Whats your trailer setup?

kawlreaper

A good friend of mine finally has convinced me to take the plunge and get an enclosed trailer. For a couple years now, I have been using an open Harbor Freight trailer which did me well. Its been to Florida a handful of times.VIR, NJMP, Summit, it's share of removing dead trees that have fallen during storms, and COUNTLESS trips to the dump! I searched and didn't see a recent thread about it so I'd thought I'd ask...

How is your trailer set up? Couple of guys Ive seen just throw everything in the trailer and they are always digging through crap to find ANYTHING. But I guess this thread is going also be a product review. The target I am looking for is basically the "weekend warrior" track guy - does a decent amount of track days and starting or thinking about doing WERA/CCS. What things do you consider a "must have" in your trailer? And what product you consider worth it or not? I guess I should put some examples:

• Do you use a regular wheel chock? Self locking chock (such as a Harbor freight or Posse Self locking Chock)? Put bull trailer restraint? what do you like better? Which one you hate? I heard there was a picture of a trailer that had turned over and the bike was still mounted to the trailer...havent seen it.
  • Did you put a different floor like a textured vinyl floor?
  • Do you prefer to use an e-track instead of D-rings?What do you do for fuel storage(gas tank rack)?Do you have a stand rack?

what kind of shelving do you have? That all metal heavy duty stuff or did you go to Lowe's and grab one of those garage organizers?
I KNOW some of this stuff is overkill and I'm not looking to look like a sponsored race team. This was meant as a discussion and for ideas. If you have any pictures...please post them

kawlreaper

R1aven;121764 wrote: I don't have a lot of personal advice for you because everyone has different needs. But, here is a good thread to read through that might give you some ideas about what you would like to do within your trailer.

http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?t=6865&highlight=trailer+pics
Cool. Thanks! I just bought a 5x8 so I am just getting ideas. Like I said - I'm just curious what/how people set up their trailer. For a couple years now, I had a open trailer towed by my Toyota Camry. Now that was a sight! Seeing a 4cyl Camry towing a trailer! My car was STACKED with everything. I just want to make life a little easier for me!

alocker

I have a 5x8 and I gotta say a Pitbull TRS is a must. It may seem big now, but after all your junk is loaded up, its tight. I built a shelf up front out of wood using e-track 2x4 mounts so it removable. Thats keeps the helmet, tools, and sundries of the floor.

jpj

Of all the things I've done with my trailer , the one accessory I like is the Nice Raxx's I've installed.

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
kawlreaper;122265 wrote: Anyone can tell me where I can get a good price on e tracks?
Where are you located? Pickup is essential for a good price. Shipping adds up because of the weight.

+1 on the Pit Bull TRS. Awesome! Ride it up, into the clamps, then let go of the bike and connect the safety clamps. It is so easy, and saves space not having to use straps. Have to use it to believe it. Pit Bull Makes great products. The stands are great, but the TRS is awesome.

dbakerpa

I have an 02 SV so the pitbulls wont work. The Harbor freight chock I got works great. I used E lock system on the walls and floor and used a half inch square tubing with bushing and self tapping screws to make a bar across the top and bottom for my tie dow straps and bungies. This is also good for hanging suits and gloves as well as sweaty underarmor. you should use self tapping metal screws for all your attachments cause the plywood is cheesy.

dbakerpa

Note- as cool as the nice raxx are. I used two fold up ladder racks about a foot apart one over the other and you can hang the stands in one place and it takes less room. a single tie hook under them holds the bungies to keep thenm tight. total cost 12 bucks

Amac955

dbakerpa;122395 wrote: I have an 02 SV so the pitbulls wont work. The Harbor freight chock I got works great. I used E lock system on the walls and floor and used a half inch square tubing with bushing and self tapping screws to make a bar across the top and bottom for my tie dow straps and bungies. This is also good for hanging suits and gloves as well as sweaty underarmor. you should use self tapping metal screws for all your attachments cause the plywood is cheesy.
The Pitbulls will work. They have a system that is designed for the 1st gen SV. I've been hauling my 1st gen SV around with my Pitbull TRS since last spring and love it. I didn't think they had it for first gen SVs either, then I saw it on their website and had to call and ask how it worked. It is ingenious. Buy one.

