Weather / Thunderstorms at VIR 8/22

vtjballeng

This is my first event back with NESBA in several years and I am trying to get a handle on the rain policy.

Right now the forecast for tomorrow is Thunderstorms all day long:
VIR 8/22/09 weather link

When the weather calls for T-storms all day long what can I do? I ride on rain days but typically T-Storm days are cancelled or at least the track is closed while their is thunder / lightning in the area.

The two situations I am considering are:
1) Cancel my hotel now so I can get a refund and work on the assumption that the even will be cancelled and I can get a credit / refund. I am also scheduled for Monday 8/24 and will have some other days in the future.

2) Go to the hotel, pack up in the wet/rain, go to the track as if it were a normal event and just try to get track time knowing that the T-storms may end a good portion of the track time.

Suggestions from those with experience?

jcrich

From The manual.

3. Rain Policy
If we do not roll a wheel on the track and the event is canceled due
to rain, you will receive a 100% credit to be used at another NESBA
event. Rain credit is only good for one calendar year from the time
of the cancellation. Credits can be used via your online profile.
If we get rained out after an event has started, there will be NO
credits or refunds issued. If you choose not to show up and we ride,
you will not receive any credit. If you choose not to show up and we
cancel the event, you will receive a 100% credit for another NESBA
event, to be used within one calendar year. Credits will be applied to
your account within two weeks of the event.
NESBA will ride on a wet track. However, there may be circumstances
when we feel it is not safe enough to ride and cancel the event. This
will be determined only on the day of the event.
NESBA reserves the right to adjust this policy at anytime without
notice.

vtjballeng

jcrich;78305 wrote: From The manual.
Thanks, I did look at the policy and understand the logistics.

I suppose I am looking for experience with thunderstorm / heavy rain conditions and what NESBA tends to do in these situations? Do they tend to ride out sessions so long as there is no lightning / thunder in the area? Do they shut it all down as soon as they see lightning? What tends to be the criteria for shutting a day down in the rain and in T-storms?

I've ridden with TPM in similar conditions and as soon as the thunder/lightning left the area they got right back on the track again.

What does NESBA tend to define as "circumstances when we feel it is not safe enough to ride and cancel the event" on a rainy / T-storm filled day?

Thanks!

alphamale

vtjballeng;78317 wrote:
I've ridden with TPM in similar conditions and as soon as the thunder/lightning left the area they got right back on the track again.
Nesba is going to provide a safe environment for people to enjoy the track. If it is not safe to ride a la standing water, lightning, 60 mph winds, I imagine they will keep you off the track. They probably won't "call" it right away though. So there will likely be some time to sit around and do nothing.

The question you have to ask yourself, is whether you want to ride in the rain. If the answer is yes, then go! Riding in the rain can be FUN!

Riding in the rain at Summit Main, is dreadful.

Fatboy

Keep in mind ..... we ride in the rain however,VIR WILL call it if there is thunder/lightning b/c the cornerworkers are standing in metal boxes. Once the lightning has stopped they will let us back out. Personally I would go since you've already planned on it

onepointone

Dont know if I will ride in the rain, but I have made arrangements to be there, so thats where I will be.

I just hope I don't come down, its canceled, and I have a day to kill while waiting for Sunday to come around.

vtjballeng

alphamale;78320 wrote: Nesba is going to provide a safe environment for people to enjoy the track. If it is not safe to ride a la standing water, lightning, 60 mph winds, I imagine they will keep you off the track. They probably won't "call" it right away though. So there will likely be some time to sit around and do nothing.

The question you have to ask yourself, is whether you want to ride in the rain. If the answer is yes, then go! Riding in the rain can be FUN!

Riding in the rain at Summit Main, is dreadful.
I don't mind riding in the rain, my first track day in the wet was actually at VIR South years ago with TPM and I was amazed at how much grip that track had (and presumably still has) in light rain. Drainage at that track seemed to be generally good as well.

I think I will head there and just hope I can get some time on the track.