What is everyone using for gas can at the track?

Just wondering what everyone is using for gas can to fill up there bikes at the track? I have and old school gas can that is starting to leak around fill hole and it is pretty slow filling. The vent top strap has also broke off, so give me some ideas what is good and what is everyone using, ALL THIS SNOW IS MAKING ME CRAZY....Scott

GriffinD

:agree:
square_cans.jpg

TLRSKUNK

I have a red VP can and a cheap Cycle Gear knock off. I prefer the Cycle gear one. I hate that the VP can vent pisses fuel when I am dumping fuel into the bike. does anyone have a fix for this?

1dwn5up

Make sure you get a red can for gasoline. Some gas stations, especially in NJ won't fill it up if it ain't red.

For the spillage, I've seen people put some type of venting on it with a knob that they get at Home Depot, but I don't have a pic of it.

andykurz

1dwn5up;300243 wrote: Make sure you get a red can for gasoline. Some gas stations, especially in NJ won't fill it up if it ain't red.

For the spillage, I've seen people put some type of venting on it with a knob that they get at Home Depot, but I don't have a pic of it.
They enforce this at Wawas near NJMP. Enough red tape will suffice, but easier just to buy red.

Where I live in Upstate N.Y we pump our own gas, doesn't matter what color it is, Never heard of this red can color only..Very interesting.. What will they think of next?

andykurz

Blue = Diesel
Yellow = Kerosene
White = Jungle Juice

I think there are laws about storing/transporting in the wrong type of container in other states, but you really only run into trouble if you are in a state like Jersey where you don't pump your own gas.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
TLRSKUNK;300244 wrote: Mine actually leaks out of the little vent by the cap. Has to be the worst place to put it in my eyes.
I have 4 or 5 of these VP cans, I usually use one for my pour/fill can. So it has less fuel in it than the others. Once it's empty, I put some of the fuel from another can in this one. Takes a little extra time, but saves on spills/leaks.

eagle-safety-can-cantastic2.jpg

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I use the old school Blitz 5 gal jugs. Bought more off ebay. HATE the newer carb compliant ones. VPs are nice, but too tall for where I store them in the box on my trailer tongue.

And yeah, red cans for gas.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I have had two round VP fuel cans and hated them. Gave one away and just have the other for when I need more fuel storage. I would have warned you not to buy a round one had I seen this post earlier. The square ones store so much better.

I bought one of these a while back:
FloNGo_DuramaxPump.jpg

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200325161_200325161

I took off the crappy pump handle and replaced it with a garden hose & quick release. I put it in the back of my truck and use gravity to fill 2 gallon cans, which I use to fill the bike.

I buddy of mine bought something like these:

31BMi6aG6ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Utility-Racing-Motocross-Motorcycle/dp/B008AZJ6RU

Having an upper and lower handle makes it so much easier to pour.

Dana

Double check DOT laws in NY. State police were giving tickets on the NYS Thruway for something about gas...the containers, exceeding some kind of limit, how they were strapped down, and not having any hazardous sticker on the back of the trailer.

Meat

You goobers are killing me with the leaky vent cap on the VP jugs.

If the pressure inside the jug, at the vent cap, is greater than the pressure outside then fuel will come out through the vent cap. BTW: the equation for pressure is rho*g*h (rho=density, g=gravity, h=height of column of liquid).

So, take cap off fuel hose, and tighten vent cap slightly. Pour fuel into tank. As you notice the sides of the jug sucking in, open the vent cap.

My vent caps have never spilled fuel and this is always the technique I use.

Dana;300303 wrote: Double check DOT laws in NY. State police were giving tickets on the NYS Thruway for something about gas...the containers, exceeding some kind of limit, how they were strapped down, and not having any hazardous sticker on the back of the trailer.
Thanks for info, My Brother-in-law is A NYS trooper so I will check with him on this....Scott