way if you're used to revving out to 15k. If you were banging the rev limiter in 6th on the straight, the bike wasn't geared properly. Most people don't realize you can get a decent pull in the lower rpm's with a twin that you'd never be able to with the I-4 by using the fatter torque curve. I could probably short shift or run a gear higher in certain turns on a twin that i would need to shift to pull the same times on an I-4.

The 848 is a bit more rev happy than most twins. I have yet to ride one, but was to told that from Arnie Hastings and Dennys Passeto, who both race 848's after running big Ducati's prior.

Matt H

rugbymook;20698 wrote: Matt,
You really don't ride a twin like you would an I-4. The bike won't "run out of revs" any faster, it just feels that way if you're used to revving out to 15k. If you were banging the rev limiter in 6th on the straight, the bike wasn't geared properly. Most people don't realize you can get a decent pull in the lower rpm's with a twin that you'd never be able to with the I-4 by using the fatter torque curve. I could probably short shift or run a gear higher in certain turns on a twin that i would need to shift to pull the same times on an I-4.

The 848 is a bit more rev happy than most twins. I have yet to ride one, but was to told that from Arnie Hastings and Dennys Passeto, who both race 848's after running big Ducati's prior.
No doubt - I could definitely run the revs much lower and get GREAT pull. I rode the 848 for a number of complete days in total. I also came from a triple originally - I understand how to ride them differently. But the 848 would need to shift as often as a 600, which is more than a 750 or 1000 (the 750 and 1000 can pull from lower than a 600, but still have a lot of revs). The 600 v 848 probably uses the same spread of revs, just in different parts or the rev range (that's a guess). But for example, here's a breakdown. Trackdays. Summit Main. 1:19.

848: turn 1 - 2nd gear; upshift twice to 4th heading to turn 3, and then downshift once to 3rd for turn 3. Upshift once to 4th heading to turn 4; downshift twice to 2nd for turn 5; upshift once to 3rd in between turn 6 and 7; upshift once to fourth heading to turn 10, downshift once to 3rd for turn 10; up to 6th on front straight (just hitting the rev limiter approaching the braking zone - so maybe geared a bit short?) and back to 2nd for turn 1.

750: turn 1 - 3rd gear; upshift to 4th heading to turn 3; downshift to 3rd for turn 5; upshift once to 4th in turn 6; use 4th all the way thru turn 10; up to 6th (using most of it) on front straight and back to 3rd for turn 1.

The 750 eliminates a gear altogether, and is less busy. I found similar results when borrowing the 848 (rode the bike all day for a number of days in total) at Jefferson (needed an extra shift in most places), and also similar results when borrowing an R6 for a day at Thunderbolt (needed an extra shift to stay in the power).

rugbymook

Control Rider
Race Director
Matt H;20739 wrote: I would guess that. Now if Ryan will just let me ride that "R"...... :D
The guy that let me do some laps on his Desmosedici ordered three 1098r's. I hope to get a few laps on one before hte season is over. I rode the regular 1098 and was impressed.

miller

Control Rider
You are going to get am many opinions as there are people. If you can, try and both, then decide. I personally cannot go fast on a V-twin. I have a difficult time finding a good rhythem, BUT I have grown up on inline 4's. As was said earlier, they both do the same thing, just differently.

RyanITV

Admin
I :heart: twins. The 848 is much more fun than the R, though... much easier to ride hard. The R just wants to wheelie everywhere.

Ryan

LOrtega

Control Rider
The only way to know whats best for you is to ride both for yourself.
For an everyday track bike i will tell you the total cost of maint. is going to be a lot less on a late model 4 than most Twins.

I ride a I-4 on the track and a Duc 1098S as my street bike.

Because of my riding style more than the bike i chose the I-4 over the twin for the track.
The twin and my riding style made the wheelie happy nature of the twin too much to handle.

Whereas the I-4 and my riding style clicked very quickly and made for a more enjoyable time.

I am sure if I was willing to change my technique a little the 1098 would be a ton of fun, but who has time for that.

Andymax

OK, my $.02...

I currently own a 1000cc v-twin (honda superhawk), a 2000 R6, and a 2005 GSXR600. I have ridden all on both track and street. For track I would DEFINITELY pick an I-4. For street, DEFINITELY the v-twin.

In your original post you did not clarify which you intended to do...but there you have it anyway, my opinion. As far as real Pro v Con...The jap bikes tend to be pretty reliable either way. The Italians, while freakin fun, are a lot of maintenance, etc, and not typically not cheap. If you intend to track ride, then I personally strongly recommend a common I-4, due mainly to availability of parts, etc. You are more likely to find others at the track that are running an R6, Gixxer, CBR or ZX in the event you need a lever, or rearset, etc. (SV's are also pretty common)

Hope this helps you with your decision...