Why choose NESBA?

thesnowgod

Don't take this as me being a smart@ss. :D I'm not.

I've been reading through all the track day organizations and I see there are about 10 or 11 that do track days here in the North East. I'm specifically looking at Pocono because it's so close to me.

I'm wondering if there is something I'm missing though. I know other places have a different price structure if you aren't a member, otherwise all the prices seem pretty much the same. I read through the Member Perks section too. Some of it really wouldn't apply to me. To start out, I'll probably only do one track day this season (I hope to!) and try to do 2 or 3 next year.

What I'm asking is, why should someone choose NESBA over another? Keep in mind, this is the only forum I ever bothered to register with and I've already seen that the members and CRs that post in here are really dedicated to safety AND a good time (that's what sold me). I'm just wondering what else there is that makes NESBA better. Obviously, I know you are all biased here, but give it to me anyways.

Thanks.

vanbreezy

I'll try to help. Now i'm biased most of the trackdays i have done are with NESBA. This is why i'm run for the most part with them. The atmosphere at the track is for all intense and purposes like an extended family. If you need help with a part, a tool,fixing something, anything, just ask. The CR's are helpful. A great tool to learn and the focus is on safety. The paddock is a great place to be over a weekend. I have done days with NESBA in the Southeast region & Mid-atlantic region the paddock is the same in both regions friendly. Any question feel free to pm me.

beac83

I live in Chicago, so it may be different here in the MW. But I doubt it.

That said, this is my first year doing track days. My first attempt at Intro, my bike wasn't ready and it poured rain anyway. I was able to sit in on the beginner's class, and the guys pitted next to me couldn't have been more welcoming, even though it was raining cats and dogs with strong winds. NESBA offered to let me do an Intro at a later date (not count this day). I was so impressed at what I experienced that day that I joined NESBA and signed up for a full day.

On my next track day attempt, my battery died and my chain did not pass tech (too tight) I was able to borrow a battery and tools (I didn't bring the correct socket or torque wrench for my axle :doh:) from total strangers and get onto the track on time. When I crashed that afternoon (due to my lack of skill), folks came by to make sure I was alright (I was only banged and bruised), helped me pack up, and were concerned about my driving the 2.5 hours home as my helmet had taken a beating from my bike in the crash and I had a pretty good headache going. When I talked with the Corner Worker she explained what she saw me do and what happened. Others helped out to see if the bike could be quickly fixed so that I might be able to get back out there that day.

I fixed the bike and did another weekend (2 track days) this month. Again, I was made to feel right at home. Pit neighbors were once again friendly and helpful. I was more than a bit timid in the corners after my crash in July, but nobody in my B group gave me a hard time about it. They just waited and passed when able. The CR's worked with me extensively to help me regain confidence. By Sunday afternoon I had picked up the pace a lot (and caught the track addiction :D ).

I bought some stands from a guy on another local forum who is ending his track days (with another org) because he did not feel comfortable going alone to the track. He crashed at some point, and that left him feeling vulnerable. He would not detail what happened, but kept mentioning being alone. With the way I have been welcomed into NESBA and my experience after my crash, I can't imagine the NESBA guys not helping me out by packing my pit and loading what was left of my bike if I crashed and left in an ambulance. I do not believe I'd be left hanging or alone.

I haven't yet done a track day with another org. I have one purchased for 28 Sept to feed my addiction and fit into my fall class schedule, so after that I'll have something to compare. I'll check this thread again and post my impressions if this is still alive then.

At age 52, after 30+ years of street riding on standards, tourers, and sport bikes, I've learned I don't know much about riding track. And it's likely obvious to all at the track. Everyone I've dealt with at NESBA has made me feel welcome, has helped me learn and improve, and has made me feel like one of the family, even though I'm an old fart and a noob. (And I'm not the only noob over 50 in the MW region who feels this way.) My skills have improved, I'm learning, having a great time, and everyone I deal with at NESBA - other riders, CR's and track day staff and NESBA trackside vendors are assisting and supporting that progress. I can't wait to ride on 19 Oct with NESBA (my next NESBA track day). :tothetrack:

I could not ask for more.

JonnyZ!

Personnel and People aside...

The event insurance alone is the single best reason for riding with NESBA. I can't tell you how generous that is........
O.K. I can......
Riding with another Organization......... A little heavy handed that morn.....ejected ....broken clavicle.

Not only did I eat the days cost....I ate Sunday's cost as well. :argh:

NESBA

if before lunch......1/2 day credit
FULL CREDIT next day!!!!!!!

Running 2 stroke It's not infrequent to have a mechanical that ends the day early.....

If before lunch........ 1/2 day credit....
FULL CREDIT IF YOU CAN'T ROLL THE NEXT DAY!

THANK YOU ......THANK YOU ......THANK YOU!!!!!!!

and .......

THANK YOU!!
:adore:

PJZOCC624

Hey Snow.... good to see another upstater getting in on the track day bandwagon!

Normally, I'd say try and do one track day with each org, and see where you feel you fit in the best. They all have their good/bad, pros/cons, personalities, etc. And at the end of the day, they all give you a chance to get to the track. And really, isn't that the whole point?

