welding swingarm spools

thundertwini

my GSXR swingarm spool mounts are bent from a crash. I would like a welder to remove them and then reattach them.

do I have to take the swingarm off? do I need to take the rear wheel off? Does anybody know if Mark R at Markbilt can do this trackside?

matt2212

My best guess

No you don't have to remove the swing arm but do disconnect the battery

Yes the tire comes off

No he won't do it at the track that is something for the shop, even portable welders require lots of power and use different gas blends to act as buffers from oxygen
Wind is the enemy....

Again just my best guess

D-Swens

I don't know if Mark specifically will do it at the track, but it DEFINITELY CAN BE DONE. I've seen it done a bunch, esp at AMA events.

Also, if you are welding the GSXR swingarm, go with aftermarket swingarm spool tabs. They are chunkier and thicker, and hold up better in the long run. If you are already doing the operation, might as well go all the way, that part of the cost is nominal.

Mikey75702

I doubt at a trackday, anyone would be equipped to handle that job... I am sure Mark can do it at his shop, and its only a stones throw from the track.

gkotlin

Just lay the bike on it's side on a pile of thick blankets. Unplug the ECU. Heat the swingarm, weld em back on.

j_fuggin_t

just buy some chain adjusters with the stand hangers on it, i bent mine and partially cracked the weld last weekend, chain adjusters aren't too bad

hooligan998

I wouldn't chance frying the electronics by attaching a welding ground. We had some weld work done on a machine here at work years ago, and even though it was powered down and locked out, the welder fried a shitload of PLCs (Progammable Logic Controllers) and Servo Motor Drive Units. Very expensive lesson learned. I would take the swingarm off just to be safe.

moto1320

?...or you could use Lightec GP lifts. I'd tell you that their chain adjusters are 285.00 but I think Mr. Fuggin T wants to use another emoticon. :rolleyes:

If you've torqued the aluminum enough you may want to consider that that area may be compromised. While pricey, GP lifts are an option that you may want to consider depending on how much your time is worth. Personally, if I had the extra coin I'd do something other than weld the bungs back on.

Mikey75702

moto1320;239957 wrote: ?...or you could use Lightec GP lifts. I'd tell you that their chain adjusters are 285.00 but I think Mr. Fuggin T wants to use another emoticon. :rolleyes:

If you've torqued the aluminum enough you may want to consider that that area may be compromised. While pricey, GP lifts are an option that you may want to consider depending on how much your time is worth. Personally, if I had the extra coin I'd do something other than weld the bungs back on.
I think kenny at mrp charged my buddy ~$100 to make a new spool mount, and weld it on. Took Dan all of about 15 minutes including pick up and delivery... He just had to go without his bike for 24 hours. Not a big deal,or big cost. It's all in what the owner of the bike wants.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Mikey75702;240005 wrote: I think kenny at mrp charged my buddy ~$100 to make a new spool mount, and weld it on. Took Dan all of about 15 minutes including pick up and delivery... He just had to go without his bike for 24 hours. Not a big deal,or big cost. It's all in what the owner of the bike wants.
I'm in the wrong profession...:dunno: Nah, Dan does good great work.

Mikey75702

vinny337;240015 wrote: I'm in the wrong profession...:dunno: Nah, Dan does good great work.
Lol... Nah, dan was the owner of the bike. Kenny actually did the work, and i have no idea how long it took him... I just know how long it took us to drop off the bike and pick it up.