Went "off roading" at NCBIKE this weekend...trying to learn from it.

motorkas

I know what I did wrong to cause it - focused too much on catching Nate and didn't stay focused on my line, speed or turn point. Started turn in, knew I wasn't going to make it, stood it up and went into the grass.

The grass was wet (rained the night before) and once I was in there the bike was dancing all over the place and all I was focused on was relaxing, staying on the rear brake (thank you ABS) letting the bike do it's thing and getting back to the pavement. I knew I had just passed somebody moments before and he was going to be behind me soon but I also knew I had to relax and just let the bike correct and steer itself. Doing that put me on a line to go back to the track. Once I was on track, I tried to get off line as soon as possible to 1) not get in the way of the rider who was behind and 2) not to track mud or whatever else was on my tires onto the race line. I saw I was more than likely going to enter pass the race line/turn in point for the rider behind me and made the call to keep it upright and re-enter the track.

It worked out well but my question is: was it the right call? I know hindsight is 20/20 but trying to learn from this mistake(s).

FFWD to 11:15

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
Hey Kas,

First and foremost, very glad you are ok! After watching the video I think you did an excellent job of keeping the bike upright and getting it back to the pavement. Staying aware of your surroundings like that and thinking about how your trajectory would affect the rider behind you is very commendable. That is a VERY fast section of the track and gives you very little time to think and react. I would hope that if any rider behind you saw you go off that they would be aware of the chance that you could be coming back onto the track and plan accordingly.

I am very pleased to see you wanting to learn from this and share your experience. And you are right, you went off because of a "lack of focus". Quoting straight from YCRS, one of the top 5 reasons we crash is "lack of focus". Lack of focus on the technique. Your focus shifted to your desired "outcome", which was passing the rider in front of you. As you said, if you you had kept your focus on your line, speed and turn in you probably would have made the turn just fine.

The goal behind YCRS, N2/ATP is to help people become technical riders instead of emotional riders. We all want to go fast, get a good lap time, pass the rider in front of us...but if we let our emotions drive how we ride, we will not be able to focus on the technique, therefore adding more risk to the way we ride.

Again, thanks for sharing Kas. Based on your outlook and the fact that you are already aware of the fact that you went off because you lost focus, I think you have already learned from it. As far as your reaction on track I think you did the right thing. And the fact that you were concerned with your fellow rider during your time off-road speaks volumes to who you are as a person. I think you did exactly what anyone of us would have done...everything and anything you can to not hit the ground! :)

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
Yeah, sorry about getting so philosophical on you there. My brain goes there late at night sometimes. Seriously though, I think you handled the situation very well.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Nice save! Agree with the above comments. The only thing I'd add, and it's a very general comment, is to stop before re-entering the track if at all possible and have a cornerworker wave you back onto the track. Not always possible, speeds are too high, and it looks like you wouldn't have been able to stop before the pavement in this situation without putting yourself on the ground. Steering away isn't always good either. Overall, I think you handled it really well, things happen in a split second and you were aware someone was behind you. It's not easy to stay upright on grass!

motorkas

Yeah, sorry about getting so philosophical on you there. My brain goes there late at night sometimes. Seriously though, I think you handled the situation very well.

AJ - I think you mis interpreted my emoticon - only reason I used that one was because when I hovered over it it said "oops" and that was a big "oops" in the video:D.

Thanks Judy!!!! - lots of things going on at once - back end stepping out, can't steer, caught air a couple of times, no front brake, worried about the rider I know coming up. . .wet grass and slicks. . .definitely don't recommend it. . .:)

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Thanks Judy!!!! - lots of things going on at once - back end stepping out, can't steer, caught air a couple of times, no front brake, worried about the rider I know coming up. . .wet grass and slicks. . .definitely don't recommend it. . .:)

Believe me, I know! My one excursion into the grass didn't end as nicely as yours. :eek: So many things going on at once....I wish I could have gotten back to pavement...

LarsDunaway

Rat Boy
Staff member
Control Rider
Looks clean to me- that's a pretty slow portion of the track that you re-entered on. I do see a few different lines taken on that portion in the advanced group though, so your knowledge of the rider behind you and the lines he takes would also play into it. Not sure there's anything you could have done to avoid reentering the track even if you had wanted to though. For what it's worth- there is some NASTY runoff at NCBIKE. I made the mistake of riding off once and it ended poorly. Now at that track, if/when I find myself in a situation where I have to make a decision on standing the bike up and running off, or sticking to it, I put my head down and pray to the gods that my tires will hold on.

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
AJ - I think you mis interpreted my emoticon - only reason I used that one was because when I hovered over it it said "oops" and that was a big "oops" in the video:D.

Haha! No worries Kas. I think you and I are on the same page And again, thanks for sharing and letting me preach

selztoad

it was me that you passed, and I was watching you and slowed down to ensure we did not collide on your reentry glad you kept her up!

I was having issues with my front end all weekend, hence the reason i was dragging butt and bad lines.... found out my steering head bearings have play in them

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
Great Job of keeping it up Kas! Except for you THINKING of the guy you wanted to pass, You weren't THINKING of where you wanted to be on the track and that put you in a tough situation :eek:.
I've been there in the grass going fast and its not fun, to say the least!o_O
with that said, You did a great job of keeping it up and also getting it back on the track safely!
I know that you have learned a very valuable lesson and that is: keeping focused!

