what type of generator to use

Meat

So, since I am not going to walk up to someone with a loud generator and beat on them then it must be fine?

I must be too considerate for some. I would really hate to be in a world that everyone only cares for themselves. And it is truly sad that being considerate is even being debated. Part of being a good person, to me, is being considerate to others. Obviously this doesn't appear to be a priority for everyone in this thread. Bummer.

bcrunk11

If "afinepoint", "Meat", or any other "Noise Nazi's" wanna come by my pit stall this Sunday @ Barber, or Road Atlanta July 6-8 to make sure I'm not hindering YOUR Track-Day experience with my $400 generator, feel free. Just make sure you have on your walking shoes or a loud pit bike to ride, cuz I'll be in the "cheap-seats"-as always.

As far as maturity level, I'm SOOOO glad you're in a position to make such a call... Love those keyboard cowboys!!!
Also I've uploaded a pic of my truck & bike to help you find me if necessary. KY Tag-BCRUNK.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
bcrunk11;243995 wrote: If "afinepoint", "Meat", or any other "Noise Nazi's" wanna come by my pit stall this Sunday @ Barber, or Road Atlanta July 6-8 to make sure I'm not hindering YOUR Track-Day experience with my $400 generator, feel free. Just make sure you have on your walking shoes or a loud pit bike to ride, cuz I'll be in the "cheap-seats"-as always.

As far as maturity level, I'm SOOOO glad you're in a position to make such a call... Love those keyboard cowboys!!!
Also I've uploaded a pic of my truck & bike to help you find me if necessary. KY Tag-BCRUNK.
Sounds like you are considerate to pit far enough away so as not to bother anyone, and that's cool. Your initial post just didn't come across that way at all. :)

As long as everyone is considerate and mindful of their neighbors, most paddock areas are big enough so that the loud gennys can be placed far enough away. Then it's all good. As I said before, not everyone can afford the Hon/Yam, and I certainly understand that.

Meat

bcrunk11;243995 wrote: If "afinepoint", "Meat", or any other "Noise Nazi's" wanna come by my pit stall this Sunday @ Barber, or Road Atlanta July 6-8 to make sure I'm not hindering YOUR Track-Day experience with my $400 generator, feel free. Just make sure you have on your walking shoes or a loud pit bike to ride, cuz I'll be in the "cheap-seats"-as always.

That is cute. Keyboard cowboy.

And I like how you are insinuating that you are challenging someone to come to your pits without actually saying so.

There must be some very serious misunderstanding going on here. I am a pretty nice guy and am extremely considerate. I used to have a loud generator when I first started doing track days as well. I had a 100' 10 gauge and a 50' 10 gauge power cord. So, I was aware of my surroundings back then as well.

When I moved to the Southeast, I realized that many of the pits are set up such that it was more difficult to pit near friends and still put my generator far away. So, I got the money together and bought a Honda generator so I could put near friends.

If I didn't have a Honda then I would be pitting on the edges like I used to.

Keyboard Cowboy......hmm. Are you saying that I am some small weak little turd that is hiding behind my keyboard (since you called me out by name)?

And Judy is a considerate person as well but you didn't call her out. But, that probably goes back to you trying to insinuate a challenge to come by your pits and it wouldn't be appropriate to do that to a woman.

I am sorry that being considerate is such a huge challenge for some. It isn't an issue of money it is an issue of common courtesy.

bcrunk11

HondaGalToo;244002 wrote: Sounds like you are considerate to pit far enough away so as not to bother anyone, and that's cool. Your initial post just didn't come across that way at all. :)

As long as everyone is considerate and mindful of their neighbors, most paddock areas are big enough so that the loud gennys can be placed far enough away. Then it's all good. As I said before, not everyone can afford the Hon/Yam, and I certainly understand that.

This isn't directed @ you btw;
Exactly. Typically everyone in the Paddock is considerate, whether it's a generator issue or whatever. It just rashes my ass when a self proclaimed "noob" asks a legit question in the forum and they get swarmed on by the Paddock Police! When I first started riding track days I was reluctant to ask anything on the forum because of responses like this Noob got. I'll bet any track day we go to, there's gonna be @ least one pit-bike that's much louder than any generator on site. Doesn't bother me. Won't whine about it. Won't even flash my Paddock Badge @ em. This is in fact, MOTORSPORTS
...:rtfm:

bcrunk11

First, I apologize for adding your name to my post. I read the posts back-to-back and I screwed up there...My apologies-Really.
However, if you're not sure what cheap-seats are, it usually means FAR AWAY...
And yes, keyboard cowboy is cute...That's why I said it.
Also, if you wanna pretend you're the Paddock Bully, that's cool too...INCREDIBLY mature...and entertaining.

JRA

This really doesn't need to become a pissing match so everybody quit being so defensive.

The reason people object to loud generators because when they are run in close proximity to your pit all day long they are super obnoxious, and the argument that it's a race track and it's supposed to be loud just doesn't hold up. I've used generators at work for months on end and if you have a loud one the generator noise is very fatiguing to listen to. The loud power tools we run off of them don't bother you much because they aren't continuous but by the end of the day all you want is to be away from that genny. Similar to the race track, the loud motorcycle or loud pit bike aren't that bothersome because they aren't blaring in your ear for eight hours straight. These are facts and not really debatable. That doesn't mean you won't be welcome if you have a loud generator.

