What does it take to become a CR?

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Psychoholic;265318 wrote: A 300# dude on a 400# motorcycle that makes 95 hp on a good day is not going to be competitive against a full fairing 400# bike with a 160# dude on it.
That is why I ride an R1. I started track days on a 1000 and I will finish with a 1000. As far as looking back to my first day, I wish I had brought some humble pie with me. I was too eager to pass a friend and ended up riding off track. Kept it up, but should have waited for another opportunity to pass. You have no idea what it is like to push a motorcycle like we do on the track. Sure, any idiot can go flat out on a highway. But throw some corners at that idiot and see how much slower he goes. Good luck at Road Atlanta. I wish I could ride with you. That's one track that is on my list that I haven't ridden yet.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Thunderace;265342 wrote: That is why I ride an R1. I started track days on a 1000 and I will finish with a 1000. As far as looking back to my first day, I wish I had brought some humble pie with me. I was too eager to pass a friend and ended up riding off track. Kept it up, but should have waited for another opportunity to pass. You have no idea what it is like to push a motorcycle like we do on the track. Sure, any idiot can go flat out on a highway. But throw some corners at that idiot and see how much slower he goes. Good luck at Road Atlanta. I wish I could ride with you. That's one track that is on my list that I haven't ridden yet.
I'm pretty sure NOT bringing a slice of humble pie is something that 99% of first day track riders forget to bring...and I'm no exception either.

:banghead:

Sorry Allen, but some things need said in public.

Psyco:

You are new Brother and welcome aboard, but you should have some history. Blueninja1 (a.k.a Brandon) was an absolute disaster at many of the trackdays he attended in addition to being disrespectful to both NESBA members and staff to the point it almost became performance art...almost.

Although his postings are just trying to help and his being sincere with the helpful advice, how his past behavior on the track and again to members and staff is something different entire and I for one do not believe he has changed.

BZ

z064life

OP...some things about track riding

1) It is not a race
2) There is always someone faster
3) Do not sign up for I group on your 1st day...that's never pretty..work for the bump

If this is truely your 1st day (never even attended a trackday before). Pit up close to someone that looks like they have their shit together and introduce yourself. I haven't meet anyone at that track that wasn't willing to help out.

Do not come with any expectation to be fast. Be smooth 1st and fast will come later. You will be nervous so just get the newness out your first few session/day before you even think about pushing it much. Other than that, listen to the CRs and have fun. BTW that nervousness will be there on your 1st session after being bumped to I....and it will show up again going to A :D

Psychoholic

This is good knowledge - I am going to start a separate thread for 'what would you do different' since my original question has been well answered but we're getting good advice on first time wisdom.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
blueninja1;265327 wrote:
don't worry about conditioning/weight, etc., the more you ride the easier it gets and no matter what weight you are you can still be fast. trust me i've seen many shapes at the track and even the most heavyset surprised me quite a bit

i'm back and ready to kick some serious track ass

Right there with Beta and Bubba....these statements (Bad advise all around) show nothing's changed.

Brandon..just stay away from me.

z064life

D-Zum;265375 wrote: Right there with Beta and Bubba....these statements (Bad advise all around) show nothing's changed.

Brandon..just stay away from me.
What group does Brandon ride in?

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
From what I can see, it's a huge commitment...but at the end of the day it's very rewarding.

Meat

I think it takes a love for sweating your balls off on 100 degree days. I don't see any other reason why a sane person would CR a session, then sit on pit road, baking in 100 degree heat in full leathers, then go out and ride in Advanced group for fun.

Meat

Bubba Zanetti;265365 wrote: Sorry Allen, but some things need said in public.

Psyco:

You are new Brother and welcome aboard, but you should have some history. Blueninja1 (a.k.a Brandon) was an absolute disaster at many of the trackdays he attended in addition to being disrespectful to both NESBA members and staff to the point it almost became performance art...almost.

Although his postings are just trying to help and his being sincere with the helpful advice, how his past behavior on the track and again to members and staff is something different entire and I for one do not believe he has changed.

BZ
Very well put, and good advice BZ.

kubricky

Control Rider
Director
Chris...as I said when we emailed each other, I see the hilarity, disaster, and quite frankly, lack of respect sometimes on the boards. Spend this time prepping your mind, bike, and body...when you get to the track and have that experience, you'll be better able to ask the right questions FOR YOU...and most importantly people will have the opportunity to form the opinions which drive their perception in person.

Fast or slow, sliding on your leathers, or passing on a rumble strip, the TD is about having fun, leaving the way you came (be respectful of yourself, your ability, and OTHERS on the track), and learning all that you can to make you a make you a better high perfromance rider.

We are all alpha personalities riding machines that do 150+ (sorry BZ...hehe) there is going to be some tension...just accept/ignore as appropriate and don't take anything personally. Look forward to meeting you.

tdelegram

Control Rider
kubricky;265534 wrote: Chris...as I said when we emailed each other, I see the hilarity, disaster, and quite frankly, lack of respect sometimes on the boards. Spend this time prepping your mind, bike, and body...when you get to the track and have that experience, you'll be better able to ask the right questions FOR YOU...and most importantly people will have the opportunity to form the opinions which drive their perception in person.

Fast or slow, sliding on your leathers, or passing on a rumble strip, the TD is about having fun, leaving the way you came (be respectful of yourself, your ability, and OTHERS on the track), and learning all that you can to make you a make you a better high perfromance rider.

We are all alpha personalities riding machines that do 150+ (sorry BZ...hehe) there is going to be some tension...just accept/ignore as appropriate and don't take anything personally. Look forward to meeting you.
Most importantly:

PAY ATTENTION IN THE RIDERS MEETING, especially Chris's!