VIR July

jas0336

Looks like VIR is all we've got next month in the south. So what are your opinions...

VIR South-VIR South?
OR
VIR North-VIR Patriot?

I've never been to VIR so I'm looking forward to it but North looks the best and Patriot looks...well tiny. Can I get some impressions from those in the know?
Also, who's in...and what days?

thanks!

LUCKEDUCK

I went to the south for the the first time. In mayand its a blast!! It has some good elevation changes along with a pretty fast straight.. U wouldn't be dissapointed!!

Goldie

Ride VIR's Full course on 7/16/2010. It's a blast to ride!!! I like it more than the North course! Also, NESBA has some Summit days as well.

treker8098

I would love to ride the full circuit but decided the south circuit would be better for my money if had to choose between the two. If there were a red flag situation, it might some time to clear the track as it is over 3 miles long. I might be wrong. Besides, my 600 may not keep up on those long straights.

Blinky

South is a nice small track but after going to other tracks I almost lost interest in the south course. I might go again in the future but I would rather go to full or north course.
I wonder if NESBA will ever get the Grand Course...

joeyb

Full is awesome, North is sweet, south is pretty cool, I haven't done patriot, a friend of mine did while I watched. Wish I would have done patriot, tracktime is tracktime, but the pits suck, they are grass and no power if you are camping, but who cares, you are still at the track right!!!??? ;o)

jas0336

so I really need to do at least 2 days to make it worth the ride from Atlanta. 7/3 & 4 are South/South
Or I can do 7/16 & 17 for Full/Patriot
Or I can wait (skip June and July :( riding) and just do South, South, North in August. I'm starting to lean towards Full/Patriot so I can just do Barber in August.

meanstrk

Control Rider
I am running Patriot on the 17th. Thought about running Full, but I sold my Kawi and am running the SV 650 instead, and just don't feel like flogging it wide open on Full.

Juggler

Doing 7/16 VIR Full. It will be my first time in the I group, so I'll most likely be one of those pesky backmarkers...

Blinky

I would recommend full and patriot. Just my 2cents. Two souths in a row might get a tad boring, it's only a little over a mile long.

JRA

Josh, the South Course at VIR is probably the best track we go to if the goal is to work on your riding. It has it all...

A high speed front straight followed by a second gear turn with an escape road if you go too deep (great for practicing maximum braking with plenty of margin for error).

On camber and off camber turns.

A nice left/right/left downhill corkscrew where the entrance is key and forces you to learn to transition quickly.

A high speed kink followed by a quick drop downhill (great for learning front end feel and lots of fun to power wheelie through if you just want to have fun)

And the Oak Tree turn where you can practice at least two important skills...
Using the brake to help steer the bike, and learning how to get a good drive out of a tricky turn.

I probably owe a good bit of what I know about riding to doing a ton of laps on the South Course.

From a strictly fun standpoint the North Course is great but it's also very technical and takes a long while to learn. Lots of fun but much harder to go fast on.

I like full as well but it's my least favorite configuration. It just seems to leave out the best parts of South and North.

Patriot is a blast but it's a lot of work. No time to rest at all. Matt Heidel and I are going to find out who has the faster SV that weekend and I'm really looking forward to riding there again. :D

jas0336

Thanks John. That's exactly the info I was lookin for. I hate to take 2 months off but maybe I'll hold out till August and get a tow from you ;)
thanks again

JRA

jas0336;133860 wrote: Thanks John. That's exactly the info I was lookin for. I hate to take 2 months off but maybe I'll hold out till August and get a tow from you ;)
thanks again
July 3 & 4 is only two and a half weeks away.:D

jas0336

JRA;133863 wrote: July 3 & 4 is only two and a half weeks away.:D
True. I'd have to find someone to share a room with though. May be short notice. I know a group that's maybe sharing a garage and suite in Aug. Although doin both weekends would be nice. I'll definitely try to make one of them.
Either way it's been a while since I followed you around...I'll be lookin for ya