Many good points have been made here. First and foremost is that in addition to being quiet the Yamaha and Honda generators are good buys because of their reliability and resale value. For those who can't go that route suggestions have been made as how not to annoy your pit neighbors. The OP asked a question and got good advice on what types of generators he should consider. People were understanding if he couldn't afford one of the more expensive ones and gave good advice on how to use the cheaper, loud ones if he went that route.

I think this message board has the most helpful people you will find on any track oriented motorcycle message board anywhere. There are other places where a newbie might get bashed but unless he's just being an ass it isn't here.

JBZ1k

Another idea I have seen around that looks like it could work is where you make a sound barrier box to put around a loud generator. I researched it for awhile before I got my Honda but it looked like a good idea as long as you provide means for air flow.

Dt4629 if this is something you would be interested in shoot me a PM and I will try and find the links or throw some ideas at ya.

j_fuggin_t

Meat;243991 wrote: So, since I am not going to walk up to someone with a loud generator and beat on them then it must be fine?

I must be too considerate for some. I would really hate to be in a world that everyone only cares for themselves. And it is truly sad that being considerate is even being debated. Part of being a good person, to me, is being considerate to others. Obviously this doesn't appear to be a priority for everyone in this thread. Bummer.
there is absolutely nothing wrong with being considerate, alot of folks have no problem putting their generators out further away to help drown out the noise. unfortunately being considerate is also expensive & i can understand why some folks just don't have the honda's or yamaha's they buy what the ultimately can afford. People have a snobbish attitude when it comes to generators and noise, like "don't pit near me" etc.. so i just urge EVERYONE to be courteous and maybe be a little understanding to ppl, a honda generator could = an entire season to some ppl.

This sport is about fun, not bitching and moaning because Joe Schmo has a loud Generac. Life is a bit too short to bitch and moan about petty things..

Ruhe52

No issue with loud genny. That said I have seen dudes pull the thing 30 feet away from them and put it right next to a trailer but 5 feet from someones pit area. My point is if you are loud then you live with it the worst. Don't make others suffer worse than you. This is not Obama Utopia where everyone should suffer the same fate of the most unfortunate. Everyones situation is different get what you can afford. It's not a kiddie soccer league in the 2000's where every one wins and gets a trophy. Do what you can to keep it away from neighbors and or make it less noisy.
Buy what you want. If you go Noisy ass pull start mini bike loud man up and put it right smack dab in your own paddock and live with it.

Let me make the same point for the 100th time
Get what you wish but be considerate DAMN IT!!!!!!!!:argh:

bcrunk11

JBZ1k;244035 wrote: Another idea I have seen around that looks like it could work is where you make a sound barrier box to put around a loud generator. I researched it for awhile before I got my Honda but it looked like a good idea as long as you provide means for air flow.

Dt4629 if this is something you would be interested in shoot me a PM and I will try and find the links or throw some ideas at ya.
First I wanna apologize to everyone for fueling the s**t-storm on this thread. The thread went WAY off base. Anyway, I've seen these barriers before, and I can definetly see how they'd help! Plus if a person got fancy enough with it, it'd be a good way to kind of shield it from weather and such.

Again, sorry everyone. I was obviously on my monthly "man-cycle.":argh:

andykurz

JBZ1k;244035 wrote: Another idea I have seen around that looks like it could work is where you make a sound barrier box to put around a loud generator. I researched it for awhile before I got my Honda but it looked like a good idea as long as you provide means for air flow.

I'd be interested in seeing that. I'm on the market for a budget genny and am interested in any available "kludges." My tow vehicle is a full-size pickup with a cap, and I have wondered if it would help to run a genny in the truck bed with the cap. The cap has windows that you can open, but I imagine the noise would still be reduced. I'm not sure if there are any safety concerns there.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
andykurz;244240 wrote: I'd be interested in seeing that. I'm on the market for a budget genny and am interested in any available "kludges." My tow vehicle is a full-size pickup with a cap, and I have wondered if it would help to run a genny in the truck bed with the cap. The cap has windows that you can open, but I imagine the noise would still be reduced. I'm not sure if there are any safety concerns there.
I'm thinking that might fume up your truck pretty good? On the very rare chance it could catch fire, I'm not sure I'd want it in the truck bed, but I'm paranoid like that! :rolleyes:

andykurz

Fire, good point. Fumes? My truck is really not that nice and I'd rather piss of my truck than piss of my neighbors.

Meat

You may also run into a situation where the generator in the back of your truck runs rich from sucking in exhaust, if it isn't vented well enough. Heck, might work fine in a pinch, of it doesn't catch anything on fire (which is probably rare but I really don't know).

JBZ1k

I had a hard time finding what I was looking for but I did run across this http://www.alpharubicon.com/altenergy/gensetquiet.htm

There will still be a good bit of mechanical noise but from the video it doesn't seem bad. Good placement of the generator and something like this and you might be set.

Sorry I couldn't find the links about the walls but the exhaust is a good place to start.

I spent all that money on the Honda and I still wear earplugs in my pit...I wonder if I could fit a muffler to the wife some way??

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
andykurz;244259 wrote: Fire, good point. Fumes? My truck is really not that nice and I'd rather piss of my truck than piss of my neighbors.
LOL, I was thinking more of you having to breathe them in on the trip home...

03bueller

Control Rider
Not to re-dig this up but I just found out an interesting option for those of us on a budget. One of my stops for my job is a United Rentals locations, through talking with them i discovered that as long as the generator is picked up after 3pm Friday and dropped off before 8am Monday it only counts as a one day rental. They had honda eu3000is gennys (also had the 2k version) for 48 and some change plus a second days refundable deposit. Might be a good way for those of us on a budget who would only use it say 2 weekends a year.