Dave561

Control Rider
Sorry going to have to pull the grumpy old man card here. Maybe imagine in a Tibor voice. What the sheet? Where you going? What kind of Mikey Mouse line you running? :D

In my opinion, you ran off the track two turns earlier, you just didn't know it yet. So let's back up a few turns. Where's your bike on track? How much of it are you using? When you made the pass, where did you set up for the next turns? Don't make me come out of retirement to smack you up side the head? :D

If you use the extra track you're giving away, you may not have needed to use the additional dirt course. Keep that in mind next time out and make sure you take full advantage of the course as your pace increases. Even more important on days when traction are less than optimal unless that portion of track is still drying and forces a tighter line

motorkas

Sorry going to have to pull the grumpy old man card here. Maybe imagine in a Tibor voice. What the sheet? Where you going? What kind of Mikey Mouse line you running? :D

In my opinion, you ran off the track two turns earlier, you just didn't know it yet. So let's back up a few turns. Where's your bike on track? How much of it are you using? When you made the pass, where did you set up for the next turns? Don't make me come out of retirement to smack you up side the head? :D

If you use the extra track you're giving away, you may not have needed to use the additional dirt course. Keep that in mind next time out and make sure you take full advantage of the course as your pace increases. Even more important on days when traction are less than optimal unless that portion of track is still drying and forces a tighter line

Right again Sensai!!!!!!!:D It was the first thing I noticed when I reviewed the vid - went wide to make the pass and never came back, was a good 6-8 off the apex for the fast left and coupled with everything left me hung out to dry with no bail out option. . .:eek:. The other problem was in the first session I had forgot to back out preload in the front from PITTRACE and the bike wouldn't turn - then backed it out 3 full turns for the above session and started to feel good and push it (bike would actually turn again but went from not being able to compress my forks to having them bottom out). . .Going from PITT RACE to NCBIKE taught me a very valuable lesson as well - start keeping suspension set up notes for each track. . .:).

Nice save! Agree with the above comments. The only thing I'd add, and it's a very general comment, is to stop before re-entering the track if at all possible and have a cornerworker wave you back onto the track. Not always possible, speeds are too high, and it looks like you wouldn't have been able to stop before the pavement in this situation without putting yourself on the ground. Steering away isn't always good either. Overall, I think you handled it really well, things happen in a split second and you were aware someone was behind you. It's not easy to stay upright on grass!

Thanks Judy!!!!!! It was an adventure to say the least:D

Looks clean to me- that's a pretty slow portion of the track that you re-entered on. I do see a few different lines taken on that portion in the advanced group though, so your knowledge of the rider behind you and the lines he takes would also play into it. Not sure there's anything you could have done to avoid reentering the track even if you had wanted to though. For what it's worth- there is some NASTY runoff at NCBIKE. I made the mistake of riding off once and it ended poorly. Now at that track, if/when I find myself in a situation where I have to make a decision on standing the bike up and running off, or sticking to it, I put my head down and pray to the gods that my tires will hold on.

Yeah, was pretty shocked about the bumps - am totally convince the only thing that saved me was ABS - the second I hit the rear brake it started to come around on me and then just corrected. . .once I knew I wasn't going to make it, the only thing I thought was "get the front wheel straight up and down for the grass, brake, ok let off NOW (as I hit the grass). . .rear brake" Glad I made it. . . actually got a standing ovation from the corner workers at the station in the last turn:D

Kas, I think you did a fantastic job at keeping it upright!

Thanks brother!!!!!!!

it was me that you passed, and I was watching you and slowed down to ensure we did not collide on your reentry glad you kept her up!

I was having issues with my front end all weekend, hence the reason i was dragging butt and bad lines.... found out my steering head bearings have play in them

I was hoping you'd react that way, but I also was concerned with my responsibility with the whole matter - once I made the pass, it's my responsibility to keep it clean to not mess with your flow and going off track because I blew. . .well everything. . . definitely was not being the best riding mate at that moment. I know shit happens and we're supposed to learn from it (which I definitely did) but still my apologies for not keeping it clean all the way through!!!!!!

Nice work keeping it up Kas! Good thing you have 2 sets of leathers...:D:D

:D:D:D:D:D Vinny, I swear this was the thought process:

"Are you f@#king kidding me. . .OK stand it up. . .rear brake. . .(rear steps out instantly). . .I can't believe Im f#$king going out like THIS. . .wow. . .I'm still upright. . .OK relax. . .(Then I went momentarily airborne). . .ohhhhhhh that can't be good for the suspension. . .THERE'S THE TRACK. . .I may just pull this off. . . .PAVEMENT. . .dont be a douche bag and tuck the front because of a wet muddy tire. . .(see the standing ovation from the corner workers). . .Thats right. . .meant to do that. . .o_O. . . .Thank you God!!!!!!!!

or something to that effect. . .:D

Great Job of keeping it up Kas! Except for you THINKING of the guy you wanted to pass, You weren't THINKING of where you wanted to be on the track and that put you in a tough situation :eek:.
I've been there in the grass going fast and its not fun, to say the least!o_O
with that said, You did a great job of keeping it up and also getting it back on the track safely!
I know that you have learned a very valuable lesson and that is: keeping focused!

Oh my brother - learned SEVERAL valuable lessons. . .just hoping my mistake will help others as well!!!!!!

motorkas

Kas, All I have running through my head is Mr. Miyagi saying " Must have focus"! LOL! ;)

I hear ya. . .you'll be happy to know that my feet were PERFECT though. . .:)

Greatest lesson learned - when you have an excursion - buy new parts for the bike . . .Brembo master was just delivered today:D