WERA members in ALABAMA?

swamp

Im signed up for WERA in 2009. Are there any NESBA/WERA members around Birmingham Alabama who are also going racing for the first time?

swamp

I was reading through the WERA rule book. My bike is a Daytona 675. So I guess I would have to race in C superstock novice for my first go at it. I was also thinking that solo events would be a good choice because its just me and the bike. Are these correct decesions??

Im still trying to figure out how to get all this stuff drilled and safety wired correctly without destroying hardware. Does anyone know if there is a website that sells bike specific pre-drilled hardware kits ??

fossilfuel- Endurance racing sounds awesome.. however im too much of a virgin noob to cut my teeth on that.

Does the WERA registration/ tech proceedure differ greatly from the NESBA proceedure? I mean what will I need to do after I unload my bike and get set up?

fossilfuel

Swamp,
I think that ou have the right idea about where to start as for as your class. In my opinion you shold go to the WERA website for most of the questions you are asking. Safety wiring is not that hard but there are technics for axle nuts, caliper bolts etc, etc.
I posted, some time ago, a diagram for safety wiring on the NESBA web site so you could search for that if you needed but really the WERA site is the best place to go.
I don't know if you have done an Ed Bargy race school or not but it is really worth while and at the end of the day there is a mock race. Also, you get a good rate for practice laps while the school is being held. Go to Ed's website for info.

Good Luck!

Jim McDowell

swamp;27340 wrote: I was reading through the WERA rule book. My bike is a Daytona 675. So I guess I would have to race in C superstock novice for my first go at it. I was also thinking that solo events would be a good choice because its just me and the bike. Are these correct decesions??

Im still trying to figure out how to get all this stuff drilled and safety wired correctly without destroying hardware. Does anyone know if there is a website that sells bike specific pre-drilled hardware kits ??

fossilfuel- Endurance racing sounds awesome.. however im too much of a virgin noob to cut my teeth on that.

Does the WERA registration/ tech proceedure differ greatly from the NESBA proceedure? I mean what will I need to do after I unload my bike and get set up?
Swamp,
I believe your 675 triple is also legal in heavyweight twins superbike but not superstock.
Best of luck.
Jim

swamp

Superbike

Jim,

If I put slicks on the Daytona would that make it legal for Superbike?.. or would I just run the Daytona in superstock trim with the heavyweight twins superbikes?

Katie785

solo races are not just you and the bike... They are money races 16-20 laps - longer than standard races. They are held on Saturday and have superbike rules, so there's the same amount of guys usually running those races as there are during the sprints if you're racing regional sportsman series.

They are great for practice if you're not top 8 or so and winning money.

Slicks are also not superstock legal..
For tech, it's much more strict with wera and you need to remove the lower to go through tech so they can see that everything is wired. I am assuming you have race body work, as the lower must be able to hold 5 quarts of fluid... the safetey wiring requirements are very numerous. If you are hesitant and dont want to be failed for tech your first day, you might want to take it to a race shop that knows wera's requirements.
-----
Scott Rosey is a Nesba CR and races a 675.. you might want to hit him up for specific questions if you dont want to ask the guys on the Wera board (forums.13x.com)

swamp

Katie, Thanks for the information.
So the solo-races are under superbike rules.. does that mean that slicks are allowed in the solo-races?

I have been doing lots of safety wiring lately (and breaking drill-bits) and Im almost done with the WERA requirements. I have a few questions about the WERA safety wiring list:

1. Could someone please tell me what "Brake Torque Arms" are and where they are located on the bike? are these the hand and foot brake levers?...

2. For the "Axles or Axle Nuts" requirement: (rear axle) my bike does not have a pin through the bolt and axle, its just a self locking axle nut... what should I do?? do I drill through the threaded axle then put an R-clip through it or do I drill at an angle through the axle nut then safety wire the nut to the chain adjuster bolt?

front axle- there is no way to wire my front axle. it requires a male front axle tool on the left side and the right side does not protrude enough to get a wire through it.... but I wired the front axle pinch bolts is this good enough?

3. "Lubricant Lines, Coolant Drains, Speedo and Tach Cables". How does tech want these done?? do I put a hose clamp around the end and base of each line and safety wire the hose clamp to something?

I appreciate all the help you guys have given me. Once I get through this first race hopefully I can help someone else out who is interested in doing some racing.

Katie785

Yep. you can run slicks in the solos. Alot of guys runs slicks sat then dots sunday if they race superstock...

my rad hoses are all safety wired with hose clamps.. make sure you get the gallery plugs/bolts too if you have them ( i never really looked close at a 675)... they were a bitch to wire and i missed them on my first attempt through tech.. my axle pin goes through the threaded part of the axle and the nut itself on the rear.. my front is different than yours.. im sure there is a way to do it though

swamp

I was looking through the service manual tonight. I didnt find anything labeled "gallery plug" but I did locate a big bolt near the oil filter that may be it. .. and it definately looks like a mo'fo to wire. Its got less of an area to drill than the friggin front axle!

did you drill it with the bolt still in the bike? If I take that gallery bolt out... im pretty sure most of my oil is going to come out with it. True or False????

as far as wiring the radiator hoses and oil lines go:
I did the radiator hoses and radiator drain bolt tonight. When wiring the hose clamps I wrapped the wire around the screw in the hose clamp and then looped the wire around the hose.. those things are NOT going to come off.

toysallround

Swamp,

Birmingham here. Going to try racing in 2009 too. Ed Bargy in Feb at TGPR and then race the weekend. Will do the WERA races at TGPR and Barber this year on a SV650. Should prove to be interesting.

Tom

swamp

Tom,

Awesome! we should pit together. Im planning on doing the same races as you but Ill be riding the Triumph 675. C superstock in the sprints on Sunday and doing the Solo events on Saturday. Ive been busting my ass on this safety wiring shinanigans for the past 2 weeks, I only have 3 bolts left to wire.
If you need any help with the wiring let me know. Im no master but i know how to drill a hole in a nut now.

Here is my phone number
205 249 2914

toysallround

Sounds good to me. The plan, so far, is to go down Friday morning and stay at the track thru Sunday and race the LWT SS, LWT SB, and Formula 2.

3 bolts left, I have all the safety wiring to do, so you'll be hearing from me!!

This year is starting early!

Tom