Water Wetter and Mid-West Weather

mpz

I have to switch to a non-ethyl glycol based anti-freeze/coolant this weekend and I'd like to do my part to ensure everyone's safety by running water wetter. Obviously, it does not offer freeze protection and there have been at least 4 trackdays that I've attended where temps dropped below freezing over night. I do not, and will not for a while, own an enclosed trailer so I'm wondering if there are any tricks hardcore track junkies do to ensure cooling agent does not freeze in their bikes. I don't want to sleep in a tent with the bike :p

I'm probably going to have to go with Engine Ice or something if I don't come up with a solution.

Thanks

justintime_3

If you are running in I or B you will not need to replace the coolant although recommended and appreciated. Just a heads up ! If you have any questions look at the riders manual on NESBA's home page.

NickMcCoy

Switch it back to antifreeze when you know it's going to be below freezing, the trackdays that are that cold are only going to be in the early spring and late fall so it's not like you have to change it constantly. I use Engine Ice usually but whether it's that or Water Wetter, I just switch to antifreeze in the fall and switch back over when it gets warm. It only takes a few minutes and I just re-use the coolant if it's fresh.

NickMcCoy

I don't know, it says it works to -26 and it can get pretty close to that here so I worry less with the antifreeze. I'm also not sure that Engine Ice lubricates and protects as well against corrosion.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I think the bigger question is what do A guys do, as they are required to have water + Water Wetter and Engine Ice isn't allowed? Sure, those of us in B or I can get away with antifreeze if it's cold, but what do the A guys do? That's what I'd want to do, as I don't want to run anything that would be illegal in A, for safety reasons. I wondered about that should I ever want to trailer down to Jennings when it's freezing out up here.

sobottka

after your last track day you winterize the bike. i'm in the midwest and unless you go south early in the season its not an issue. just because the temp drops below freezing for a couple hours at night doesnt mean you'll freeze, just be smart about it. if you go to florida in january, yeah you'll freeze on the drive home with water only but it's not gonna freeze when its 29 degrees for an hour at night.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Agreed. I winterize it and don't travel when it's cold. I guess if I ever did head to FL in January, I'd take it down empty, then fill it with water there, then empty for the ride home. Or stick antifreeze in for the ride home.

mpz

I agree it won't freeze if it drops to 29 for an hour or two. I do think it will if it drops to low 20s for most of the night. My very first trackday was snowed out and following day first session was in the mid 40s. I also remember waking up at Putnam with ice on my bike.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, they helped me make up my mind.

dlockhart5x

goto p22
http://www.nesba.com/Info/Downloads/manual.pdf

no engine ice

Those coolants are still slippery and a pain to clean up if you were to crash.

Distilled water is a less than a $1 a gallon a bottle of WW will treat many gallons.

If it is truly a freezing issue just drain it overnight and refill in the AM.

The riders who don't crash in your coolant spill will thank you.

mpz

Chalk me up under WW crowd :)

Fan only turned on once at Autobahn North on Sunday. It was cooler then normal but still it seems like water + WW does cool better then antifreeze.