VIR Thoughts

treker8098

Mar 17, 2010
I had a great time with NESBA this weekend and appreciate all who put the effort in to help make the event a safe and enjoyable one!

I over heard one control rider talking to another control rider stating there were too many bikes on the track at once (siting poor judgement of NEBA), he could not get a decent lap in all weekend, and people who bring slow bikes should go buy fast ones. These statements kind of bothered me as I drove home. To him and other like minded, there are organizations called the AMA, WERA, and CCS.

It seems appropriate to restate the purpose of NESBA,

"Our purpose is to get sportbikers on the track – where they can ride to their fullest potential without the limitations, distractions, and hazards of the street. We operate on the premise, "Ride Fast, Ride Safe". We believe riders can and should do both … in a structured environment, free from the free-for-all mentality of the street or the dogfight mentality of racing."

I applaude the rest of the Control Riders and John Allen for a job well done!!! I look forward to the continued friendships and good times on the track!

Meat

Jul 14, 2008
It is sad that you think that CR's are some sort of perfect being without any personal feelings or thoughts of their own.

Everyone, at one time or another, gets frustrated with traffic. CR's are no different.

So now you want the CR's to make sure no one is around when talking between one another. They will have the same views about the other riders on track whether you are their to judge them or not.

When CR's are riding in Advanced group, they are fellow riders not CR's.

Give us a break and go spy on someone else.

matt2212

Aug 17, 2010
Those statements sound like statements the Cr's hear all the time.
Did you listen to the whole conversation? was there sarcasm in there voices or where you not able to tell? Those statements are said by every b group rider that thinks he should be in I ( at one time myself included.... SORRY) and then they learn something and it clicks and you realize its not the traffic or the slow bikes its your skill holding you up.

These Cr's listen to this day in and day out as they try to help others (For no compensation) and I don't blame them for talking about it or venting there frustrations

I have heard John & Jeff say that "they can be within a few seconds of there normal "A" pace in I group and stay within the rules of the group". After having the privilege of riding a whole session with John this weekend I believe this is true. He moved through traffic within the rules with ease, barely changing pace till he slowed to see how I navigated traffic, only to pass a few more with ease and slow for me to follow again...

I doubt a guy on a slow bike or traffic slows any of them down any more than they want to...

I think you are taking things you heard out of context....

dfaldridge

Jul 6, 2009
Treker, I would say in the future I would aproach the cr/s directly and or maybe ask to have a discussion with one of the directors also AT the track as John said in the rider meeting since it bothered you to the point of posting something about it on the forum. That way the cr/s could further explain what they ment by their statement. We dont always have perfect shining moments in our lives and especially when we are high on "track" its even harder to hold it together.

Just sayin!!!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Jul 10, 2009
VA
treker8098;243724 wrote: I had a great time with NESBA this weekend and appreciate all who put the effort in to help make the event a safe and enjoyable one!

I over heard one control rider talking to another control rider stating there were too many bikes on the track at once (siting poor judgement of NEBA), he could not get a decent lap in all weekend, and people who bring slow bikes should go buy fast ones. These statements kind of bothered me as I drove home. To him and other like minded, there are organizations called the AMA, WERA, and CCS.

"Our purpose is to get sportbikers on the track – where they can ride to their fullest potential without the limitations, distractions, and hazards of the street. We operate on the premise, "Ride Fast, Ride Safe". We believe riders can and should do both … in a structured environment, free from the free-for-all mentality of the street or the dogfight mentality of racing."

I applaude the rest of the Control Riders and John Allen for a job well done!!! I look forward to the continued friendships and good times on the track!

I think this is one of those things John Allen was talking about at the riders meeting.

Something about bringing your concerns up while still at the track, not after everyone has gone home later in the week...

:banghead:

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Oct 20, 2008
NJ
Please help me understand, you had the chance at the track to ask the CR for clarification or what exactly did he mean by that remark...instead you post on the forum??

Mr.DJ

Jul 9, 2008
treker8098;243724 wrote: I had a great time with NESBA this weekend and appreciate all who put the effort in to help make the event a safe and enjoyable one!

Hi Hugh,

I really appreciate you taking the time to post your thoughts. I see your post as pretty darn positive. You highlighted what we are here to provide, and it appears you had an enjoyable track day.

You seem to understand trackday and willing to step up and remind anyone (including staff) if forgotten. My only recommendation is that you give our staff the courtesy of addressing your concern like this at the track. I understand this didn't bother you until your drive home, but feel free to PM John or send an email. It would suck for a CR to give you feedback on your first session in a post on Monday morning ;)

Again, we take all this back with us. All directors and I review how the events progressed and compare to other days with the same numbers, weather, etc... and look for improvements; if there are any to be made. Many situations are out of our control, but if ever our numbers became a clear threat to members, we will change them immediately.

Feel free to grab John or myself for a chat at your next event!!!

Thanks
DJ

JRA

Jul 11, 2008
Hugh, we do want your input. At Road Atlanta I'd like to talk with about this because I'd like to better understand exactly how you perceived the conversation. It will be helpful to us because we do talk about these things and the fact people are often listening to what we say even if we don't know it. I feel pretty confident I know what the conversation you overheard was about, and I do think you didn't get the whole context.

Unless it's a very serious moment about 90% of what you hear should be taken with a huge grain of salt. We're no different than anybody else. We're there to ride and hang out, and we're BSing with each other just like other members do in the paddock. The main difference is we are also dealing with whatever problems we might be experiencing on a given day and we get frustrated just like anybody else.

Yesterday our guys were working really hard. Advanced group time is their "Me" time, and Advanced group had a whole lot of riders in it this weekend (as we knew it would, we don't get many weekend days on the North Course) and unimpeded laps were very few for the faster guys. Combine that with the frustration we were all feeling over the red flags and lots of things will get said back and forth that if you asked us seriously we tell you we don't really mean them. I'll be the first to admit that I say all kinds of stuff in private that I don't really mean.

For instance when I say that "the next person who crashes and causes a red flag is going to get my boot so far up their ass that they'll be able to lick my toes", I don't actually mean that, I'm just blowing off steam talking to the other CR's. We're like this because we care. If we didn't we wouldn't come out to begin with.

Edit: that's a joke BTW, attempt at humor, lighten the mood.:D

bmrboy

Jan 11, 2011
Well, these are my thoughts ... First, Thank You JRA ,and staff you always do your best to put on a great & safe weekend
the meet and great was superb, private air show was very coooool ..... you should be commened on trying to keep a safe
enviroment for all to enjoy... VIR is a great place , Thank you.. :first:

MY NEXT COMMENTS are directed to the few that thought they were above the rules , you did 3 major things that are
totally unacceptable in my opinion,1,you did not leave your ego at home ,2 you did not bring your commence sence with you ....
3, you put other people at risk , if you want to ride with no respect for others or yourself ....stay home ..... :doh

Our little pit-out a$$ chewing was totally justified, but next session, some felt that what they were doing was ok .. IT"S NOT...

I hope that my fellow :i: group riders that abide by the rules will understand i felt my comments were nessessary :D and hope ya"ll agree
Please don"t hold it against me , look forward to riding with you again on s. coarse :D

My legs are so sore I can hardly walk today, trying to improve my riding & body position , is hard work... It"s a good pain.
I love coming to the track, the atmosphere, the people are the BEST, and want to continue doing so, I"m not the fastest nor the slowest
not the best nor the worst. I"m just a guy that loves to ride ... enough said.

Ruhe52

Jul 13, 2008
www.ridepre.com
"the next person who crashes and causes a red flag is going to get my boot so far up their ass that they'll be able to lick my toes",
John I had a guy ask me if you were serious about that comment and when I explained that in no way would you ever do anything like that, he pulled his leather hood with mouth zipper off his head tossed his leather vest on the ground and stomped off in a huff. Just goes to show you you can't please all the people all the time. :D

This was the guy I didn't catch his name
pulp_fiction_gimp.jpg

jsnow74361

Feb 5, 2012

I got bump up to I that day and had no problems i ran in April and was running 137. lap times with no traffic that day in B class
enjoyed riding with I group other than the red flags and some dude in all blacks leathers think we was on a 1000 took a spill he we was riding kind of crazy came way to hot in one on the out side I had him but i let him go then in 2 he cut off dude on the end side wow next time around red flag we was down. thanks again controls riders see u on the south course

Irish01

Jul 11, 2008
Ruhe52;243884 wrote: John I had a guy ask me if you were serious about that comment and when I explained that in no way would you ever do anything like that, he pulled his leather hood with mouth zipper off his head tossed his leather vest on the ground and stomped off in a huff. Just goes to show you you can't please all the people all the time. :D

This was the guy I didn't catch his name
pulp_fiction_gimp.jpg
This why we love you! In Manly kinda love your ass kinda way of course, even with the leather mask in the post and all :D

RADAR Magnet

Sep 27, 2010
Every event will have something to nit about and CRs are human. They're also pretty fantastic. The couple that I was pitted next to were good enough to give me feedback on my riding, donate a few minutes of their electricity and lend a hand when I needed it - I'm going to pit next to you guys all the time!

JRA, I thought you and all the guys ran a great event and the Irish crew put on a super meet and greet; the weather was just about optimal; this was flat out a great weekend at a great track; can't wait for the next one!

junglelogic

Oct 11, 2008

That doesn't sound like a control rider. I wouldn't think one would say that.

Unfortunately, I was only there for Saturday so I'm not sure about Sunday, but Saturday wasn't bad at all. I have been on north course with probably twice as many people and it was still fun.

And another thing… It's not the bike that is fast or slow… It's the rider. I ride a beastly R1 and got passed by the kid they bumped up to A group (congrats, by the way) and he was on an SV 650. I don't know if I should even say that because it's like 100 less horsepower.

moto1320

Jan 6, 2012
matt2212;243753 wrote: Those statements are said by every b group rider that thinks he should be in I ( at one time myself included.... SORRY) and then they learn something and it clicks and you realize its not the traffic or the slow bikes its your skill holding you up.
:rolleyes: Yeah, impossible that 40 bikes on a track and a no passing rule could possibly slow anyone down. It's purely a skill deficit.

JBZ1k

Aug 21, 2011
It's not a no passing rule in B...If you are trying to improve your skills you can learn a ton about setting up passes by following the rules. I am in B and I think of myself as a ninja looking for my next victim around every corner when I'm riding. It makes for a hella good time and it makes me a better rider too.
1: FUN
2: SKILL IMPROVEMENT
isn't that what it's all about?

I was there Saturday and it was awesome. I even think I was going to get a bump to I but when I went to the classroom the CR wasn't there. Oh well, B group is awesome if you bring the right attitude to the track!

Also don't forget about a hot pit if you run up on a pack of 20.

moto1320

Jan 6, 2012
The comment I made was in response to comments like this. It comes off as presumptuous and arrogant to make this brand of blanket statement referring to something, that by your own admission, you weren't even there for. No one contested anything you said, I know what the rules are and I know why I'm there, and I have fun. No one ever talks in such a condescending manner at the track, the distance of the internet I guess. I just don't talk "down to" or "at" people...and I am referring to how much I see statements like this on this board in general. There seems to be a poor habit of attempting to affirm one's progress buy patronizing those learning. One mans opinion.