Where to buy small quantities of 2-stage paint

dbarufaldi

Wise ones of the list:

I want to paint my bike with a two-stage process (color base and clearcoat over). I want to use a pro-paint where you mix in hardeners/reducers, rather than a pre-mixed (like color rite). There are kits to be found, but they typically run a couple hundred dollars, and are for a gallon of one color, whereas I really need a pint or two of two or three colors (blue, black, white).

Has anyone had success buying in smaller amounts? Does anyone have a gallon or two they'd like to split up?

I know I can get the bike painted cheaper than I can buy 3 gals of paint and all the chemicals and primer, but that's not the goal - the goal is to paint my own bike with a professional product and semi-professional equipment (which I have) and very little talent (which I also have).

Thoughts?

Dan B

dbarufaldi

BigBird;204426 wrote: http://www.colorrite.com/:dunno:
Colorite is $125/pint and $200/quart. For two colors, you're at $250 without buying reducers, clear & hardner, primer, etc. Clear is another $60, primer another $60, reducer for the color is $25, hardner for clear, reducer for primer......you're well over $400 for a 2pint sized job. Maybe I'm naive, but that seems kind of crazy...

JGardy_781

Summit racing, maybe? No firsthand knowledge on my part, but I bet good quality professional-type paints aren't going to be cheap, and cheap stuff might not be all that great...

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
I did something very similar. I used color-rite spray cans for the color. 3 cans of green, 2 cans black. Eastwood Company 2-part euro clear.

I admire your want to do your own color mixing, but unless you're doing 3 or more sets of bodywork, there will be a lot of waste. The most important parts of a good paint job are uniform colors with a smooth clear coat.

My bike came out pretty good. Many people are stunned when I tell them I did it myself.
Another thing to keep in mind is that unless you already have it, there will be additional cost for all the prep stuff. Cleaners, rags, sandpaper, tape, masking paper, etc. If I ever do another bike, I'm paying to have it done. It's much harder than it looks and a professional 2 color paint job can be got for less than what I spent.

Just my opinion.

dbarufaldi

ninjamansc;204534 wrote: I did something very similar. I used color-rite spray cans for the color. 3 cans of green, 2 cans black. Eastwood Company 2-part euro clear.

I admire your want to do your own color mixing, but unless you're doing 3 or more sets of bodywork, there will be a lot of waste. The most important parts of a good paint job are uniform colors with a smooth clear coat.

My bike came out pretty good. Many people are stunned when I tell them I did it myself.
Another thing to keep in mind is that unless you already have it, there will be additional cost for all the prep stuff. Cleaners, rags, sandpaper, tape, masking paper, etc. If I ever do another bike, I'm paying to have it done. It's much harder than it looks and a professional 2 color paint job can be got for less than what I spent.

Just my opinion.
I already know it's not the most economical approach.......that's not the goal. The goal is to have a bike I painted myself...and I can't get that by paying to have it done.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
dbarufaldi;204549 wrote: I already know it's not the most economical approach.......that's not the goal. The goal is to have a bike I painted myself...and I can't get that by paying to have it done.
Understood. www.eastwood.com has a large selection of basecoats and clears. Single-stage urethanes and two-part activated bases. Plus they carry everything else. A veritable one stop shop. Might not be what you're looking for, just trying to help.

Maybe the best course of action is to consult your local auto body shop to see where they get theirs. Or maybe you could get some partials. :dunno:

D-Swens does bike paint, he'd probably be of more help.

mark1200

ask at your local auto suply stores where to get paint. try to find a knowledgable salesman that actualy knows how to paint. he will be a big help. i found such a guy and was able to do just as u want to do. u can also cheat a bit. u can use sprey can pain for the color then clear coat with the good 2 pt eurathane.
i have had succeses both ways.