Who's ready to buy this guy a beer?

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Most of us, myself included, break the occasional speed limit from time to time. Around the Baltimore/DC area they have Jeep Liberty's set up to take pictures of speeding motorists and mail them a $75+ ticket for their trouble. A friend of mine got one in DC for $150. Well, I guess this guy didn't like the notice he got in the mail and decided to do something about it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/man-wielding-hammer-shotgun-attacks-speed-camera-vehicle-on-bw-parkway/2011/07/06/gIQA4OvA1H_story.html

Needless to say, I think there are a bunch of people around here that are applauding his efforts, even if he did break the law.

YamaR6

Using cameras is like cheating. In AZ they use them on poles on freeways for speeding and here in Philly they use them for running red lights(that one doesn't bother me as much as the speeding ones). Just one more way to get a dollar with out paying someone to actually write the ticket.

borislav

Control Rider
You have to be VERY carefull in DC because they insalled a lot of new cameras all over the city!

Mikey75702

borislav;200331 wrote: You have to be VERY carefull in DC because they insalled a lot of new cameras all over the city!
At least the older cameras in dc have the little lines on the ground to show you where to go slow :D.... Not sure about the newer ones.

The cars on the highway they are trying tk get slick with. The jeep on 295 south (where the story happened) is IN THE WOODS. They backed it off the road, and touched the woods... They are trying to be sneaky with a 3 ton white jeep.... Kinda funny.

Dieselboy

Woods, flannel, shotgun. It's all starting to add up...

deliverance-3.jpg

mjkuhno

Speed cameras

Yeah, wasn't too pleased last year when I helped my nephew move to DC and got a surprise in the mail a few weeks later.

Got two tickets in the mail, taken from speed cameras 3 miles apart. Not cool.

Wasn't too happy about that one....

ChasingChaos

My hats off to him! Glad he got away and that he didn't start shooting the car with the shotgun and end up on manslaughter charges.

Landshark

Control Rider
Buckeye96;200390 wrote: DC generates close to $40 million a year with their red light and speed cameras.
All of which goes where? DC is the only place that gives 2 points for a seat belt violation.
They actually have cameras set up to record how long you park in a spot. Regardless if you pay for the time any amount over two hours without moving the vehicle results in a citation. How the hell can you possibly explore the one of many museums and monuments in 2 hours.

Buckeye96

Landshark;200416 wrote: All of which goes where? DC is the only place that gives 2 points for a seat belt violation.
They actually have cameras set up to record how long you park in a spot. Regardless if you pay for the time any amount over two hours without moving the vehicle results in a citation. How the hell can you possibly explore the one of many museums and monuments in 2 hours.
I think 50-60% of the funds generated goes to the company doing the analysis and sending out the tickets. its all a big fvcking scam and 1 of the main reasons I don't go into the city anymore.

Fastguy

ChasingChaos;200387 wrote: My hats off to him! Glad he got away and that he didn't start shooting the car with the shotgun and end up on manslaughter charges.
I agree!

Having a private company with the ability to issue tickets (for profit) seems very unfair.

Its expected of the government :rolleyes:

rk97

actually I'd punch the guy in the face for causing the highway to be shut down for 3 hours. DC traffic is miserable as it is.

speed cameras are total BS. If you look it up, it's likely a "civil fine" and not a criminal infraction. Thus they can 'convict' you without having to deal with the pesky "innocent until proven guilty" and "right to a fair and speedy trial" requirements of our judicial system.

I saw on the news that the Los Angeles speeding cameras mail a ticket, but there is no penalty for simply ignoring it. It's not points, and they can't summon you to court for it. The records system is totally separate from any other criminal offense.

NoBull

Pretty much every major roadwork on interstates in MD now end with a speed camera. There's a sign before the roadwork start that photo ticketing is in use and right at the end of the roadwork you'll see a jeep or similar like the story says which has the camera.

BTW I think I'm that friend Jim is referring to. New York Avenue on Christmas day. No traffic and 6 lanes with a 35 mph speed limit. I was going 50. Ticket was $125.