What's your track day packing list?

Witsbusa

After street riding for 17 years, I'm finally starting track days this year and taking the 2 day California Superbike School at NJMP in August. I have my track bike, I have my 6x12 trailer, I have my leathers, helmet, gloves, boots.. I have a cooler I'm going to stock with lots of water and snacks. I figure I should pick up two large gas cans..

What else is on everyone's packing list for single day track days. Any help is appreciated.

Ben

bmart

Control Rider
I've got a full page (at home) which is in sections. From my memory, they are something like:

Track day prep

Gear to pack

Tools to pack

Spares to pack

Track day debrief (notes on changes made, etc.)

If you'd like, I will cut and paste later from home.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome! You're going to love it!

Make sure you get red cans if you're planning to fill them in NJ! :) (Unless you're from Jersey and already know this!).

Some folks have posted good lists of items to bring in this thread: http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?t=13076&highlight=trackday+checklist

Although you certainly don't need everything on these lists if you're just starting out, you should bring these few essentials:

Basic tools in case you need to adjust anything, such as your chain.

I bring a portable air tank (those small ones you can get at the HD and fill at a gas station), as it's easier than lugging around a big compressor. Alternatively, someone usually has some air you could have. I overfill my tires by ~5 lbs so I just need to air them down in the morning, so on a one day event, I really don't even need air.

Tire gauge

In addition to water, bring some sportsdrinks like Gatorade.

A chair is a good thing. A canopy is a must-have (in my book) if you're going to keep doing this. For the first day, pit near someone, introduce yourself, and share theirs! :D If your trailer is enclosed, you can get out of the sun there, too.

Sunscreen and a hat

Earplugs

bmart

Control Rider
Spare bike keys in a different location; spare car and trailer keys in a different location! I have one friend...I'm not saying who...who got many many hours away for a track day only to found he had neither of his bike keys. It worked out only for the local locksmith! Of course, it has given me fodder for many years worth of jokes.

PJZOCC624

I don't know that you NEED two gas cans. A full tank on the bike and a full 5-gallon jug will easily get you through a full day. Most tracks are within a couple miles of a gas station, and sometimes its nice to leave the track area after the day is done to decompress. A run to the gas station is a good excuse!

As far as food... light food is good - fresh fruit, small sammiches (not foot-long subs), cereal for breakfast. Don't grill up a double-bacon cheeseburger for lunch - it'll sit like a lead bomb in your gullet. Plus, greezy cheeseburger burps in your helmet do NOT smell good.

Safety wire your key.
An old carpet or that green astro-turf is good for setting your chair on in the pits.
An emergency call list - ICE your phone or keep a printout on your dashboard of your vehicle.
Extra socks and underwear.
Motrin or Tylenol.
Beer for your pit neighbors - rookie rule, sorry.

bmart

Control Rider
I prefer to not have to hit the gas station over a two day weekend, and I don't mind having a little extra for a fellow Nesbian who is at risk of running out. Just a few thoughts.

jcrich

bmart;175427 wrote: I prefer to not have to hit the gas station over a two day weekend, and I don't mind having a little extra for a fellow Nesbian who is at risk of running out. Just a few thoughts.
Agree. I get ethanol-free fuel locally, so I try not to buy any at the track if possible.

BigBird

Congrats on coming to the track. Definitely, i would say, a life changing experience.

You seem to be well prepared already!

I like to bring everything but the kitchen sink.
I pack a lot of extra parts (not as easy to find extra zx6r parts in the paddock)
Almost all my tools for the bike and stuff like tape, zip ties, etc. (tool box weighs over 60 pounds)
Plenty of Gatorade, water and snack bars.
I now carry any extra set of gear that I may have.
Gear- gloves, suit, helmet, boots, back and chest protector, Bohn Shorts, and undersuit
Rear and Front Stands
OEM Manual for the bike
GoPro Cameras
5 Gallon Tank of Fuel. Can refill overnight locally or if need be at the track
Canopy
and I forgot one thing, THE BIKE with KEYS and a smile :D

Enjoy!

stow

jcrich;175366 wrote: Definitely do not forget your leathers. Don't ask how I know this. :D

:doh:

I forgot the key to the trailer one time at Road Atlanta. Everything was locked in the trailer. Luckily I only live about 35 minutes away. The sad thing is once I got back to the trailer, I realized I have a spare key to the trailer in the truck :doh:

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
HondaGalToo;175513 wrote: Always sooooo helpful! :)
look....as the rebirth off slowpoke's thread, i think it is obvious...might as well just jumpp in head first!!!:p

California Superbike School at NJMP in August?
BUG SPRAY!!!
the mosquitto is the state bird of NJ

jcrich

stow;175563 wrote: :doh:

I forgot the key to the trailer one time at Road Atlanta. Everything was locked in the trailer. Luckily I only live about 35 minutes away. The sad thing is once I got back to the trailer, I realized I have a spare key to the trailer in the truck :doh:
LOL. We were headed for Road Atlanta and were between Asheville and Greenville. I just blurted out, "I didn't put my leathers in the trailer". Had to call my wife to put them in a box and get to FedEx to overnight, Saturday deliver to the hotel in Oakwood. That was not cheap. Fortunately one of my friends was about the same size, so shared his leathers until lunch when I went and picked up mine at the hotel. Good times.:D