Where to Repair bike?/Alternatives

blueninja1

hi all,

i have a major question. ever since i had my off at tbolt 2 months back i've been contemplating how to repair my bike. the throttle has some noticeable play from side to side now. starter switch needs to be played with in order to start the bike and the tires are done. also one of the front fairing stays needs a tab rewelded together and i need some new fairing clips, and other miscellaneous items, no biggy. the right control housing may need to be replaced fully because the locator screw was grounded out. elec. tape is keeping it snug on the bars. i'm wary of taking it to ny motorcycles, even though they are popular around here. I have a feeling they are gona give me a big bill at the end for something that doesnt take long to fix really. It's mostly waiting for the parts that I may need.

I was also considering storing my bike at markbilts shop for the remainder of the season. That would be perfect because he could also fix up my bike and give me a fair price because i know he's a good person. The only problem is that i'll probably spend 500 bucks roundtrip getting a uhaul truck to take the bike all the way out there. i had a car hooked up with a hitch but it died, alas 2k down the drain. i'm on a tight budget and don't know the best way to approach this.

thanks in advance.

Hambone

You could save yourself a little money by DIY. Check ebay and craigslist for parts and get a service manual. It's good for you to get up close and personal with your bike.

blueninja1

trust me. i'm a hazard to myself when it comes to fixing stuff. i soldered my fingers, messed up putting together an xmod, failed at rebuilding a nitro buggy shock absorber, pretty much you name it i mess it up.

JohnS

I emailed one of my buddies to see if he knew of any shops that won't rip you off near Fresh Meadows.

dbarufaldi

blueninja1;202046 wrote: hi all,

i have a major question. ever since i had my off at tbolt 2 months back i've been contemplating how to repair my bike. the throttle has some noticeable play from side to side now. starter switch needs to be played with in order to start the bike and the tires are done. also one of the front fairing stays needs a tab rewelded together and i need some new fairing clips, and other miscellaneous items, no biggy. the right control housing may need to be replaced fully because the locator screw was grounded out. elec. tape is keeping it snug on the bars. i'm wary of taking it to ny motorcycles, even though they are popular around here. I have a feeling they are gona give me a big bill at the end for something that doesnt take long to fix really. It's mostly waiting for the parts that I may need.

I was also considering storing my bike at markbilts shop for the remainder of the season. That would be perfect because he could also fix up my bike and give me a fair price because i know he's a good person. The only problem is that i'll probably spend 500 bucks roundtrip getting a uhaul truck to take the bike all the way out there. i had a car hooked up with a hitch but it died, alas 2k down the drain. i'm on a tight budget and don't know the best way to approach this.

thanks in advance.
No easy way around this - you either learn the skills, or you pay through the nose for repairs. The cheap mechanic route usually results in substandard work...this is why so many guys do their own repairs. There are a few reputable dealers in the tristate area, but know you're going to pay $65-$90/hour labor, plus full retail on parts. Shops need to charge to pay the overhead.

I know you're resistant to trying, but I would buy the parts used on ebay, get a starter set of tools and a service manual. Then, for the first few jobs, connect with another DIY'er who can show you the ropes a little, and start doing things. You'll break some things, do it wrong a few times, skin your knuckles....but you'll learn. And if you develop good habits, you'll never wonder if the front caliper bolts were tightened properly with loctite, as you approach turn one.

The tail on your bike is a good example of this. That thing was a wreck, with a huge hole in it, cracks, etc. I never did fiberglass repair or body work. Bought the materials, read about it online, and just did it. Took me probably 10x's longer than a good bodyman, but I learned a lot along the way, and now when I do my next one, I'll be faster and better (I really need to not crash anymore...). Just had a blowout take out the fender, marker light and wheel/tire, as well as chew up the trailer side. I got the parts online, and that sucker will be up and running soon. Just develop good work habits (work clean, never put on a fastener without tightening it, work in an orderly, organized manner, read first, take pictures, etc).

Sears is having a sale on starter tool sets.....do it. Who knows, you might even get that car working again.

Dan B

JohnS

blueninja1;202065 wrote: what the heck, i'll give it a shot.
there ya go, just take your time!!

But just so you know I heard back already and my buddy said to use Washington cycle works here in Jersey. I have heard lots of good things about Ron's work and used him myself a few times. Probably would not be any closer then Markbuilt though.

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
I would also use Washington Cycle Works, if you can't do the work yourself. Ron has worked on my bikes since I started racing in 2002. He has my R1 right now and that bike is almost done. (Major work being done) I TRUST Ron and his work is excellent! He even found stuff that I wasn't even looking for and keeps you updated on the progress of the repairs! Bring the bike to Ron, you'll be happy with the work.

