Where should I mount my lap timer?

fastfatguy

I know where I can mount the lcd portion of the xt lap timer, but do I need to have a perfectly perpendicular angle between the sendreceive units?

Is it a bad idea to mount the transceiver on the front fender?

I ride an '00 SV 650, no gauge cluster (this is where I'm thinking I'll mount the lcd portion), xt lap timer with a 2' cable. I've got aftermarket plastics, but not sure which brand.

I can upload some pics if needed.

Thanks!

snikwad

laptimerholder3.jpg

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I think he's talking about the other part, the one that picks up the beam. I have mine on the bodywork, below the clip ons, but I'm guessing your SV is nekkid? How about the tail section? I've seen them there. The fender might be a bit low to pick up the beam. Plus if it falls off, it's not gonna be pretty tangled in your front wheel.

fastfatguy

snikwad - got that part covered...

hondagal - I could probably get away with that, attaching it to the body below the clipon's but it would be tight. I thought about the tail section as well, but I'd like to be able to glance at the lcd on the straight.

Here are some pictures that may clear things up. With either option the cord is NOT in the way...

LCD will be mounted on cluster gauge mount.
top_xt_lcd.jpg

transceiver unit mount option 1, on front fender
front_right_xt.jpg

transceiver unit mount option 2, on side plastics
rigth_xt.jpg

Thanks!

HowNowBrownCow_72

attach it to the upper fork tube, or use some double sided tape and put it on the inside of the upper fairing near the stay.

it shouldnt matter where the transponder is placed, as long as it passes the beacon, it will count the lap.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I vote option 2. :) I've also seen them placed on the upper triple, where you have a bracket, although I'm guessing you use that for a camera. I've also seen them put on top of a fork tube...

I mess myself up glancing at it on the straights. I'm actually thinking of moving the entire thing to the tail so I stop sneaking peeks! LOL.

fastfatguy

I went with option 3....

:idea: I visited the XT site and noticed a vertical mount option. So I made my own mount, dipped it in rubber and here is the result! It has velcro around the bottom and sides and it will be zip tied. Oh yeah, I drilled 2 holes on the other side so I can switch it from side to side depending on the track direction.

Thanks for the responses!

Bird's eye view:
DSCF2423.jpg

Side view:
DSCF2424.jpg

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Nice! Once I get race glass on my bike, I'll be thinking about a bracket or something...tired of duct taping it on!