vortex rearset question

nk140

I got a set of used Vortex rearsets and was wanting to replace the rashed footpegs. I am confused on why the footpegs will not come off. The rearsets are for a 03-06 600rr. the pegs go through the levers but are stuck inside the them. Here is a pic
VortexFootpeg.jpg

Is there a trick to get them out? Sorry if it is an easy question the only aftermarket rearsets that I am use to are Gilles.

nk140

No allen key bolt that I can see...the allen bolt was removed to get the lever and peg off the bracket

erick1670

I just went to check mine, and for sure after remooving the allen bolt you`ll need to hit in the hole where the bolt was to push out the peg

nk140

well I just tried the hammer technique. The bearings in the lever came out with the peg. :banghead:

erick1670

nk140;161561 wrote: well I just tried the hammer technique. The bearings in the lever came out with the peg. :banghead:
sorry,
I should have mention to hit it gently around it, but it looks like the lever is sligthly bent and thuss causing to get a bit tight :dunno:

hey at least the peg came out, since you geting new pegs order new bearings

dbakerpa

I had this problem after my last off. Take a pipe the peg will fit into and a socket or something so you can hit the two ears at the base of the peg evenly. Whack the piss out of it. it took me longer to get my peg out than it did to put the new one in and reassemble my rear set. Good luck.

nk140

erick1670;161564 wrote: sorry,
I should have mention to hit it gently around it, but it looks like the lever is sligthly bent and thuss causing to get a bit tight :dunno:

hey at least the peg came out, since you geting new pegs order new bearings
I tried to be easy with it and the thing wouldn't budge so I gradually increased the force. The brake side lever is slightly bent

I didn't know you could order just the bearings...definitely going to get them now

nk140

dbakerpa;161566 wrote: I had this problem after my last off. Take a pipe the peg will fit into and a socket or something so you can hit the two ears at the base of the peg evenly. Whack the piss out of it. it took me longer to get my peg out than it did to put the new one in and reassemble my rear set. Good luck.
well I just tried this on the shifter side and the same thing happened. :dunno: I think these so called cheap rearsets are going to be just as expensive as new ones.

dbakerpa

I had enough trouble that took a dremel tool to the notch in the middle and have not had a repeat of this issue. I took just a CH off. I was also REAL careful with the lock tight on the bolt.

BigBird

when i have had to replace the peg, i end up spending as much money as buying a whole side...vortex replacement parts are expensive and as you found out, you end breaking something else trying to get them fixed up. but i love the grip and thats why i go back to them.

nk140

vanbreezy;163371 wrote: why not call vortex racing. I think the bearing were like 7 bucks or something like that.
Already done....the bearings are $1.20 each and I had to get 4 of them. You are right the total ended up being about $7 shipped.

some guy #2

When I bent one of my pegs I had to bust it off to get it out and the bearings came with it. The second crash did not leave me in such a bind :)