When to refresh/rebuild motor?

Blueberry

How often do folks refresh and/or rebuild their motors? Do you do this as preventive maintenance (x amount of track miles), when you see performance decrease, etc.? Also, what's the difference/preference between a refresh and rebuild?

I have done ~2500 miles (all track) this season plus 3,000 street miles from the original owner on my '07 CBR600 (stock engine/exhaust). The bike runs great and I'd like it that way! Just making my list for winter PM/upgrades and wonder if this should be on it...

Thanks for any feedback!

Demps

you need to do neither. stock motor at a track day pace will run forever. Just do standard maintence (i.e. change the oil & filter ~4-5 track days, change the air filter and fule filter every year, keep good coolant in it).

:D

Landshark

Control Rider
Compression checks and any trans issues or oil burning. Otherwise run it. I have 7k on my 1k and its all track on a stock engine.

I think Mike Miller has 60k on his 929.

Mr.DJ

Landshark;87320 wrote: Compression checks and any trans issues or oil burning. Otherwise run it. I have 7k on my 1k and its all track on a stock engine.

+1 :agree:

crewnutz

if you run a stock motor it is NEVER cost effective to rebuild or refresh it IMHO

just buy another stock motor and throw it in

only way id ever rebuild or refresh a motor is if i had money into it in the form of a heavy SS or SB build

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Landshark;87320 wrote: Compression checks and any trans issues or oil burning. Otherwise run it. I have 7k on my 1k and its all track on a stock engine.

Agree! But doesn't Mike's CBR pre-date the 929? I'm thinking it's an even older CBR900...and he freakin' rides the wheels off it! :adore:
I've got a 929, awesome bike! :D

Joe Vital

when ever there are huge holes in the cases. otherwise leave it alone, chnage the oil and keep it clean. spend your time and money this winter getting it safety wired.

Dave561

Control Rider
HondaGalToo;87362 wrote: Agree! But doesn't Mike's CBR pre-date the 929? I'm thinking it's an even older CBR900...and he freakin' rides the wheels off it! :adore:
I've got a 929, awesome bike! :D
Yeah it's a 900RR. It's been used and abused and even caught fire but she won't die. Gotta love the Hondas

Blueberry

Thanks all! Sounds pretty cut and dry; no need to touch the motor. I already do the routine oil changes and have safety wiring on the list (took lots of example pics of bikes in the pit!) but will also look to add in air and fuel filter changes in at some interval.

Revvin' Evan

my 07 600rr track bike had almost 11000 miles on it when I sold it. Never one problem with it. Still ran as good as the day it was new. Gotta love Hondas.