Why Passing in the Corners Should NOT be Allowed in B Group. EVER

Pseudolus

daddyfriedrich;255598 wrote: Knock wood I've only had one bad experience on track with another rider, got pushed into grass at the kink on VIR north. .
Funny you mention that. I was on VIR North for California Superbike levels 1 & 2 August 15 and 16. We had a guy in the class who at the end of day 2, proclaimed that he was "so proud because he wasn't pulled off track to sit out any sessions on day 2 due to dangerous behavior." He was still pulled off track on day 2 (and numerous times on day 1) but wasn't forced to sit, but hey, we all have different standards of excellence. :dunno:

Anyway, on day 1, I was setting him up for a pass as the kink approached after going to school on him for 2 laps and he veered right into my line. A more experienced rider could have made the kink at 100+ MPH and I did at least make an effort but the bike felt like 10,000 lbs of concrete, so I straightened it up and shot into the grass. I finally killed off my speed by the entrance to turn 1 only to find the session had been red flagged. Apparently 5 of us had gone off track near the same time.

One of the most hilarious moments of my short track hobby was assembling in pit lane after the red flag to have Collin, clearly seething with anger, open the discussion with "Yall have clearly lost your phukking minds!"

I then needed the remainder of the school to get over my fear of that kink........

That experience made me understand what the CRs at NESBA mean when they say "if there's a doubt about whether you can make it, it's too late." And "don't ride angry." I violated both principles that day and never want to face that terror again.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Pseudolus;255669 wrote:
That experience made me understand what the CRs at NESBA mean when they say "if there's a doubt about whether you can make it, it's too late." And "don't ride angry." I violated both principles that day and never want to face that terror again.
My Dad told me about the anger part years ago when I first started riding, even on dirt bikes. Man o man, was he ever spot on!

Don't be afraid of the kink...embrace it. I can get my little 600 up to about 130 passing the tree. I found I have to act like I want to ride into the tree, but when you're carrying enough momentum, the bikes natural tendency to go straight sets you up (Or me, at least) on the perfect line through there.

I used to eat people alive there, because everyone in B was afraid of that part. Now I just barely fit in with the others in I group. :doh: To be honest, I'd be afraid of that kink a lot more if I was riding a 180HP monster S1000 like you are. :D

Pseudolus

Otto Man;255672 wrote: My Dad told me about the anger part years ago when I first started riding, even on dirt bikes. Man o man, was he ever spot on!

Don't be afraid of the kink...embrace it. I can get my little 600 up to about 130 passing the tree. I found I have to act like I want to ride into the tree, but when you're carrying enough momentum, the bikes natural tendency to go straight sets you up (Or me, at least) on the perfect line through there.

I used to eat people alive there, because everyone in B was afraid of that part. Now I just barely fit in with the others in I group. :doh: To be honest, I'd be afraid of that kink a lot more if I was riding a 180HP monster S1000 like you are. :D
LOL! I definitely used the tree to gradually get over the fear but I was so scarred by that moment of helplessness when I realized I had to go into the grass and I fully expected a vicious off that mentally, I couldn't bring myself to be accelerating through that part for the remainder of the school. My coach did get me to stop chopping throttle by day two and I used maintenance throttle after that. I have unfinished business at VIR!:D

warregl

The Kink seems to mess with people. I had a close call there once as well when a slower rider came across my line for no apparent reason. As the day goes on and pace increases I think that one slips up on people.