VIR upgrades

noobinacan

nm, I just read what you said, if that's true, will wait on final pics

VIRnewcurbingAVIR1DSC063351323288367.JPG

VIRnewcurbingB2DSC063391323288380.JPG

1098sirhc

betarace;225294 wrote: These look like slip forms for real curbs to be poured into (i.e,. Work in progress). Let's hope.
Please please please be the case. Those look like they could kill (riders and bikes)

meanstrk

Control Rider
Look like FIA spec curbing to me, which will suck for bikes. It's my opinion that VIR is trying to push bikes away. Code holds two 4 day sessions a year at the track and I have already forwarded this stuff to him. I am quite sure that he will not be happy to see this.

JRA

When the curbing is finished I bet you'll see the form on the outside removed and then it will be very similar to curbing at CMP, Road Atlanta, Road America, and many other tracks. Obviously this curb will not work for areas of the track where cars and bikes run both directions so I don't think you'll see it in the esses or in the middle section of the south course.

It seems like any time a track changes something people get all worked up about it over the winter (most recently think T12 at RA), when it's best to reserve judgement until you can see and/or test the finished product. Assuming that form is removed (and again I think it looks temporary) then this will be an improvement over the vertical edge trap that is left behind the existing curbing from cars dropping their wheels off in T6. VIR keeps back filling the curbing and the cars keep running over it and digging it back out. That edge has always been dangerous to motorcycles (and a big maintenance issue for the track) and I'm sure that this is their response to that. Obviously car guys aren't going to like it because it takes away their line, but I don't think it's a huge change for us (again assuming the form is removed) because in the past if you run that wide out of five you are crashing anyway. Now, assuming the issue of dirt being dug out from behind the curb is resolved, you will have a chance to recover if you run off.

Taylorr6

Back when I rode motocross we had a saying, " SHORT CUT" or "NEW TRAIL", depending on the situation. It still looks like VIR to me and I can't wait to see how it works. Besides I'm only on the curbing if there is a cone to kick.lol

FSOD

Gotta love VIR especially the South, but that looks like it would definately give an interesting ride if you over did it. I was told that they were putting them in as car people were cutting 5&6 and knocking out windshields with rocks.

meanstrk

Control Rider
Looks like the raised "backstop" has been removed from the curb on the exit from Oak Tree... At least it's not raised to the top of the ridges.

dbakerpa

I have lost my pucks a couple of times at VIR because of the deep ridges. The inside of turn one is a place to keep the knee up. It really looks like the new curbing is on the inside in areas that would not effect you unless you tires were on the old curbing. It looks like a new short cut through 6A LOL.

RADAR Magnet

I watched a replay of this year's Daytona super bike race last night and noticed that style of curbing in a couple of places. AMA officials must've figured it was safe enough; am guessing/hoping VIR is not going to keep that outer support in place once everything has settled into place.

B. Myers

thanks Meanstrk....that looks alot better. That curbing gone wont catch feet, arms, footpegs, frame sliders, etc if one should go sliding over it...resulting in additional tumbling..