ZeroBahamutxRR

Lenny ZX9R;202072 wrote: I would also use Washington Cycle Works, if you can't do the work yourself. Ron has worked on my bikes since I started racing in 2002. He has my R1 right now and that bike is almost done. (Major work being done)
That's your bike in there? I was there last night shooting the shit with him when picking up some parts and he was talking about it. He's def the guy to go to.

betarace

get a good set of tools, the service manual for your bike (http://carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals.asp) and start with the easy jobs first. Take pictures each step of disassembly and then reverse the process on reassembly. Ideally find a friend to come help supervise you and answer questions until you become proficient enough to work alone and ask questions of your friend via call or email. Take your time.

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
ZeroBahamutxRR;202084 wrote: That's your bike in there? I was there last night shooting the shit with him when picking up some parts and he was talking about it. He's def the guy to go to.
Yup, Just waiting on some parts!

ZxRegg6r

Blueninja, I understand how you feel bout NY motorcycle. Yes be prepared to come out ya pocket. You can try Nations Cycle Center in Hemstead NY. 39 S. Franklin st (516) 292-3844. Cool folk decent prices. But really in this sport it pays big to learn how to work on your bike yourself. Between ebay and forums you can find parts. May take a while but it pays off in the long run dollar wise. Good Luck!!!

usmc455

Ron is great at wcw. I crashed last ccs at t-bolt and I always have Ron do a safty check on my bike after any crash weather I fix it or not.

avizpls

#11-A
Im all for supporting people working on their own bikes. However, If someones own estimation of themselves does not point towards competency, then perhaps it is not in our best interest to encourage them to forge ahead with repairs. What if something preventable causes an on-track incident.

As simple as putting a wheel spacer/bearing face cone on backwards and causing drag between the wheel and swingarm. Maybe not noticeable as "not-normal" for a first-time mechanic, but wait until it heats up at speed. OK, so maybe that example isnt so likely, but you see what I'm suggesting. We all know we are responsible for each others safety at the track, but please think about us when you're maintaining the bike too, eh?

(sound like the voice of experience? it is: I botched my first throttle cable install and it locked up and I crashed. Fortunately, I didn't harm anyone else.)

dbarufaldi

avizpls;204647 wrote: Im all for supporting people working on their own bikes. However, If someones own estimation of themselves does not point towards competency, then perhaps it is not in our best interest to encourage them to forge ahead with repairs. What if something preventable causes an on-track incident.

As simple as putting a wheel spacer/bearing face cone on backwards and causing drag between the wheel and swingarm. Maybe not noticeable as "not-normal" for a first-time mechanic, but wait until it heats up at speed. OK, so maybe that example isnt so likely, but you see what I'm suggesting. We all know we are responsible for each others safety at the track, but please think about us when you're maintaining the bike too, eh?

(sound like the voice of experience? it is: I botched my first throttle cable install and it locked up and I crashed. Fortunately, I didn't harm anyone else.)
So true - I think the best way to DIY if you have little/no experience is a wrenching day with some buddies. We used to have a few every year, and the newbies could bring their bikes and take advantage of some wisdom (and also borrow the tools they may not have), and walk away with a sense of accomplishment.

One of the things that I think a newbie MUST learn is HOW to work. Having a process you follow for diagnosis, disassembly, reassembly, etc. Just some simple things like not putting in a fastener without tightening it fully, working clean, laying out parts in a logical manner as they come off the bike, having plenty of room around the bike, reading the service manual and planning the repair, and on and on. I think it's these habits that help reduce the probability of mistakes. I also think it's one of the things missing from the lesser quality shops. Too much chaos, clutter and crapola.

Dan B

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
blueninja1;202046 wrote: hi all,

i have a major question.
When have you had a minor question????

:D

Seriously though..you have to start sometime somehow. In the long and the short runs it saves you money.
Buy a starter tool set. For our bikes Metric sockets/wratchet, wrenches and Allen sockets/wrenches, set of pliers, etc should do nicely. OH..and a torque wrench is always a nice touch so you're not overtightening and stripping threads.
That's how I cured what my friends called "Darrin ft/lbs".

Can you do a simple oil change? Start with that..it's where I started. Baby steps. You're abilities and confidence will grow. It's like learning anything else. Simple tasks/problems first..adding complexity along the way. If you need help, take photos of your problem, and post the questions you have here in the Tech section and MAYBE the WERA forum.

BUT be WARNED Brenden of the WERA forum. If you EVER think I've been even slightly tough on you..the WERA BBS is Shark infested waters..and I'm talking GREAT WHITES and Mako Man Eating types. Be VERY respectful.

blueninja1

hehe. i'm headed to the track for the weekend. any chance you comin to nj this season? would be nice to put a face to the name. :D

Fastguy

D-Zum;204719 wrote: If you need help, take photos of your problem, and post the questions you have here in the Tech section and MAYBE the WERA forum.

BUT be WARNED Brenden of the WERA forum. If you EVER think I've been even slightly tough on you..the WERA BBS is Shark infested waters..and I'm talking GREAT WHITES and Mako Man Eating types. Be VERY respectful
:agree:

He speaks the truth!!!!!!!