What the eyes look like when riding

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
I have a question for you. In the video, it looks like you stay fairly fixed on a certain point or distance down the track. Do you focus on an area or specific distance ahead? The YCRS guys teach to pick up your reference points but then continue to scan back and forth along the track as you go so that you can adjust your speed as you enter and exit the corner.

Dylan Code

adotjdot;n594093 wrote: I have a question for you. In the video, it looks like you stay fairly fixed on a certain point or distance down the track. Do you focus on an area or specific distance ahead? The YCRS guys teach to pick up your reference points but then continue to scan back and forth along the track as you go so that you can adjust your speed as you enter and exit the corner.
I try to keep my eyes moving like headlights would, to provide a continual and progressive view of the next thing coming from reference point to reference point without dwelling on any particular one for too long. The guys at YCRS may have a good point and I'm sure there is more to it if you ask them for a detailed description of their visual technique.

Here's some data about looking back and forth at things while riding:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccadic_masking

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
Dylan Code;n594103 wrote:

I try to keep my eyes moving like headlights would, to provide a continual and progressive view of the next thing coming from reference point to reference point without dwelling on any particular one for too long. The guys at YCRS may have a good point and I'm sure there is more to it if you ask them for a detailed description of their visual technique.

Here's some data about looking back and forth at things while riding:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccadic_masking
Dylan, thanks for the reply and for posting the video! Great info here. I've been wanting to set up my camera on the bike to point backwards to view my hands and body movements so i can see what I am doing on the bike.

Dylan Code

Yes seeing video of your body position and also what your eyes are doing while riding is very revealing. It's a great self-coaching tool; even better if you can get a trusted coach/mentor/CR to go over it with you.

1dwn5up

Ok, so I didn't read who posted the video when I clicked. The first thing I thought was damn, this guy doesn't blink. Then the next thing I remembered was back in May 2010, Dylan Code saying during CSS how he recorded someone and noticed for a few laps, the guy barely blinked. Wasn't sure if he was talking about himself or another rider. Dylan can you post up the video of the quick-turn up at Loudon, NH?

Dylan Code

1dwn5up;n594115 wrote: Ok, so I didn't read who posted the video when I clicked. The first thing I thought was damn, this guy doesn't blink. Then the next thing I remembered was back in May 2010, Dylan Code saying during CSS how he recorded someone and noticed for a few laps, the guy barely blinked. Wasn't sure if he was talking about himself or another rider. Dylan can you post up the video of the quick-turn up at Loudon, NH?
I need to find that video--that was when we were with Kawasaki so I have not used it for some time...

Keith has been doing a lot of interesting research in the areas of rider positioning on the bike and vision. This video helps illustrate a few points regarding eyes and eye patterns.