What gives with the VIR track dates being cancelled?

First we lost June 9th and 10th. Now July 22-23rd. Aug 11th and 12th also disappeared but fortunately I wasn't scheduled but would have since the July dates went away.

I've lost half my track days. I appreciate the efforts of the staff but adding more dates doesn't help if you can't make them. Many of us work weekends. I'm off half of the weekends and and have to take vacation for the ones I'm not. Which means others are impacted who get scheduled to work for me. Blah blah blah

Does this go back to an old thread of mine about VIR being car friendly and bike not so?

I'm not complaining - well yes I am sorry but I'm just worried about my August dates the 18th and 19th. After June 2nd and 3rd it's all I have left.

Whining done.

????

Reg

Sorry to hear that. This year seems more volatile. It is for VIR compared to 2011 and 2010. I haven't looked at the other tracks (dates) for 2012.

I need to me happy for what I have. I know the guys work hard to get us track time. Maybe this will get me out of state.

JRA

We have twelve days at VIR this year and we had fourteen last year (the most ever-reason being we were able to secure the three day AMA weekend at the last minute). Everything else that was on the preliminary schedule at the beginning of the year were tentative dates and we never officially had them; so if you don't see them on the schedule now that means they either didn't end up be offered to us, or weren't accepted if they were offered . The only dates we have lost are Patriot, North in July and that's explained here (see link below). We have had the same number of days-give or take one or two- at VIR for the last ten years so nothing has changed in those ten years except for the fact that more of our days are on the North Course in the last two years.

http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?p=242130#post242130

JRA;242754 wrote: Everything else that was on the preliminary schedule at the beginning of the year were tentative dates and we never officially had them; so if you don't see them on the schedule now that means they either didn't end up be offered to us, or weren't accepted if they were offered .
I understand what you are trying to do but I'd rather the dates not appear on the schedule unless and until they are solid.

Sort of like a waiter bringing a menu and saying, "It's tentative sir we'll let you know what's available later perhaps after you order." :D

JRA

Yes, but dozens of other people are asking repeatedly for a peek at what we are working on for the next season, and it's not like your analogy because our restaurant doesn't take reservations until the menu is finalized and everyone has had the opportunity for weeks in advance to see what you can order. All we did at the beginning of this year was allow you to walk by in the off season and look at the tentative menu in the window to see what you might be able to order once we start accepting reservations. In your analogy you'd be pulling into the gate and asking to run North and then find out that the only thing available that weekend is Patriot:D

What you have to understand is that all of the tracks have multiple good customers vying for the same dates. Most tracks want to do their best to accommodate all of those customers as best they can. Everybody wants the weekends, and then after that maybe Friday's and Monday's. We get a list of possible dates from a track and compare it to our list of other possible dates from the other tracks and look for conflicts. We posted up the possible dates that worked for us. In the mean time all of the other organizations do the exact same thing and then go back to the track with the dates that work for them. At that point the track (VIR in this case) tries to work with everyone to give them as many of the dates that work for them as possible and still try to keep everyone happy.

This has nothing to do with VIR being more car friendly than motorcycle friendly. If you look at all of the motorcycle events at VIR between NESBA, Cornerspeed, TPH, CSS, CCS, and WERA you just can't make the argument that they want to only cater to the cars. As far as track management goes they are great to work with and my feeling is they genuinely like having us there.

Thanks John. Like I said I know you guys are working hard to get us what we have. It just frustrating for people like me who get few weekends off and have to take vacation for others just to get a half dozen days and then those go away. I have a fellow coworker in "A" group that goes through the same thing. And email from other riders in the same boat.

I have to figure out the credit/rewards thing now. My VISA card showed a paid for these (cancelled) days at the beginning of the year. I'll look over the statements again to see if a credit showed up.

Trying to stay positive. The wife says to look on the bright side. For me I'm looking at more distant tracks now. A new adventure.

Reg

PawPaw

That would be awesome JRA to arrive at VIR and find out we are running Patriot instead of North!:D:D Next time I come to ride North I'll bring the Supermoto just in case!!:D:D I love me some Supermoto on the Patriot!

JRA;242762 wrote: All we did at the beginning of this year was allow you to walk by in the off season and look at the tentative menu in the window to see what you might be able to order once we start accepting reservations.
Perhaps however, my card has been charged for "tentative" dates that have now been cancelled. I don't mind donations but really now.

JRA;242762 wrote:
This has nothing to do with VIR being more car friendly than motorcycle friendly. . .
We can agree to disagree. I used to run a car there and have friends that race cars. Study their history and walk around the garages. You won't see too many motorcycles housed or being built at VIR. They know where their bread is buttered and who's doing it.

All the same again I'm happy for the dates we have and for what you guys do. See you this weekend.

Reg

dbakerpa

afinepoint;243040 wrote: Perhaps however, my card has been charged for "tentative" dates that have now been cancelled. I don't mind donations but really now.

We can agree to disagree. I used to run a car there and have friends that race cars. Study their history and walk around the garages. You won't see too many motorcycles housed or being built at VIR. They know where their bread is buttered and who's doing it.

All the same again I'm happy for the dates we have and for what you guys do. See you this weekend.

Reg
Other than Barber where do you see bikes being built and stored? It may be true that guys that can run $90k cars around the track at the weekend may spend a little more but it isnt like these venues can make a load off the amenities.
I am pretty sure that JRA would not BS you about track managment anyway. VIR remains a great venue. If you want more days there start racing.

dbakerpa;243065 wrote: Other than Barber where do you see bikes being built and stored? It may be true that guys that can run $90k cars around the track at the weekend may spend a little more but it isnt like these venues can make a load off the amenities.
I am pretty sure that JRA would not BS you about track managment anyway. VIR remains a great venue. If you want more days there start racing.

That's my point. There are no bikes being built or stored at VIR. But plenty of cars.

I know JRA is being forthcoming. I just feel that guys running $150k cup cars are probably a little more in the inner circle of VIR than those like us running $20K bikes. Go look at a Porsche or BMW event.

As for racing would love to but waited too long. Too old now. :( I'd be a rolling road block. :p

It's not a big deal. I'm looking to fill in with other groups. It's all about track time. Can't get better watching.

Reg

steve p

afinepoint;243068 wrote:

As for racing would love to but waited too long. Too old now. :( I'd be a rolling road block. :p

Reg
I call BS right there. I know of A LOT of guys the are chronologically challenged who race and do it well. Age hasn't got shit to do with it. Find another reason. :D

j_fuggin_t

steve p;243069 wrote: I call BS right there. I know of A LOT of guys the are chronologically challenged who race and do it well. Age hasn't got shit to do with it. Find another reason. :D
:agree: he smokes me every weekend i'm out with him :banghead:

dbakerpa

That's the fun part. If you can go out and roll by one 20 yr old punk you have made your day. They also give us old guys formula 40.

steve p;243069 wrote: I call BS right there. I know of A LOT of guys the are chronologically challenged who race and do it well. Age hasn't got shit to do with it. Find another reason. :D
It does say "I" in my signature. And newly "I" at that. Do "I"s race? I' don't know if I could make it from "I" to racing in time. :notsure: Need seat time. Thus my beef with dates I can do being cancelled.

Tell you what Steve you gonna be at VIR this weekend? I'll put it on the line. Lets do a couple of laps together and I'll take your advice and run with it. You tell me I can race and I'll do what I can to make it happen. Deal?

I can hear my wife now. You going to do what?!:eek:

Man I would love it though! They do a seniors group? Now if I can only make "A" before retirement.

Reg