Weird fork noise

Dave_636

So here's the deal. I stored my bike all winter in a garage that wasn't heated. Bike was stored on front and rear stands and covered with a bike cover. I took the bike out of storage and I've been working on it the past few days. Went to take it out for a test ride down the driveway and when I compress the forks it makes a strange noise like a metal on metal squeal.

Forks were last serviced on May 20 of last year and I did 6-8 track days afterwards. When I stored the bike I know that it wasn't making any noise. I took the front wheel off and when I rotate the lower fork legs they both make the same noise, the metal on metal sound. I didn't notice any leaks from the forks and all the adjusters work fine. Seals were replaced on May 20 as well.

My question is could this just be due to all the fork oil draining to the bottom of the forks since the bike was stored from December until now? If I ride it a bit more will the springs and fork internals get lubed up and stop rubbing? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to taking apart or diagnosing suspension problems so any help would be appreciated. I have a track day coming up in two weeks and the last thing I want to be worrying about is the front end not working properly.

Dave_636;43679 wrote: So here's the deal. I stored my bike all winter in a garage that wasn't heated. Bike was stored on front and rear stands and covered with a bike cover. I took the bike out of storage and I've been working on it the past few days. Went to take it out for a test ride down the driveway and when I compress the forks it makes a strange noise like a metal on metal squeal.

Forks were last serviced on May 20 of last year and I did 6-8 track days afterwards. When I stored the bike I know that it wasn't making any noise. I took the front wheel off and when I rotate the lower fork legs they both make the same noise, the metal on metal sound. I didn't notice any leaks from the forks and all the adjusters work fine. Seals were replaced on May 20 as well.

My question is could this just be due to all the fork oil draining to the bottom of the forks since the bike was stored from December until now? If I ride it a bit more will the springs and fork internals get lubed up and stop rubbing? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to taking apart or diagnosing suspension problems so any help would be appreciated. I have a track day coming up in two weeks and the last thing I want to be worrying about is the front end not working properly.
If you are worried about it, take the bike to someone who knows what their doing. i understand what your explaining but not sure what to tell you, any type of metal to metal contact that's, that audible should show signs of contact, so i would say, someone with suspension knowledge should inspect it, not someone who can change their fork or oil set up sag, no offense intended.

physicistkev

Control Rider
Not going against what is said above, but could you describe the sound a bit better?

The only harmless thing I can think of is noise of the springs rubbing the inside walls of the inner fork tube. The only way I could explain that sound is, that it sounds like the springs rubbing on the inside of the inner fork tube????? Maybe, like dragging 2 sheets of metal on top of each other. Not a ferocious grinding sound but smooth metal contact. You should also notice an identical sound regardless of the direction the fork is moving, up or down. You would also hear the noise whether you are compressing the forks or if you are rotating them.

As far as oil settling. Sure, it can happen but I would think that after a few (say 5 or 6) pumps of the forks, the oil would be everywhere it needs to be.

Dave_636

physicistkev;43731 wrote: Not going against what is said above, but could you describe the sound a bit better?

The only harmless thing I can think of is noise of the springs rubbing the inside walls of the inner fork tube. The only way I could explain that sound is, that it sounds like the springs rubbing on the inside of the inner fork tube????? Maybe, like dragging 2 sheets of metal on top of each other. Not a ferocious grinding sound but smooth metal contact. You should also notice an identical sound regardless of the direction the fork is moving, up or down. You would also hear the noise whether you are compressing the forks or if you are rotating them.

As far as oil settling. Sure, it can happen but I would think that after a few (say 5 or 6) pumps of the forks, the oil would be everywhere it needs to be.
It's not a grinding sound or anything like that, more like a squeak. Sounds like two pieces of metal rubbing against each other but with no oil to lubricate it. There is no sound for the first two inches of compression or so, after that I start hearing the noise. The noise is exactly the same when the forks are extending but again, only when the forks extend two inches after being compressed, the rest of the fork travel makes no noise. The noise is the same when I rotate the lower fork legs as well.

I could definitely see it being the springs rubbing against the fork tubes but my question would be why is it rubbing now?

Terrence, I definitely agree with you on the shop advice. I'm scrambling around to see if any shops can turn this around quick enough but surprisingly enough it's a bit difficult to find someone in the NYC area. I may give GMD a ring and see what they say. I was hoping this would be a simple solution that I could work on myself but if I have to ship them off so be it.

Thanks again for the advice, if anyone has any more bright ideas feel free to chime in!

Snow

Is the noise internal, or does it sound like it is coming from the dust seal? The dust seal is rubber obviously, but there is a oil stopper ring behind the seal that is metal. Try spraying the outer fork with some WD-40 near the dust seal and work the fork. That will lubricate the dust seal and the oil stopper ring dust seal side.

Dave_636

Snow;43741 wrote: Is the noise internal, or does it sound like it is coming from the dust seal? The dust seal is rubber obviously, but there is a oil stopper ring behind the seal that is metal. Try spraying the outer fork with some WD-40 near the dust seal and work the fork. That will lubricate the dust seal and the oil stopper ring dust seal side.
Not entirely sure it's difficult to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from. That's worth a shot though, I cleaned the fork legs with a light degreaser so maybe the oil stopper ring is binding up on the stanchion.

Thanks again for the advice much appreciated :cool:

the only way spring would rub on the inner tube , would be if the spring was not installed properly, "installed crooked" causing the spring to bunch and bulge to one side. I can also see the pre load spacer either cracking and catching part of the spring causing it bulge also, but i have never seen any of those before. also if i assume correctly you have a 636 which is an inverted set up which gives you much more room. The spring would sit partially in the lower leg but most of the spring is resting in the larger diameter outer tube, i there was a problem with a spring dragging you'd have to worry about it catching the top of the inner tube as it was compressed.

when is your next track day?

Dave_636

Handicapped Racer;43751 wrote: the only way spring would rub on the inner tube , would be if the spring was not installed properly, "installed crooked" causing the spring to bunch and bulge to one side. I can also see the pre load spacer either cracking and catching part of the spring causing it bulge also, but i have never seen any of those before. also if i assume correctly you have a 636 which is an inverted set up which gives you much more room. The spring would sit partially in the lower leg but most of the spring is resting in the larger diameter outer tube, i there was a problem with a spring dragging you'd have to worry about it catching the top of the inner tube as it was compressed.

when is your next track day?
If the problem started immediately after I got the forks serviced I would agree. The thing is they have worked perfectly until just now. And yeah I am running a 2005 ZX6R with new fork internals and .925 springs. I would send them back to Dave Moss to be serviced but they are way out in California and I don't think I have the time.

Next track day is April 11 and 12 at NJMP with NESBA.

well if you're curious take a floor jack and put it under the exhaust, loosen both fork caps and slowly drop the front end down. You'll be able to see if the springs are out of alignment.

Or take them off the bike and compress them individually to see which one's the culprit

Dave_636

So just got back from the garage. Good news is the noise is gone. Pumped up and down on the forks and sounded just like normal. Bad news is I don't know why it went away. The only thing I can guess is when I was washing the bike I had it up on rear and front stands. The front stand was the under triple tree mount so the forks were fully extended. I cleaned off the lower tubes and this left no oil residue to keep things lubed up.

I will keep an eye on it and make sure the noise doesn't come back.

T I will be sending out my forks soon regardless so I will be in touch. Thanks for all the advice much appreciated :cheers: