VIR SED What did you learn?

geckert

johnyisthedevil;127533 wrote:

and it is possible to slow down from 140 in the wet grass. . . . without crashing. . . I swear it can be done.
Im sure you can if you had enough room but that tirewall looked scary and I wasnt in the mood to be on the bike when it hit.:dunno:

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Cliff#11;127386 wrote: 1. A lack of concentration
2. Making abrupt decisions on the motorcycle
3. Rushing an entrance to a corner
4. And repeating these mistakes

#3 Got me in 5a-6 late in the day Friday...

Just like He said about fixing your mistake the next lap...or your gonna be in trouble.

Seeing their brake lights through the turns all the way to the apex.... Just enough to get the bike pointed.
+1 Cliff covered it all...:cool:

emry

I learned that I should have been there.

But keep the other tips rolling, I am like a sponge. At this point.

Dunham

emry;127783 wrote: I learned that I should have been there.

But keep the other tips rolling, I am like a sponge. At this point.
:agree:

bike428;127770 wrote:
I'll bring them to road A. :D
:cheers:

JRA

webpic.jpg

I really like this picture from Friday. I don't know who the riders are but they are both showing good form. The lead rider is leaned in, showing good body position, and looking through the turn, the following rider is setting up for the turn early and looking to the apex. Both riders have their toes up and back....Good stuff guys!

johnyisthedevil

"because this insn't 1970 anymore and tire technology allows us to do so. . . . this is 2010 people."

1) to control speed, radius and lean angle.
2) to control suspension geometry
3) to manage risk.
4) to set up for the exit
5) because Rossi does it
6) to get you to the apex safely
7) to continue reducing speed until you feel safe.
8)because Nick and Ken's brake lights are on much longer than you think you could possibly use brakes in a corner.

I'm sure I missed a few, but these are some of the many reasons they said.

dpullen

Nice, Johny! You were definitely paying attention.

What did Nick do in pit lane to show the effects of "stabbing the brakes", and what happened?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
dpullen;127915 wrote: What did Nick do in pit lane to show the effects of "stabbing the brakes", and what happened?
Just walking next to his bike, Nick was able to stab the brakes and make the rear tire come up off the ground. A good demo to show that if you stab the brakes, you're gonna endo. Or "crash your brains out" as Nick kept saying.

He also did a throttle demo at that time, also standing next to the bike. He slowly brought it from 0 rpm to ~14k rpm and you couldn't see his hand move. The lesson? Have slow hands and keep all things smooth.

dpullen

Yes - although not necessarily slow.

You can apply the brakes quickly and roll on the throttle quickly, so long as you do it smoothly. Abrupt input ("whack the throttle open", "stab the brakes", "flick it in") leads to trouble. Smooth input leads to victory.

jtsgsxr6

JRA;127830 wrote:
webpic.jpg

I really like this picture from Friday. I don't know who the riders are but they are both showing good form. The lead rider is leaned in, showing good body position, and looking through the turn, the following rider is setting up for the turn early and looking to the apex. Both riders have their toes up and back....Good stuff guys!
Hey that's ME! the one changing directions!

slower than u

What I learned - I suck ! lol

But really , wow , how cool was this SED ? I leanred I have alot or things to fix -
1 - My body position sucks -
2 -Gotta be smoother
3 - Make a plan

Thanks for you guys in getting Nick out here - had alot of fun, learned alot and had a killer day ! Cant wait till next year or to hit the lottery so I can go to Miller and get tow days of help from those guys -

lshawngentry

my notes from the Beginner SED

I've already seen a good bit of this covered, but here's what I've got - I hope it helps someone. I can't wait to go to my next SED!!!

Pre Ride
> Have a Plan. Before each session, think about a plan and decide one thing I’m going to work on.

Body Position
> Butt in the middle of the seat – NEVER
> Feet 2” off the ends of the pegs, on the balls of your feet, toes up, no flat feet
> keep your weight on your feet
>Set up for the turn early / Move Butt Over, Get Knee out and Sit UP First *this is a visual brake marker
> Then, get on the brakes
> Eyes UP, Look through the Turn, Look for and think about What’s Next?
> Anchor yourself to the bike with your outside knee hooked into the tank
> Outside Arm on the edge of the tank at Exit
> Drop head slightly at the end of the turn as the bike gets upright and you are ON the throttle = ‘the Move’

Trail Braking
> The concept of ‘one thing at a time’ is outdated
> Keep Brake ON as you turn in / this loads the front end.
> the bike wants to turn at 100mm of compression use brakes to get it there, then turn in and Gforce to keep it there through the turn.
> Gradually and smoothly release brake pressure to reduce fork rebound.
> Pick Up the throttle smoothly as you release the brake
> Spot exit, and Reduce Lean angle as you Pick Up the throttle
> 100 points of Contact on the Tire. Lean Angle and Braking reduce contact.
> Slow into the corner so you can go FASTer out of the exit
> Bike placement BEFORE Speed

1up5down

Control Rider
I feel like I stole something!

What about "load" the tire before you "work" the tire.

Q: How do you "load" the tire?

A: You apply the brakes smoothly/consistently while the bike is straight up and down. Loading the tire increases the contact patch (puts heat in the tire). The more contact patch we have the more grip/control we have while cornering.

Q: When do we ride on the edge of the tire?

A: For direction change only!

Vision: We should always look down track or ahead of us, regardless of what is going on around or in front of us. Do not succumb to target fixation, utilize your peripheral vision.

Q: Your outside arm should be where when cornering? (this was our report card)

A: Your outside arm should be relaxed and resting on the gas tank

What is it that makes Ben Spies go so fast/learn the tracks so well. I mean there has to be some special trick or secrete to why he is so fast. Yeah, he pulls on the right handle bar 12 times, then puts on his brown right glove and left blue boot. All these things make him go so fast. NOPE, Ben said that he first finds/learns the "APEX" to every corner, then he maximizes the radius.

Ben also said that having his head down and out over the front of the bike (mirrors area) allows him to do what? He said this allows him to catch more slides. Hmmmmm!

Use the whole track, get wide on the corner entry to allow yourself more speed going in the corner and thus exiting the corner with even more speed. Going in "low" and not using all the track upon corner exit you give up approximately 4mph. This is "FREE SPEED".

Bad vocabulary = Slam, Hammer, Stab, Mash... on the brakes/throttle

Good vocabulary = smoothly, consistently, continually, gradually, increasingly... get on the brakes/throttle

Ultimately, I learned that I have to save up and attend the YCRS to continue to get excellent skill building knowledge and application based training. Although I feel like to stole something as the SED was the best bang for my buck I have ever spent on a track day!

Special thanks, to Nick, Ken, Shorty, Peanut, Barry and all the other great NESBA staff:congrats:

- Allen