Having said that... I've done TDs with other orgs across the country. Nobody - NOBODY - gives you as much "bang for the buck" as NESBA does with their track days. You get: suspension help, expert instruction, crash/mechanical insurance, etc., for NO EXTRA CHARGE (some/many orgs charge extra for some of these services). Plus, the multi-day discounts, and free tires for 15 TDs... its all good stuff. Now, you mentioned that you didn't feel you'd use many of the "perks"; I'd hope you were referring to the free tire thing, because that's ALOT of days to many people. But the rest of the perks (suspension help, instruction, etc), you may not THINK you'll utilize these things, but surely you will. If you desire to be good, excel, improve at any endeavor you undertake, you will.

That's the business side of things... From what I've experienced elsewhere, NESBA puts on the safest of any TD I've ever attended. No question, hands down! Now, you may hear from time to time that NESBA is overly strict on their classes, and you WILL hear/see people complaining that they having gotten the bump to the next level, and that they've been slighted somehow by the CRs. Let me say this... NOBODY is as fast as they think they are, especially if you have to ask/beg to be bumped up! Now, NESBA may take longer to bump someone up, but it all goes along with the safety issue, making very sure that you are READY for the next level. The best thing you can do is be humble about your ability, ask alot of questions (EXCEPT "How do I get bumped to I/A?") and apply what you've heard/learned. The CRs with NESBA are very helpful, very approachable, and always willing to teach. (Just becareful of some of the Syracuse crew.... alot of posers in that group.... ALOT of posers....)

Lastly, I've met some of the most helpful, encouraging, generous, and knowledgable people at NESBA. The atmosphere is relaxed, the folks are friendly, and there ALWAYS someone willing to lend a tool, hand, awning, or gas if you need it. This may be secondary to the track in alot of people's minds (since they do TDs to ride the track....) but for me the entire experience from the paddock to the track to the night life is all part of the deal. Really, a great group here.

Look around, there's ALOT of guys from CNY on here. Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions or specific things you'd like to know. Good luck and see you at the track!

antirich

One difference that I've noticed is the cost. I've ran with 4 different clubs this year at NJMP, and by far NESBA was the cheapest. I know that's not something that should be a deal maker, but I mean the cost difference is fairly significant. The most I've paid was $215 for Lightning date from another club. NESBA has been 150 and 160 for NJMP dates. There's even two other small clubs that are charging $300/day for NJMP, but I didn't sign up for them.

What makes it even more strange is on top of the low cost, you get a lot of benefits with NESBA that many clubs have cut out. Almost makes me suspicious ;-)

But to be fair an balanced®, there are some operation issues that are a bit different that I don't 100% agree with, but hey, it pails to some of the cluster F*k things I've seen at other clubs. Most of these are not an issue with the Advance group, so we'll see what happens. But hey, I think they do a great job and I'll keep coming back.

thesnowgod

Great replies guys. Really what I was expecting actually. I think more than anything else, the "friendly" aspect is what attracted me. I hate it when someone feels like they can't ask something. Everyone here seems pretty cool and up for helping someone out.

I'll be doing a trackday sometime next month or in October, just not 100% certain. Rest assured, I'll be posting about it when I do! Looking forward to seeing some of you on the track too.

Thanks again for the replies!

ridelater

i have been running w/ tpm, nesba ans stt since 03' and they all have good and bad points.
if i had to pick one in would be nesba it just better all around. That said i run every and any group that has a day that fits my schedule. the difference are there but when you put the bullshit aside its still track time no matter what group you run
:cheers:see you at the track

riddler

:agree:

most of us have other things in our lives that dictate schedule and track organization selection. There are little pros and cons to all. I have rode with 5 orgs in the past 10 years and only one small new org was poorly run... overbooked, and lack of control, kind of a free for all.

This year I ran with 3 orgs. All had decently run safety focused days. I am a big fan of NESBA and STT with NESBA in a slight lead. I like the slightly more strict protocol for bumping up groups. It forces you to get feedback from CRs and really work on technique in the pursuit of better riding rather than pushing over your head to make the next group.

LOrtega

Control Rider
I dont bash one way or another thats not cool and at the end of the day we are all in the same boat. I believe every organization is giving you track time and we all hope you enjoy your time.

WITH THAT SAID
We have the most orangie orange shirts and thats what makes us the best!!!!!!!!
NUFF SAID
:adore:

GoodKnight

As has been said in another post, every group has it's pros and cons. My advice is to try as many as you can and see which one fits you best.

I will say that NESBA is the most consistent with their groups, meaning people are riding in the groups they belong in. In some other orgs, there are people in the advance group who dont belong there.

thesnowgod

:D Now you guys have me laughin'. As far as trying as many organizations as possible.... I wish! I'm hoping between time and money to just able to join ONE and do ONE track day this year.

If I could have a dedicated track bike I would, and then simply do TDs every weekend possible. Biggest fear at this point is wrecking my streetbike. It's paid for and I built it myself (long story but you can find it on my site). If I were to wreck it, I'd have to get working on the plastics all over again.

I know, I know, asphalt loves pretty plastics. :D I've got an extra set of really nasty plastics I should throw on the bike ahead of time, I'm just too darn lazy to do it.

Again, I hope to see you all soon.

LOrtega

Control Rider
OHH OH OH and if you do NJMP with NESBA you get to borrow a cool NESBA kick stand puck COME ON MAN ARE YOU SOLD YET OR WHAT.

Could someone please post a picture of our kickstand puck!!!

arshishb

LOrtega;10096 wrote: OHH OH OH and if you do NJMP with NESBA you get to borrow a cool NESBA kick stand puck COME ON MAN ARE YOU SOLD YET OR WHAT.

Could someone please post a picture of our kickstand puck!!!
Oh, we were supposed to borrow it? :eek:uttahere: