VIR "Grand course"

i-Zapp

has anyone every done this combined, "full" version of the track?
Supposed to be 4.1 mile long. Wonder if it might be just TOO much and if the layout would compromise/eliminate any of the signature turns that are part of north or south? (never been to VIR)
GrandCourseMap2014.jpg
ing if it'd

willhf1011

I think it looks like a blast and have always wanted to try it. The only part that I'd be bummed about is losing the full back straight to that 180 (T13 marked here) where you drop down onto the patriot course. That said the T15-T16 combo and T17a-d are pretty cool additions that Patriot brings to the table.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
If you've never been to VIR, Grand course would make your freaking head explode. Hell, I've ran North, South, and Patriot more times than I can remember, and I think even my head would explode trying to remember all the lines and turn in points!

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Never ridden the Grand but Full is awesome!!!!

The problem with Grand is you might get 6 laps in 20 minutes if you're fast as hell. If there's a red flag it may take up to 5 minutes to get the track cleared and the staff to the scene. So any chance of resuming the session is pretty much over as soon as the crimson is waving. Also that's a long time for someone that needs EMTs.

prplppleatr239

The other problems that I see with the Grand course are that it would need at least twice as many corner workers as North or South on its own, since you're essentially running both courses. Couple that with double the track fees, and you're looking at $350-400 per day in cost. You'd also probably want to do an ambulance at the North pit and one at the South, to make sure you can get to somebody that needs it quickly.

On top of that, you'd need to find a day that the entire track is empty, which means probably a Tuesday - Thursday date, which is gonna be a hard sell.

It would be fun to do, although unlikely and expensive.

I did it a few years back.....had a GREAT time. Lots of alone time on the track, if that's what you need. You only get a few laps in......but it feels like you're riding forever. The only bummer, for me, was giving up north T7 , but you get pretty much everything else.

I'm already signed up......hope they don't cancel like they've had to the last few years. It's been said, "if it doesn't happen this year", due to low interest, "I'm done, I won't try to make it happen again". So, if you're thinking about it, it may be in your interest to go for it.

03bueller

Control Rider
I would personally rather run the the Grand East course, it uses the 2 links on the other side of the track so you get to do north's turn 7 still, but either config would be fun :)

i-Zapp

all loaded up and heading out tomorrow for Monday's event. It was 265$ thru cornerspeed. Weather looks fantastic - lets hope that for a safe day!

i-Zapp

it was a great time - perfect weather, few red flags, no ambulance rides. def need to go back!
(oh yah... and no need to get waived by in I group LOL! ;))

Nice footage......awesome day. I believe the chilly morning temps caught a few people out, took the 'A' group a few rounds to settle down, and maybe fatigue/brain lapse set in after lunch with some others. All in all, a good time. I'm glad to hear he'll bring it back again after a strong show of support, I had a blast !!