Water only for coolant on track?

Joe Vital

gkotlin;119936 wrote: I...Straight water isn't good for corrosion resistance. Thus adding the water wetter to help restore the corrosion resistance.
Use distilled water only! Don't use tap water. It WILL corrode. I mix distilled water and water-wetter at the recommended ratio. WW is a surfactant as previously stated. I have seen some folks use liquid dish soap too...breaking the surface tension allows the water to have a larger contact area along the wall of the water passages in the engine. If the water does not follow all of micro-contours small steam pockets will develop. Steam does not transfer heat nearly as well as water.

The last time I had my '04 VFR on the track I saw temps as high as 250. It didn't miss a beat. I was using 50/50 coolant/water mix.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Joe Vital;119992 wrote: I have seen some folks use liquid dish soap too...breaking the surface tension allows the water to have a larger contact area along the wall of the water passages in the engine. .
I'm picturing bubbles popping out of your exhaust with the dish detergent...like a big bubble wand. LOL.

Hey fine:

I too run a VFR on the track (albeit an older model) and as you and Joe know, they do run hot.

To date I haven't had any issues running anti-freeze in B-group.

Just an FYI.

BZ

barry38

Bubba Zanetti;120789 wrote: Hey fine:

I too run a VFR on the track (albeit an older model) and as you and Joe know, they do run hot.

To date I haven't had any issues running anti-freeze in B-group.

Just an FYI.

BZ

That's because you haven't crashed and pucked it all over the track! :D

Joe Vital

HondaGalToo;120788 wrote: I'm picturing bubbles popping out of your exhaust with the dish detergent...like a big bubble wand. LOL.
My daughter would love this! Make some more bubbles , daddy!

hank

Here is the link to Water Wetter:
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10

IIRC, WW tends to lose efficacy over time and needs to be 'recharged'. You don't have to actually drain/replace all the distilled water & WW, just add some more WW every now and then... makes sense since it is merely an anti-surfactant and just like dish washing liquid, the stuff loses its mojo after a while.

Zippy

From what I know, Water Wetter is a non-biodegradable soap. Dish soap breaks down, but Water Wetter does not. If you have some dish soap from the 1960's, that would work because it was not biodegradable then. But any modern stuff is built to break down.

Water Wetter works by reducing the size of bubbles in the cooling system. Bubbles have air inside them, and keep the heat from getting transferred from the hot parts of the motor, and to the inner surface of the radiator. If you can reduce or eliminate those bubbles, you improve the ability of the water, or coolant, to transfer heat.