1. Forum updates are coming soon. Click HERE for more information and any updates.
    Dismiss Notice

When is the time to step up

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by kawijay, Jun 4, 2019.

1. kawijay

kawijay New to this

Gotta question. When is the right time to go up a level with tires? I am asking because I hear a lot about the Q4's , Perilli's, RS10's, Pilot Sport's etc being awesome track tires but is there really a difference with the commuter/canyon carver.

Lets say you use your bike to go to work with a medium level twisties max speed = 80mph. The same speed for the straights during canyon carving but intermediate twisties. When is a good time to know when to move from a Q3 to the Q4?

2. tdelegram

tdelegram Control Rider

When the q3’s are worn out. Try the q4’s if you don’t like them wear them out and go back to the q3’s. I know a lot of people that made it well into the A ranks on q3’s so either tire will work for you.

3. mdhokie

mdhokie New Member

4. adotjdot

adotjdot Control Rider ATP/3C

Yes!!! Awesome podcast! I highly recommend everyone who has ever had questions about tires to listen to this one. Any even though they are talking about Dunlop, the content is relevant to ANY manufacturer.

5. bmart

bmart Control Rider

I can't out ride my sport touring tires under extreme conditions, two up, knees down, on an ST bike. I'm pretty sure that I can't outride a Q3 set either. I use a lot of Q3 rears on my track bike because they offer such superb feel. I use race fronts only because they aren't any more $ than street fronts.

What traits do you think your current tires may be failing you with?