Whats the best way to fall?

snmirab

I have heard some differing opinions about it, and have my own ideas, but wanted to get everyone elses opinion on what to do when you go down. Some people go down all the time and always walk away while others go down infrequently and always seem to get injured. Is it luck?Maybe, but I think there is some institinctive reaction that some have that seems to give better odds. I know things happen so quickly that it's hard to input, comprehend, and react to avoid, but if there is programmed reaction we can try to do to protect ourselves we can try for that first.

Some thoughts I had, once on the ground, where to keep the heals up, legs and back straight and arms across the chest and chin down. Though it seems that most injuries happen on the landing, I don't have any thoughts on that, and don't know if there could be any. Highsides seem to be the worst since there is ejection involved. You see so many of these MotoGP guys that fly off at 150+ and dust themselves off. It seems that when you are as low to the ground as they are, it is more of a sliding action and being a human luge is best.

Anyone's thoughts, experiences?

Tech-D

I haven't crashed on the track but I did lowside on the street, and I just made sure to tuck in everything (legs and arms). It worked good for me. But that is the only time I've crashed.

I'm also interested in everyone's input.

mlmoore

IMHO

[list type=decimal][*]Don't crash[*]Low side, don't High side[*]Slide don't tumbleMake sure you are stopped before you get up (pat the ground)DO NOT stand up until you are sure there are not bikes coming at you. Much better to get run over (survive) than get center punched (survival unlikely)[/list type=decimal]

FrostyFire

slow_honda;17826 wrote: I've had ones where I had time to think and ones where I was on my feet before i knew I crashed and honestly I really didn't think much. Best to try and relax and keep your arms in. Other than that enjoy the ride and hope someone got pics or video.

Be sure to throw in a little profanity too

http://myfilez.net/uploads/videos/WolBarberT5Crash.wmv
Aren't you supposed to turn left there? LOL

I think another one is once the bike has gone down RELEASE yourself from it......I made that mistake the first time I crashed on turn 9 at Pacific, front slipped out, started to lowside and I hung on, front caught traction again which basically launched me into a cart wheel.

n503824835_126482_493.jpg

Dave561

Control Rider
FrostyFire;17837 wrote: Aren't you supposed to turn left there? LOL

That's a little easier when you have a front brake. I seemed to have lost mine in the turn prior to that. Only had the rear brake :doh:

NoBull

I'm not so sure about Bullet #5 above. I've heard of people dying from getting run over on the track, plus getting up makes a smaller, more visible target and gives you the chances of getting the f#!k out of the way.

BTW I'm one of the infrequent crashers that always gets hurt, so I'm aiming for bullet #1 :D

Perlzuki

Don't

Only way to fall is out of the bed! I do anything possible to not crash at track. If someone is faster, or eratic, I let them pass or pit in & get a gap. It is not racing & too many people accept falling a spart of the game! Wrong mindset, just don't!
Hope others give you more help as I don't have enough crash tails to help out on this one!

Mark
SE CR #249
06 GSXR 1000

Rick Johnson

Don't fall shoulder first.Hurts like a bi*ch.Separated mine in early March and it still hurts some but I was able to get back on the track toward the end of May.Oh yeah concussions suck too!:banghead:

allsystemsrgo

Funny that I'm reading this thread. Went down in T2 at Thunderbolt on 9/15 and all I can remember saying to myself is "This is going to hurt". Thank god I didn't break anything but I can't say it's because I did anything right or wrong before or during my fall. I guess there's a lot of variables involved like how fast you're going or how much run-off room is available. Guess luck has a lot to do with it as well...................

HKB3

While I`m crashing all I can think about is that I want to get away from the bike. So as soon as I realize theres no saving it I usually give a good push off the bike, that if there is time to react, my last spill happened so fast I didn`t know I actually crashed till I was sliding across the asphalt.

mlmoore

NoBull;17842 wrote: I'm not so sure about Bullet #5 above. I've heard of people dying from getting run over on the track, plus getting up makes a smaller, more visible target and gives you the chances of getting the f#!k out of the way.:D
As I said earlier this is my opinion based on what I was taught years ago. My only desire is for people to be as safe as possible. I don't mean stay on the track a long time. Just make sure you aren't going to make things worse by jumping up.

Look at it this way. If you are flat on the ground and a bike hits you it WILL hurt but the bike will probably go over you and you most likely will survive. If you stand up without looking and there is a bike coming at you at 50,100,150mph and he doesn't see you soon enough he is going through you not over you. Also if you stay in one place the riders coming up have a better chance of making a move to miss you.

I would say if you do make a move for the side of the track, start in one direction and keep moving. I've seen races where the rider gets up, starts to the edge, sees bikes coming and stops. Deer in the headlight syndrome. The oncoming riders at that point have no idea what the guy on foot is going to do next.

#1 is still the best.

Dave561

Control Rider
Yeah I remember that one. You never forget the first. That was one of those hey I'm standing where's my bike crashes

jaminR6

I was watching the history channel, they said that a guy was sucked up into a twister and landed but didn't brake a bone. right before he was sucked up he was hit by something that knocked him out. Therefore he was lip when he landed, allowing his bones to bend and give. That is good enough for me

snmirab

I have though about the go limp idea, and I have heard that when in a car accident, it is better not to see it coming, so your body is not tensed up during impact, in a sense being limp. But I think it is different when you are on the outside tumbling. I was talking to an avid water skier and he said they are taught to cross their arms so that in their flailing they don't twist a limb the wrong way and dislocate or tear a ligament. I can see the same thing while sliding along. My most recent time off the bike, I got into a head roll that I think was caused by going limp. I was on my butt sliding, thinking everything was find, but the rubber graphics on the side of my suit slowed me down so fast that my torso rolled forward and put me into a head roll.

I can't agree more with the no shoulder first idea. I somehow landed on it and seperated it as well.

Three weeks ago I was watching the 250 races and watched a wreck, immediately the rider went into the position I described in my first post...