Where do you get the next 3 seconds?

tankslapper

I have heard that getting to the next level in terms of lap times requires you to push out of you current comfort level. I have finished my first race season and am about 3-4 seconds from what the podium finishers are running. My question is this. For those you fellow racers that had a step changed in lap times, what did you start doing differently? For example, did you have to start sliding the rear a bit on exit to increase drive out or were you increasing your entry speed or something else. I think having my name sewn on my leathers is good for one second, the bazzaz quick shifter will give me another, but.....

sobottka

when i was an am i never made a big jump (3-4 sec.) all at once but for me going faster was (and still is) all about braking harder and later and carring a little more speed and getting on the gas earlier ...none of that sliding stuff (on a 600). most newer guys dont realize how hard you can brake or how to get on the gas early.

Jiggy

Control Rider
Premises:
Racetrack: ~12 turns
Average speed before Braking: 100mph
increase brake marker by 10ft
After Apex Behavior: Open the throttle .15seconds quicker

Conclusion:
You have just decreased your lap times by .20 seconds/turn = 2.4seconds/lap.

Do not look for the magical turn where you think you are going to pick up 5 seconds. Speed comes in pieces - the sum of which equates to podiums.

sobottka

also remember as you go faster (or try to go faster) your bike set-up will need "get faster" too. in other words a proper set-up capable of 1:38's at barber will quickly get over-ridden in the 32's or not be capable of 32's at all

Jiggy

Control Rider
there is no substitution for practice either. seat time will get you more comfortable for the common ass puckering moments during a race- the result of pushing the limit. Get as much time on a track as you can before racing on it......learn where the bumps are and reference points are.

Wax on, Wax off, Wax on, Wax off.........then use what you have learned when Mr. Miyagi tries to beat the shit out of you in his backyard.

ronhix

Morph;116095 wrote: Rabbit
Bingo...IF, your problem is between your ears.

But, have you worked to own the skills required to go 3 seconds faster? Things happen much faster and tolerances are much more narrow with that big of a jump.

Also, what is your risk tolerance? The bike can do a lot more, but if you ride beyond your skills you will be on the ground. Can you afford to turn off your brain? Sometimes, you have to be willing to put it on the ground.

I'm just saying. :)

G

If u get anough concussions You wont know You cant go that fast:D:asleep:SCREEM

NickMcCoy

tankslapper;116043 wrote: I have heard that getting to the next level in terms of lap times requires you to push out of you current comfort level. I have finished my first race season and am about 3-4 seconds from what the podium finishers are running. My question is this. For those you fellow racers that had a step changed in lap times, what did you start doing differently? For example, did you have to start sliding the rear a bit on exit to increase drive out or were you increasing your entry speed or something else. I think having my name sewn on my leathers is good for one second, the bazzaz quick shifter will give me another, but.....
I think it's different things at different levels. I notice that slower novices lose tons of time in braking and corner entry. But I've also noticed when riding with faster experts that I can brake with them but they will get me in corner and exit speed. I think it comes down to riding with faster riders and realizing where the real threshold is as opposed to what you think it is. You might feel like you're braking at the last possible moment but when someone flies past you and brakes 50 feet later, you realize that it's possible and start letting yourself try to go deeper, carry more lean angle, and get on the gas harder. For me, chasing faster riders and just making myself do it was the biggest thing.

If you're looking for any help, I'll be at BIR and DCTC a bunch this year, I'd be happy to ride with you and try to figure out where you're losing time. Also, I have a couple of race videos from the BIR short course last year that can give you an idea of where I was braking and getting on the gas to run top three as a novice. I started from the back in one of them so you can see where I was making up time on the slower riders.

sasrocks

NickMcCoy;116492 wrote: I think it's different things at different levels. I notice that slower novices lose tons of time in braking and corner entry. But I've also noticed when riding with faster experts that I can brake with them but they will get me in corner and exit speed. I think it comes down to riding with faster riders and realizing where the real threshold is as opposed to what you think it is. You might feel like you're braking at the last possible moment but when someone flies past you and brakes 50 feet later, you realize that it's possible and start letting yourself try to go deeper, carry more lean angle, and get on the gas harder. For me, chasing faster riders and just making myself do it was the biggest thing.
:agree: get more seat time and push every session/race. dont just turn laps at 90%, that is the kiss of mediocrity, you will plateau.

For me, the next area to tackle is entry speed, there is a lot there to be gained. Braking, ironically, less hard, in other words. (less brake, more gas). Higher entry and later apexing will carry over into better exits, for me at least.

After you drop 3-4 seconds over the course of time, you will be at the point of realizing that there is even more on the table. The limit is relative. when trying hard You are always riding at wht you think is the limit, but you are really expanding your own limit, gradually. Just sneak up on it in littl ebites, dont take a big bite all at once. you will end up on your noodle.