What happened to Pocono?

Poper

What's Pocono?

Just kiddin. I ran the Old Girl three times in my life. She was great, until I met a real circuit.:)

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I don't think they ran it last year, either. With the opening of NJMP, I say who needs it? Pocono hates motorcycles anyway.

john315

yeah I have heard some things about the track, but it is fairly close, and I am looking to do my first track day, so I am not looking to travel far and spend alot getting there. I thought last year there were a lot of dates for Pocono.

maybe it was another organization I am thinking of.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Probably, nesba didn't run there last year. Although, the East course isn't bad for a first track day. Well, it used to be, I think it's currently in not such great shape. Go to NJMP instead if you can. Much nicer!

Fastguy

I once called in slick to work from Pocono, got drunk and got sunburned watching Formula- USA in the mid-90's.

I had to return to work that monday with a suntan! :D

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Fastguy;136522 wrote: I once called in slick to work from Pocono, got drunk and got sunburned watching Formula- USA in the mid-90's.

I had to return to work that monday with a suntan! :D
Hahaha, doncha hate that? I wasn't feeling well...really. Doc prescribed sun...

I remember when they ran FUSA there...I was at some of those back then, too!

DesmoLin

Riding Pocono for your first couple of trackdays is like going to bootcamp...you come out a more confident rider ready to tackle any other track...tracks like NJMP ride like butter compared to Pocono.

LOrtega

Control Rider
Seriously Poconos has not shown Bikes love in a long time and never will that is why they lost 99% of all thier bike biz... TPM still does a day here and there at Pocono if you really want to go...

But as I have heard from many people well high up the TrackDay ladder they have NASCAR and everything else is pocket change, why spend money on a bike course that will take 10 years of track days to repay the work to fix the track....

Not to mention closest Trama unit is 75miles away so if you go down and get really hurt make sure your medical INS. covers a Helicopter ride ....

Do yourself a favor find the time and go to a real track that wants your bizness

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
LOrtega;136578 wrote:

But as I have heard from many people well high up the TrackDay ladder they have NASCAR and everything else is pocket change, why spend money on a bike course that will take 10 years of track days to repay the work to fix the track....
Exactly! 10-15 years ago motorcycle clubs asked for some improvement to the run-off, nothing major, just smooth out/fill the ditches. Pocono management refused and said they didn't care if a motorcycle ever turned a wheel there. Looks like they're getting their wish now.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Pocono will always hold a place in my heart. Got my bump to 'I' there.

I thought it was a really cool track because the only other one I'd been to was Summit Jefferson. Then I went to NJMP and discovered what a real track is.

The pit area is completely gravel. No pavement.

Both times I went to Pocono, there was ONE person riding 'A' group. That kinda clued me in.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
The surface is crap, the layout is barely OK, and there are walls in critical places everywhere you don't want to see them.

And as everyone else has said, the ownership and management just don't care.

I did my first Team Suzuki Advanced Rider's School there in 1997...NESBA ran FUSA there last like in 2004. I was there & it sucked.

Trust me, it will be worth it to travel for your first track day. Summit Main with last year's pavement issues was better and more fun.

algunn

If you're close to Pocono, look for a date at Monticello. It's probably closer than NJMP and supposed to be nice.