What happened to the A of old???

cannon

Casper;54541 wrote: No offense intended there, but you gotta read my post in the context of the thread. "A" has gotten slow. There are a ton of y'all that are rockin' and rollin', but the bottom quarter of the "A" group, which laps in the 25-27 range, should take a step back because the disparity in pace is comical.

Next time you need a laugh, grab a stopwatch and a pair binocs; you'll see what I mean.

:D

GYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT DAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Mannnn... If this was the SE, Geoff Reed woulda been threatening to turn those black stickers into yellow ones!!!! Trust me... I know!!!!

kubricky

Control Rider
Director
Casper agreed on the diparity in times...probably by about 10 seconds from 1:17s from the really fast guys to 1:27s (maybe) for guys that may be off pace, new to the group, or just trying to go to work Monday morning. I did find that as crowded as the A group was and with the disparity I had no problems getting through traffic or being on the receiving end of a few well placed stuffs...real comfortable riding with the group...

Ryan and Katie are dead on as far as it goes though...doing 1:27s and being smooth and consistent is preferable to the guy who can turn a 1:19 with one eye closed as his heart skips a beat into every turn then has to find a different line out every time.

Morph

Control Rider
kubricky;54573 wrote: Casper agreed on the diparity in times...probably by about 10 seconds from 1:17s from the really fast guys to 1:27s (maybe) for guys that may be off pace, new to the group, or just trying to go to work Monday morning. I did find that as crowded as the A group was and with the disparity I had no problems getting through traffic or being on the receiving end of a few well placed stuffs...real comfortable riding with the group...

Ryan and Katie are dead on as far as it goes though...doing 1:27s and being smooth and consistent is preferable to the guy who can turn a 1:19 with one eye closed as his heart skips a beat into every turn then has to find a different line out every time.
Bah Bah Bah...............................................BOOTS

Landshark

Control Rider
FWIW, These things get noticed and remembered. I don't think it would be fair to make moves down based on times alone, just as its not prudent to make those moves up. I agree that some people showed the skills to move and others needed just a bit of one thing or another. Thing was with a full house you have two options. One stay in the group you paid to ride in and work on something that doesent violate the rules of that group or pull up a chair for the rest of the day and watch the new group you got into. That would also apply to moves down. If there were an imeadiate safety reason I have no doubt that bumps down would have been made even if that rider was now unable to ride due to the group being over filled.
This org is only as strong as its members. We need these comments and observations to make this both enjoyable and safe. So keep it comin, but also keep in mind some flexibility is always needed.

crewnutz

Casper;54541 wrote: No offense intended there, but you gotta read my post in the context of the thread. "A" has gotten slow. There are a ton of y'all that are rockin' and rollin', but the bottom quarter of the "A" group, which laps in the 25-27 range, should take a step back because the disparity in pace is comical.

Next time you need a laugh, grab a stopwatch and a pair binocs; you'll see what I mean.

:D

"A" has gotten slow?

I saw plenty of fast guys out there Sunday :notsure:

its easy for someone who doesnt ride in a certain group to call them slow...............like people have said, "A" group at a NESBA trackday isnt all about speed, its a trackday not a race (yea I realize Ive been told that more times than I can count :) )

its about predictability more than anything IMO

Morph

Control Rider
crewnutz;54607 wrote: "A" has gotten slow?

I saw plenty of fast guys out there Sunday :notsure:

its easy for someone who doesnt ride in a certain group to call them slow...............like people have said, "A" group at a NESBA trackday isnt all about speed, its a trackday not a race (yea I realize Ive been told that more times than I can count :) )

its about predictability more than anything IMO

I agree. Look at Jims (thunderace) video he posted. Lots of CLEAN close passing.

MARK65

Its not always about lap times ,it is about experience.How many crashes in A as compared to the other classes.

cannon

On Sunday, there were a lot of current/former club racing champions, along with a gang of current/former racers who fight for (or have fought for) podiums/top 5's on any given Sunday! Sunday wasn't your typical, friendly trackday. It was definitely ridden like a race practice and if u weren't on your "A" game, u simply had to hold on for the ride.

In the past, sure the "A" group was "allowed" to pass on the inside of the turns but guys/gals typically waited in that gentlemanly manner for a straight or an exit or something subtle on the outside. If a rider is used to a kinder, gentler trackday environment, I have no doubt that they were surprised by the amount of stovetop STUFFING that was being served and it's not even Thanksgiving!

Everyone agrees that there was a disparity in times but u get that in any track environment whether it's GP/WSBK/AMA/WERA/CCS or whatever. It comes with the territory. The reason why folks pay so much attention to the smoothness/consistency of a rider, even in "A" is because typically, you sit behind someone while waiting to "make it happen."

I doubt ANYBODY in "A" had the time to study lines and figure out who was erratic or inconsistent out there Sunday because that would've taken too long.

Sunday was straight from the "Robbing Banks for Dummies" manual... STICK AND MOVE! IN AND OUT! No time for games!

