Which fuel to use?

Teamck16

Hey guys, I bought and ex-vesrah 600 earlier this year with the yoshi em pro and the guy that I bought it from said that it had 2 tunes for different fuels. I foolishly lost his contact info and now I would like to try some alternative fuels-other than 93 octane pump gas but I'm not sure what the tunes are for. Can anyone please give me the short and sweet version of the popular fuels and which one would be good for my bike? I went on the VP website and only got discouraged. Also, if anyone knows how to hook up to this yoshi em pro and could do it at Barber this weekend you would be my friend for life! :D

some guy #2

For a track bike - run 93 pump

For a race bike - run w/e gives the most power (MR12 I think)

I'm sure the price of race gas is what discourages you.

stow

Why do you want to try race fuels? Are you racing and finishing at the front? There is absolutely no need for race fuel unless you are finishing at the front of the pack during a race. Race fuel is expensive. With that said, your best bet is to get a reputable builder to tune your bike. Rick Matheny is up near Road Atlanta and did an amazing job on my Vesrah bike with the Yosh EMPro and Bazzaz system. He will give you a tune for pump gas, which is what I use, and a tune for the best race fuel for your bike. He will also make sure that your cam timing is correct as it will change with different fuels. Your Yosh EMPro should have a fuel map switch that allows you to switch back and forth between the maps.

Lonewrench

How does your cam timing change will fuel maps? I'm thinking the bike depending onwhat year it is will be mapped for pump on one side and Pro V fuel on the other. If the bike is a 2010 or newer then its likely it would be sunoco and Pro V fuel. We can look at it at Barber if you'll be there.

PITZER

My $0.02 worth is...Run pump gas. The exception to this is if the motor is "built" and has more than 14:1 compression. Then you will need to run a higher octane level fuel to reduce the pre detonation in the cylinder.
Other than that, Shane is on target for the most part about spending lots of money to do a track day….Let Chuck check your bike out at Barber and go from there.

stow

Lonewrench;222491 wrote: How does your cam timing change will fuel maps? I'm thinking the bike depending onwhat year it is will be mapped for pump on one side and Pro V fuel on the other. If the bike is a 2010 or newer then its likely it would be sunoco and Pro V fuel. We can look at it at Barber if you'll be there.
I am not a mechanic so I have no idea and only repeating information that was given to me which I may have misunderstood. The exact information that I was given is that the cam timing on my bike was off, and my bike actually went from 128HP to 132HP on pump gas after replacing the kit head gasket with a stock head gasket. The only big change besides new mapping was the cam timing. So I got more power after decreasing compression. So somehow the original tuner made a conscious decision with the cam timing that decreased the horsepower on pump gas. The rationale was maybe they were tuning the bike with some other type of fuel originally that needed different cam timing. Feel free to add any information and professional insight, as I am actually curious how all of this works. :D

Teamck16

The bike is a 2007 GSXR 600 and the reason that I would like to try alternative fuels is pretty basic...I wonder if it will make a difference. I'm not looking to get a 50 gallon drum of the stuff but 4-5 gallons would be nice. I went to the GNF this past weekend and timed the guys and I am amazingly enough... competitive with the novice lap times. Also, It would be nice to know what the yoshi is tuned for just to have the info. I will continue to use pump gas for obvious reasons but why not try better fuel if I have the chance? I would love to have someone give the bike a once over but I have a feeling that It would cost a bit more than 5 gallons of race fuel. CHUCK- It would be great to have you look at the bike if you have the chance and It is within my budget. I will already be coming by Friday night to hopefully get my slicks mounted! :D Thanks for the info guys!

Meat

I think a lot of places run around $275 for initial dyno-tune for race fuel. Then you are looking at $90+ for a can of race fuel, and you will go through oxengenated race fuel faster than regular fuel. 5 gallons of U4.4 womt last you a track day on your 600. There isn't a substantial difference between pump gas and race fuel. That is why people very very rarely run it at a track day, but.....we are in this for fun and the experience. If someone wants to check out race fuel because he wants the experience, then go for it!

Teamck16;222523 wrote: AND I ALMOST FORGOT... it makes me smell faster. ;)
No, if your bike is not tuned for race gas the only smell I detect is money burning :D

Having the TZ I've had to learn about race gas as its what I have to run in it, but the real nice thing in your query Team is Lonewrench (aka Chuck) has offered up his knowledge and help. Meet with him, ask him questions, but most of all LISTEN to a tuner lke him on this subject. Also, at the least, if you dont have any work done on your 600, give him a 6 pack of cold beer. And not Pasbts Blue Ribbon either ya cheap bastage.

BZ

Teamck16

Bubba Zanetti;222524 wrote: No, if your bike is not tuned for race gas the only smell I detect is money burning :D

Having the TZ I've had to learn about race gas as its what I have to run in it, but the real nice thing in your query Team is Lonewrench (aka Chuck) has offered up his knowledge and help. Meet with him, ask him questions, but most of all LISTEN to a tuner lke him on this subject. Also, at the least, if you dont have any work done on your 600, give him a 6 pack of cold beer. And not Pasbts Blue Ribbon either ya cheap bastage.

BZ
So let me get this straight. I should listen to someone that is much more knowledgeable than me and then pay him for any services rendered? THATS A GREAT IDEA!!! :doh:

Ruhe52

Marlboro Lights Chuck has no use for beer. Bubba you were helping many here have tried to help Team but alas it is never up to his high standards.
D Zum your up!!!!!

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
He he he he he....:doh:

A guy that's been upset about a $20 late fee or $20 to flip a tire (both cause by his own issues, yet he takes them out on others because personal accountability seems beyond him) wants to spend $125ish for 5 gallons of MR12.

Previous posts considered and lack of logic contained within cause me to pause..and decide that my time would be better spent getting some sleep for the drive to Barber tomorrow.

Mr. Ruhe I look forward to seeing you again as always.

Meat

Yep, I thought BZ was being helpful as well. I need to consult Ruhe or Dzum to find out who is in the Blueninja personality fan club before I try to give my input.

stow

I am just glad this thread is no longer about me not knowing anything about engines. I understand fuel, air, spark, and bang.

Mr.DJ

stow;222666 wrote: I am just glad this thread is no longer about me not knowing anything about engines. I understand fuel, air, spark, and bang.
See, once again you forgot compression :D

stow

Mr.DJ;222673 wrote: See, once again you forgot compression :D
:nutkick: I will show you compression. :D

I am just sad because you guys are going to be having fun without me this weekend. The good news is I am on track to drop the self imposed austerity measures by the first of May. Of course Road Atlanta is a free pass, so feel free to add a March and April date.

rk97

Teamck16;222518 wrote: I went to the GNF this past weekend and timed the guys and I am amazingly enough... competitive with the novice lap times.
Until you can finish on the podium consistently with 93 octane, all race fuel is going to do is take away money from tires and seat time.

Using race fuel in a novice race is like using steroids in a little league game. Sure it might help you place higher, or win, but all it's really doing is giving you a false sense of accomplishment.

Ruhe, D-Zum & Meat:

I really was trying be helpful, but thats what I get for trying to help one of the social retards on the board.

No good deed goes unpunished.

BZ