What Helmet?

ZeroBahamutxRR

First off, if someone thinks this should be in a different Section let me know. I was not sure where to post it so I picked here. My question is that I currently have a scorpion exo helmet and its only two years old but I'm experiencing heavy wind buffeting and air coming through the bottom on the visor (where the helmet is supose to seal). I noticed it last year (when the helmet was only a year old). I do have a double bubble windscreen so its not the bike (as far as I feel). If i'm going to spend money on another helmet I want it to be a good one. Price is not that big of a deal as long as its justified. I.E. a 500-750 Arai or Shoei if it is benifical. What I'm looking for is some opinions on helmets, more so from people that have had a few different ones and have an unbiased opinion. Thanks.

Mikey75702

Haven't had a scorpion, but have ridden in more then a few hjc's and a couple arai..... I feel the expense is justified with the arai, as they are quite, comfortable, and have excellent venting. Make sure to find someone to fit you that knows what they are doing. Arai makes a few different shell shapes to fit different profile heads. There are some folks like the service pavilion, that can even custom fit them to you using various padding.

I am pretty sure CR Lou, is a distributor for arai and shoei... He might be able to help fit you at a trackday or something.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I've only ridden in Arai, but I like them, and +1 to the Service Pavilion. They'll fit you up with the correct pads and do custom padding if needed, no extra cost.

The main thing is to have one that fits properly, be it Arai, Shoei, whatever.

Cooly0

Just curious, what model Scorpian. I've been using Scorpian Exo700's for years, with little to no problem. Except Last 2 days at blackhawk, I felt I could have used more venting/cooling of some sort.

Matt H

I've been through Arai, Shoei, OGK, Scorpion.......lots of helmets. THE VERY FIRST THING IS TO TRY THEM ON!!!! Seriously. It all starts there. I've not only used the above helmets, but have had Sharks, Bell, HJC, you name it on my head. They all fit differently. Seriously. And then even models from one company fit different. A Shoei RF-1100 fits completely different than an X-12 - one my work for you when the other doesn't. Arai's Corsair and Profile have completely different shapes.

So forget brand, color, graphic, whatever. Put the helmets of the different sizes on your head. THEN AND ONLY THEN, start asking questions and making decisions about which OF THE ONES THAT FIT might be better. For those that don't know, you want the helmet really snug, but with no painful pressure spots. With some of the different shapes of helmets, some might even fit somewhat good but you are kissing the inside of the chin piece (this you don't want).

So find the models that fit your head, and then decide on graphic and which one of those models. I can go into all sorts of stuff about each one I've used from personal experience, but it's all moot if it doesn't fit correctly.

/rant lol.

ZeroBahamutxRR

Cooly0;199501 wrote: Just curious, what model Scorpian. I've been using Scorpian Exo700's for years, with little to no problem. Except Last 2 days at blackhawk, I felt I could have used more venting/cooling of some sort.
It is a model 700. The issue of wind through the visor is probably more of an issue because I wear contacts. Having wind come in and dry my right eye out to the point that the contact falls out into turn 5 at lightning is not an issue I want to deal with lol.

Matt H;199505 wrote:
So find the models that fit your head, and then decide on graphic and which one of those models. I can go into all sorts of stuff about each one I've used from personal experience, but it's all moot if it doesn't fit correctly.

/rant lol.
I completely agree. A CR once told me that "a cheap good and snug fitting helmet is far better than an expensive loose or bad fitting one". Just wanted some imput more along the lines of areodynamics. I know that certain helmets are far more controlled at full pace then a cheaper line.

Big D

I had a Scorpion EXO-400 for a while that was heavy, uncomfortably snug and felt like it would snap my neck if I wasn't in a full tuck. Eventually I upgraded to a Bell Star. It was better in every aspect to the Scorpion I had previously owned though I will say that it did seem a bit noisier than it's predecessor. Unfortunately I only had it a couple months before it got scuffed up in low speed spill, courtesy of a nice lady changing lanes whilst balls deep texting. :mad: After that I caught a killer deal on a Shoei RF-1100. The fitment was perfect, it never got hot despite being incredibly quiet and it sliced through the wind with ease. After crash testing it head first and not even getting a concussion, I've been sold to that model ever since.

ZeroBahamutxRR

Bell Star vs Exo-400

Took the Bell Star out to T-bolt on monday. It performed very well. Areodynamics of the helmet were what I was looking for. There was little to no turbulance at pace and ventalation was great especially being 104 degrees on the track. Down falls of the helmet would have to be that it scratches very easily and that the strap padding is clumsy and bulky when riding. Other than that I was much better than the exo.

Matt H;199505 wrote: I've been through Arai, Shoei, OGK, Scorpion.......lots of helmets. THE VERY FIRST THING IS TO TRY THEM ON!!!! Seriously. It all starts there. I've not only used the above helmets, but have had Sharks, Bell, HJC, you name it on my head. They all fit differently. Seriously. And then even models from one company fit different. A Shoei RF-1100 fits completely different than an X-12 - one my work for you when the other doesn't. Arai's Corsair and Profile have completely different shapes.

So forget brand, color, graphic, whatever. Put the helmets of the different sizes on your head. THEN AND ONLY THEN, start asking questions and making decisions about which OF THE ONES THAT FIT might be better. For those that don't know, you want the helmet really snug, but with no painful pressure spots. With some of the different shapes of helmets, some might even fit somewhat good but you are kissing the inside of the chin piece (this you don't want).

/rant lol.
Thats odd about the RF-1000 and X-12. The Rf was the best helmet I ever have had until I just picke dup the X-12 on a killer deal. Its even better, but fitment between the two is almost identical :dunno:

I have an egg shaped head like Adam Sandler...seems Shoei prefers us egg heads.

BZ

rk97

funny someone else liked their Bell better than their Scorpion.

i just switched from an EXO 400 to a Bell Vortex, and so far, I like the Scorpion better. This weekend will be the real test for the Bell though.

I wouldn't have hesitated to buy another EXO 400 or 700, but the closeout models are old build dates. My Bell was on closeout for $99, and has a build date of May, 2010. it pays to tolerate an ugly design and color.

Gorecki

I'm still rockin an HJC. After a crash and seeing what damage the lid took that my head didn't, I picked up another. Only thing I don't like about them is my sizing the shell is HUGE!