Valve adjustment

withoutequal

I'm approaching the service interval for a valve adjustment on my 2011 gsxr 600. I would say about 60-70% of the miles are track miles at this point. Its right around 14k. I have read that track will wear the shims quicker, hence needing an adjustment sooner than the manual suggests. I don't have any issues, but i'm not sure i would hear of feel anything. So go for it now? Wait for symptoms? recommended mileage between adjustment given its a track bike? Thank you for your advice.

some guy #2

Check the clearance before. I bet they either well within spec or getting close to tight but still acceptable. I have 15k on my track 1000 which are not all track and it's getting tight but still acceptable.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I'd do it now, if you're getting it serviced anyway. I did mine way sooner than the recommended interval, because it's track-only. All were within spec. I probably could have waited for the recommended interval, but when I had the plugs changed at 8k, I figured it was apart anyway...

StringBean27

Some guy 2 is probably right with what he wrote. I've seen motors (Honda motors) with almost 40k and still be in spec, though right at the limit. But it never hurts, especially being a track bike, to check them early. If you don't do it yourself, ask for your old shims back so you know they replaced them.

withoutequal

Cool, thanks for the advice guys and gals. I had them checked, and they are infact within spec. on the intake side they are well within, but on the exhaust side, they are at .20 with the spec being .18 - .28 so I had him button it back up, and ill check back later. My mechanic said on a track only bike, being on the tighter side of the spec is better for a track bikes power. With the valve being open longer, since it is tighter. Although that does make sense, any thoughts on that?

Motofun352

Control Rider
Your mechanic is right...BUT...unless you can actually use the extra little power, I've always tried to set the valve clearances loose in the range. This is just an engine safety issue as doing valve clearances is a major PIA. I'd rather know I was OK and just go run the sucker than worry if I might damage the engine....

bigkaley

Control Rider
Some shops perform a "go or no-go" valve clearance check. Meaning they use the thinnest feeler gauge of the range to see if the valves are within the tolerance. Example would be that on the '08-10 GSXR 600, the intake valve clearance is .08-.18mm, so shops use the .08 shim to see if they are within the minimum spec.
I prefer to measure and record the actual tolerance and record that so that at the next clearance check they can be compared to see which valves are "moving" or tightening up.

withoutequal

He gave me a sheet with actual clearances. Any reason why the exhaust side seems to tighten up quicker than the intake side? Im assuming the heat/expansion has something to do with it. He also did my buddies bike, which is the same as mine, and had the same thing happen. Is this a gixxer thing? Good thing is they are wearing evenly. Do you guys/gals have a spec you set and know at that clearance, i will be tight in XX amount of miles?

Attached files