Why is it always something? Stuck Injector?

HavocCat

Chris
Has anyone ever had a stuck injector on a bike? I have one cylinder on my bike which I believe is running slightly richer than the other 3, with seemingly no cause. The bike is definitely running rich, wondering if anyone here has ever had this issue before. . .

borislav

Control Rider
How do you know it is stuck injector!
Maybe there is something going on with your fuel trim on your fuel management (if you have one)!?
If you do have stuck injector what happens is your injector is operated by electronic solenoid/ecu when to open and close.If stuck open injector is slowly dripping and filling your cylinder while engine is off which can cause in mild case hard start or in severe case hydrolock which can cause severe engine damage (like bent conectors rod, cracked piston...)
Now injectors operation time (fuel spray time) is called pulse which is also controlled by ecu and additional fuel management system (if you have one) so if that plus is a little longer on that cylinder it can also cause rich condition...
Long story short take it to the shop to get checked out!

R1Baby

Control Rider
What he said. I have seen many clogged injectors, but never stuck open one. Do you have O2 sensors in all the header pipes and this is how you are seeing this?

tdelegram

Control Rider
Guessing you know this already but in the event you don't, for inline 4's the middle 2 cylinders, 2 & 3 are set up to run richer then 1 & 4 due to the higher operating temperature. Bo's post above is accurate.

borislav

Control Rider
Hey at least you don't need forensic scientist any more to figure out that stuff, I'm making progress!:D

HavocCat

Chris
I figured it out guys. I appreciate all the input. When I pulled the spark plugs what I read was that 3 was slightly richer than the rest.

As it turns out, I am an idiot, and my clutch bypass trick did not work. Bike was being mapped richer because of the missing clutch switch.

I had to rob the clutch switch off my R1, it's the same one, and it's not gonna be needing it this weekend. ;)

TO THE PITT RACE! :eek::eek::eek::p:p:p:D:D:D

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Glad you figured it out. Yes, Suzuki GSXRs need the clutch switch or it keeps it in a sort of choke mode or something. I forget. But yeah, clutch switch. Don't leave home without it! :p