I have no idea who was erratic or off line. All I know is who was slow/slower and who was fast/faster. Hell no I'm not gonna say that it was a peachy clean nesba event where EVERYBODY hit there marks on EVERY lap on EVERY turn because that would be bullshit. What I will say is that 1-2 red flags with all the ROBBERY/STABBING going on says more than enough.

The bottom line is that people knew their role and obviously didn't ride over their head because that alone is the tell tale indicator i.e. how many times the crash truck rolled out!!!

For instance, If Arnie or Atwell or Coleman came by me, I'm well aware of who they are and what they're capable of so yeah, I'd hop on for a turn or 3 but then I'd get dropped off, lol. I wouldn't ride over my head trying to keep up because crashing HURTS!!! Now if Drew, Brandon, Doyer, Laws etc came by, I'd hang on for a lil longer because I'm just a tick off their pace so the comfort level goes up while attempting to keep the gap at a minimum. Then there are the guys/gals like Morph, Katie, Hairless Ron, Moe/Von and Ryan who I'm more than familiar with and don't mind rubbing elbows with and all that jazz.

The bottom line is KNOWING YOUR ROLE! KNOWING WHAT YOU ARE CAPABLE OF AND WHAT KIND OF RIDING WILL KEEP U OUT OF THE DIRT AND OUT OF THE BOX.

There's enough humble pie to pass around...

Have some. It'll do you (and those around you) a lot of good!

Casper

Landshark;54587 wrote: FWIW, I don't think it would be fair to make moves down based on times alone, just as its not prudent to make those moves up.

This org is only as strong as its members. We need these comments and observations to make this both enjoyable and safe. So keep it comin, but also keep in mind some flexibility is always needed.

Agreed. Y'all do a phenomenal
job at these events and the personal instruction that the CRs give is greatly valued. As this weekend proved to me, Lord knows I need all of the help I can get!

That said, the disparity in pace, in any given group, can be frustrating at times for the members that are either faster or slower than the majority of their group.

greytop

Morph;54617 wrote: I agree. Look at Jims (thunderace) video he posted. Lots of CLEAN close passing.
no doubt...at my pace (1:23 to 1:25 depending on the traffic) I'm at the slower end of the group and so I got passed a bunch (and passed a little) but only had one close call..got rubbed a few times. I felt very comfortable out there and learned a few things myself. Mostly, that I probably have a bit too much "track day etiquite" in that I would often get passed by someone whilst awaiting to pass a slower rider in front of me...I need to be a tick more deliberate in my passing it seems.

I thoroughly enjoyed the day...

Ducfast

Well d*mn... I should not have read this thread.

Sunday was my first U.S. trackday and I had a great time in the A class. It was spot on a typical practice day like the ones I knew in Japan. Varied speeds but a professional approach. I know I did screw up one guy when I caught one false neutral going into uh... shoot, I don't even know the turn names... but that stuff can happen.

Anyway, I hope last Sunday becomes the norm. I've missed this sport and am happy to be back on a track and practicing to the level I can race at. I simply could not enjoy it any other way.

ckgtimk2

people are getting into A way to easily, CR's talk about consistency, not just from lap to lap, but weekend to weekend, track to track. Advanced status should be earned. an advanced rider shouldnt have a hard time getting back into it after time off or a new bike or whatever.

Drewbie

I had a blast out there Sunday. Funny how all the B and I guys complain that there are too many riders to get in fast laps when A had 39 PLUS all the CR's out there. I thought it was fun coming up on a group and trying to pick my way through.

KTD

ckgtimk2;55083 wrote: people are getting into A way to easily, CR's talk about consistency, not just from lap to lap, but weekend to weekend, track to track. Advanced status should be earned. an advanced rider shouldnt have a hard time getting back into it after time off or a new bike or whatever.
your mom

Ducfast

I had a blast out there Sunday. Funny how all the B and I guys complain that there are too many riders to get in fast laps when A had 39 PLUS all the CR's out there. I thought it was fun coming up on a group and trying to pick my way through.
Spot on comment!

RyanITV

Admin
ckgtimk2;55083 wrote: people are getting into A way to easily, CR's talk about consistency, not just from lap to lap, but weekend to weekend, track to track. Advanced status should be earned. an advanced rider shouldnt have a hard time getting back into it after time off or a new bike or whatever.
+1000

I agree - I was one of those guys early last year. Got my "A" bump at Beaver then got lapped at Road A my next event. It still took me almost half the season to get up to speed in "A" - if I'd spent another 2-3 weekends in "I" there probably wouldn't have been that grey area.

Ryan

bigkaley

Control Rider
RyanITV;55123 wrote: +1000

I agree - I was one of those guys early last year. Got my "A" bump at Beaver then got lapped at Road A my next event. It still took me almost half the season to get up to speed in "A" - if I'd spent another 2-3 weekends in "I" there probably wouldn't have been that GHEY area.

Ryan
Fixed it for you. :dunno: