What is good brake fluid?

KBacon

Been reading the forums and I keep seeing mention of needing to use "good" brake fluid... What is considered "good" brake fluid? I've been using the DOT4 stuff from the local auto parts store.. but was going to flush/bleed the brakes in prep for track day on 6-13...

rugbymook

Control Rider
Race Director
I've used the Motul RBF600 Racing Brake Fluid or the ATE Super Blue for years. Both are very good.

I think they carry the Motul for sale in the NESBA trailer. Not sure.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Another fan of the Motul RBF. It's also a DOT 4, but has a higher boiling point than other DOT4s, which means better track performance.

Whatever you do, don't let anyone tell you to use DOT 5. DOT 5.1 is ok, but DOT 5 is incompatible with systems designed for DOT3/4.

Trent1098S

Motul.

DOT5 will RUIN Brembo systems (and probably others). Some poor bugger on the Ducati boards roached a Brembo master, clutch master, and clutch slave with DOT5 last year.

geekmug

KBacon;133063 wrote: Been reading the forums and I keep seeing mention of needing to use "good" brake fluid... What is considered "good" brake fluid? I've been using the DOT4 stuff from the local auto parts store.. but was going to flush/bleed the brakes in prep for track day on 6-13...
Fluids are like religion, some people worship the almighty Motul and others the divine Amsoil. For what it's worth, replacing your brake fluid with any DOT4 or DOT5.1 fluid that is fresh from a sealed bottle every year will be good enough for a large majority of track day riders.

I'd be interested to hear anyone relate a story of having experienced vapor lock with generic (but fresh!) DOT4 fluid in a motorcycle brake system. A story about car doesn't count because it's not the same, a car is generating *way* more heat in the brake system -- consider that track cars run the same speeds but often weigh 5x or 6x as much and the brake rotors are most often recessed into wheel wells with limited airflow, and they use the same exact fluids.

Needless to say, I'm quite skeptical that your money is well spent buying the $20 bottle versus the $4 bottle. I know I will get replies that "it's $16 worth of peace of mind" but we are really talking about brake fade and not a catastrophic failure. Take your $16 saved and go buy some drill bits and a hose clamp and safety wire your oil plug and filter; that's money better spent for peace of mind.

If money is no object, then you should buy some Castrol SRF because I know of no fluid with higher dry and wet boiling points.

TomCat63

ATE super blue is good stuff.

I Picked up 2 cans on ebay last season and it cured my fading problem.
The Castrol SRF is even better but at twice the price!

ronhix

Hix Racing has used this stuff for the last few years in all our bikes and it is awesome.

apbrake-5.jpg

I think you can get it from the www.Trackdaystore.com

LUCKEDUCK

i just replaced the fluid at the beginning of the season with motorex dot 4 and ive had good luck and little to no fade with this.... you would be happy with pretty much any kind of "performance" fluid.. like its been said before change it every year with a new bottle and you will be good to go!!

Motofun352

Control Rider
I've been using Belray Dot 4 for years...no problems...not cheap at $7 a bottle but certainly not as expensive as the others mentioned. With quite a few bikes and fluid changes every year (even on the classics that don't get used much), the cost adds up fast.

Todd Stinson

My understanding is that the high performance fluids do in fact have higher boiling points but they absorb moisture fairly quickly negating that advantage if the fluid is not changed regularly. Changing the fluid often is the most important thing. Once a year may not be enough if you are looking to maintain optimum performance. I have always used the Valvoline syntec and just changed it 2-3 times per year, which you can afford to do at it's price.

Hyper

Just in case you were wondering

Castrol SRF - dry boiling point 590 wet boiling 518
NEO Super DOT - dry boiling point 585 wet boiling 421
Motul Racing 600 - dry boiling point 585 wet boiling421
Motul DOT 5.1 - dry boiling point 509 wet boiling 365
ATE Type 200/ATE Super Blue - dry boiling point 536 wet boiling 392
Valvoline High Perf Synpower - dry boiling point 503 wet boiling 343
ATE SL - dry boiling point 500 wet boiling 329
Castrol LMA - dry boiling point 450 wet boiling 311
Gunk DOT 4 Brake Fluid - dry boiling point 510 wet boiling 311

DOT 5 Spec - dry boiling point 500 wet boiling 346
DOT 4 Spec - dry boiling point 446 wet boiling 311
DOT 3 Spec - dry boiling point 401 wet boiling 284

rugbymook

Control Rider
Race Director
geekmug;133089 wrote: Fluids are like religion, some people worship the almighty Motul and others the divine Amsoil. For what it's worth, replacing your brake fluid with any DOT4 or DOT5.1 fluid that is fresh from a sealed bottle every year will be good enough for a large majority of track day riders.

I'd be interested to hear anyone relate a story of having experienced vapor lock with generic (but fresh!) DOT4 fluid in a motorcycle brake system. A story about car doesn't count because it's not the same, a car is generating *way* more heat in the brake system -- consider that track cars run the same speeds but often weigh 5x or 6x as much and the brake rotors are most often recessed into wheel wells with limited airflow, and they use the same exact fluids.

Needless to say, I'm quite skeptical that your money is well spent buying the $20 bottle versus the $4 bottle. I know I will get replies that "it's $16 worth of peace of mind" but we are really talking about brake fade and not a catastrophic failure. Take your $16 saved and go buy some drill bits and a hose clamp and safety wire your oil plug and filter; that's money better spent for peace of mind.

If money is no object, then you should buy some Castrol SRF because I know of no fluid with higher dry and wet boiling points

I agree with the bulk of your post, but brake fade can be "catastrophic failure" when your brakes fade too bad to slow down for turn 1.

I switched to Castrol SRF for the race bike in 2008. It is very good fluid, but the majority of riders will not need the $60 brake fluid, so I left it off my first post.

geekmug

rugbymook;133193 wrote: I agree with the bulk of your post, but brake fade can be "catastrophic failure" when your brakes fade too bad to slow down for turn 1.
Point taken! :box:

jimgl3

i am using 5.1 motul because it says it has less tendency to attract moisture, which sounds like a good thing to me. if i'm on the wrong track please tell me...

geekmug

jimgl3;133210 wrote: i am using 5.1 motul because it says it has less tendency to attract moisture, which sounds like a good thing to me. if i'm on the wrong track please tell me...
Generally speaking, DOT 5.1 > DOT 4 > DOT 3, with an appropriate set of prices to match. Brake fluid is designed to absorb water; there will always be moisture ingress in your brake system, and you do not want it pool and boil and become steam, so it is absorbed into the brake fluid. The chemistry of DOT 5.1 is basically the same as DOT 4, but you are stating with a better higher dry boiling point, so the boiling point for a given amount of moisture content is proportionally higher too.