JVance

I still like the Baxley chock. You probably need a couple tiedown points for good measure but I have transported my bike in a baxley (bolted to the floor) without tiedowns. It was an accident but the Baxley held it just fine. I use a D ring on each side of the bike and tie to the subframe. You can use a T-nut inserted through the underside of the floor to give you mounting points for the Bakley. I have 3 shelves across the front of my trailer. I tie the bike(s) as far to the rear of my trailer as possible to get the weight off the tounge and over the axel. I have a front door on my trailer and placing the bikes in the rear I have plenty of room and easy access to the front.

JOhn

dbakerpa

Amac955;122417 wrote: The Pitbulls will work. They have a system that is designed for the 1st gen SV. I've been hauling my 1st gen SV around with my Pitbull TRS since last spring and love it. I didn't think they had it for first gen SVs either, then I saw it on their website and had to call and ask how it worked. It is ingenious. Buy one.
I looked all through the pit bull site. I must have missed it. does it secure on the rear bolts?
The Harbor freight fixed chock was only 50 bucks but I do love the pit bull system.

Amac955

dbakerpa;122482 wrote: I looked all through the pit bull site. I must have missed it. does it secure on the rear bolts?
The Harbor freight fixed chock was only 50 bucks but I do love the pit bull system.
Just give them a call. I see that they have the pins listed but not the whole system. I'm sure they would still sell a complete kit.

The way that it works is the left side goes over the axle nut (so you will want to get a big pin that clips in and out so you don't have to mess with installing and removing cotter pins throught the axle nut all the time)

On the right, you remove the rectangular plate that goes under the axle (between the axle and outside of the swingarm) and you replace it with a part that pit-bull provides. It is like a plate with a cylinder that shrouds the nut on the axle head and the pitbull pin slides inside of that. I'm not describing it well but it works just as well as any other TRS system (I have 2, and 3 sets of pins).

If you already have a TRS, you can get the pins separate.

kawlreaper

Well..I orderd the pitbull TRS and I just finished painting the inside. I went looking around for e-tracks but they are expensive. The place around me wants about 40.00 per 10 ft..I also went to harbor freight but no luck there..

dlockhart5x

kawlreaper;123019 wrote: Well..I orderd the pitbull TRS and I just finished painting the inside. I went looking around for e-tracks but they are expensive. The place around me wants about 40.00 per 10 ft..I also went to harbor freight but no luck there..

these guys have been pretty good on Etrack
I think I bought 4 dozen or so tie down rings a few years ago for a few $ a piece.
http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.catalog&categoryID=291&gclid=CPyOssyOoKECFYd-5QodfnKlzg

WRT trailer set-up we are using 6 condor chocks which allows us to load out any bike in any of the 6 bike slots in the trailer and also use them for MX bikes when needed too.
I like the flexibilty of the chocks Vs. the "neatness" of the strapless stands.
We have essentially 3 20' strips of etrack on the floor and 2 rows on a wall for securing other items.

kawlreaper

dlockhart5x;123023 wrote: these guys have been pretty good on Etrack
I think I bought 4 dozen or so tie down rings a few years ago for a few $ a piece.
http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.catalog&categoryID=291&gclid=CPyOssyOoKECFYd-5QodfnKlzg

WRT trailer set-up we are using 6 condor chocks which allows us to load out any bike in any of the 6 bike slots in the trailer and also use them for MX bikes when needed too.
I like the flexibilty of the chocks Vs. the "neatness" of the strapless stands.
We have essentially 3 20' strips of etrack on the floor and 2 rows on a wall for securing other items.
awesome Thanks!